Amazon HID kit- INNOVITED 55w 5000k in stock projectors - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,226 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Amazon HID kit- INNOVITED 55w 5000k in stock projectors

Attention everyone. If your HIDís flicker itís not the kit itís your truck! AlfaOBD fixes this. @Xokia did some research to see if the software actually changes your trucks settings to allow HIDís and sure enough it does.

Hereís his thread

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...-alphaobd.html

If after performing this fix and your HIDís still donít work then itís probably your kit that needs to be replaced.

Link to software that allows you to run HIDís in your truck

AlfaOBD

Incase your wondering if the less expensive kits work in our trucks..the answer is yes.

The Retro Fit Source had me sold on the idea I needed a 2015+ Mopar HID Kit that comes with a harness specifically designed for our CANBUS trucks. While thereís nothing wrong with their kit or their harness (successfully ran them on my past 2 trucks) is it really necessary to spend $200+ dollars?

I found a guy on YouTube whose running this same (amazon) kit on his 1500 and his works with no issues. So it got me thinking, could it work on a 2500 as well?

So I ordered the parts. A whopping $58 and received them today. I installed them and as soon as I fired them up they both ignited with no startup issues. Truck on or off. No issues starting up. No flickering or bulb out error message.

Now I know what your thinking, itís too soon to tell if theyíll be worth it long term. And to that I would have to agree. However if these prove to be worth it then it definitely saved me a ton of money and I hope it will save you money as well.

Whatís interesting is both Diode Dynamics and INNOVITED kits are designed the same way. For one itís way fewer parts then TRS says you need in a kit. Plus theyíre both less expensive than TRS. However Diode Dynamics kits costs $150 plus you need the anti flicker capacitor for another $30 for a total of $180. Maybe itís for overhead costs? Probably why Amazon is cheaper? Direct to consumer?

Anywho..hereís what TRS says I needed. HD relay, 4 load resistors, plus a anti flicker capacitor.

Hereís what INNOVITED sent me. Much simpler..inside the box is the ballast and bulbs and in the ziploc baggie are the anti flicker capacitors. (Again same setup as diode dynamics but half the cost!)

Hereís whatís inside

And here it is installed ready to go. Again much less parts! Which means less places to have to mount all the additional parts TRS says I needed. All I had to do was mount 1 ballast per side which was 1 screw.

Once it gets dark Iíll take plenty of photos to show light output.

In closing this isnít a knock to TRS. Yes their kits work and yes Iíve successfully ran them in the past. However I donít like being sold a bill of goods that I need all those parts. If I can run less parts at a fraction of the price then Iíd say this was a huge win. I also understand the value of running a HD relay.

If in two weeks or two months these fail then o well. Lesson learned right.

Like @K9Kodi once told me, you never know until you try. Plus this will erase the myth that all amazon kits are cheap.

Link to parts

HID KIT

ANTI FLICKER CAPACITORS

YouTube channel of the guy who tried it on his truck

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boosted2k

link to other thread where my TRS kit wouldnít work

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...u-hid-kit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'14 6.7 S465 tuned by CTT
'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
'18 6.7 S467.7 tuned by CTT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
5001craig (05-12-2019), azjohnnyo (10-20-2018), Bama Ram (11-01-2018), Graybeast (12-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Incase anyone is wondering.. here’s some good info. Currently posted on page 12 but I figure I’d relocate to the first page so no one has to go digging for this info.

How Projector Headlights Work

Projector headlight use a very simple design. At it’s most basic form, there are three parts:

Reflector
Lens
Light source (halogen bulb, HID or LED)

The reflector portion is similar to what you see in a flashlight. It’s a reflective half-sphere that throws the light from the light source in a specific direction.

The lens bends, spreads or concentrates the light. The distance the light source and reflector are from the lens determine the intensity and dissipation or concentration of the light.

Similar to a Magnifying Glass

An easy way to wrap your head around this is to compare this to a handheld magnifying glass. If you’ve ever been 9 years old, you know that when you take a magnifying glass outside on a sunny day you can have some fun. If you line things up just right with the sunlight and a dry leaf, the magnifying glass lens will concentrate the sunlight to a fine point and the leaf will begin to burn and smoke. If the magnifying glass is held too closely, or too far away, the light spreads and the leaf doesn’t burn.

The Cutoff Shield

The cutoff shield creates a distinct light barrier so that the light coming out of the headlight is concentrated out and down, and keeps the light from exiting out and up, which would blind oncoming traffic. You’ll probably recognize this, but here is a shot of the distinct barrier that a cutoff shield produces:

The Solenoid

Without the cutoff shield, you’d get a more round light output shape, similar to a flashlight. Which leads me to the next component of the headlight, which is the solenoid. The solenoid controls the high and low beams. The cutoff that you see above is for the low beams. When the high beams are engages, the solenoid drops the cutoff shield out of the way allowing all of the light the pass through, giving you full light output, or in other words, your high beams.

Pros & Cons of Projector Headlights

Pros:

Even distribution of light with little to no “hot spots” or intense and weak spots.
Distinct cutoff of low beams, which keeps oncoming traffic from being blinded.
Because of the distinct cutoff, projectors can handle a brighter headlight bulb, namely high intensity discharge (HID) bulbs.
A brighter headlight bulb provides a better night driving experience.
Projectors look awesome.

Cons:

The light output looks different than that of a reflector headlight. Most like it or prefer it, but there are some that don’t. It’s a matter of opinion. You’ll have to make that call yourself.

How Does a Reflector Headlight Work?

Reflector headlight use an even more simple design. It consists of a light source (headlight bulb) that is situated in the middle of the reflector cup. Here is a cross section of that design:

Pros & Cons of a Reflector Headlights

Pros:

Simple design. Less expensive to manufacture

Cons:

Light output is less controlled and the low beam cutoff for oncoming traffic is less distinct.
Because the light output is a less controlled, high output light sources are not used with this design. Most reflector headlights use a halogen bulb which puts out less hight than an HID.
The beam often has intense and weak spots in the beam.

Info taken from website I found on google

https://bestheadlightbulbs.com/proje...which-is-best/

Too Tall likes this.

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
Bama Ram (11-01-2018)
post #3 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Diesel Head

I’m totally tempted to try these. Do they only offer 55w? I can’t figure out what else they sell on my phone.

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Iím totally tempted to try these. Do they only offer 55w? I canít figure out what else they sell on my phone.
They offer 35w kits as well. Just have to search on amazon. I saw them on there. About $10 less.

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
post #5 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Nuff said.

Too Tall and Spartacus like this.

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
post #6 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Interested in how they work out. I want to go black factory style projectors up front eventually.

16 3500 SRW RCLB G56 4x4- Thuren/Carli/Fox - 285 75/18 Cooper AT3s; FTE / Aero Turbine / ARP / Anarchy / Valair / Pusher / GDP

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #7 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
Nuff said.

Need some going down the country road if you get a chance

2017 6.7L Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab Granite Crystal Sport Appearance Group, 68RFE, rear air suspension
post #8 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Cummins Fan

subscribed

2018 Big Horn 6.7. CTD Auto
2005 CTD (traded)
1968 Roadrunner 383 4 spd.
post #9 of 690 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:15 PM

2012 3500 DRW/ Mini MAX on 2/Tow egr DPF gone, Stock
post #10 of 690 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins View Post
Need some going down the country road if you get a chance

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
post #11 of 690 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

So far so good. No bulb out messages at all today. No flickering either.

Hoping for the best

Spartacus likes this.

'17 6.7 tuned by CTT
post #12 of 690 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post

Is that high or low?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode