Poor Performance - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Poor Performance

Hi guys, new here.. Just bought a 2015 Ram 3500 Mega Cab, H.O. diesel, Aisen transmission, everything stock. The truck was ordered in Vancuver B.C., lived its whole life there until I purchased it. I brought it back to Pennsylvania.

I've been driving it and very dissapointed with the performance. This thing is an absolute dog. My comparison is my stock 2011 F-350 crew with the 6.7.

Everyone told me these Cummins were all that, but I'm not feeling it!

Any thoughts?

I was wondering could it be due to a west coast truck and emissions?

I'm not looking to build the truck, I just would want it to be like my Ford...

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Welcome to the forum.

If there are no codes and it’s all stock, it is what it is assuming no massive transmission slip, etc.

What exactly are you asking? You don’t want to do any modding (which I understand) but you want it to be different?

For what it’s worth no Cummins has never been a quick truck stock compared to the other major 2.

19 2500 Longhorn Mega 4x4

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

The Following User Says Thank You to dillonjm For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (09-29-2018)
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,550 Posts
Not going to happen. Stock for stock the Ford will always feel faster. Has to do with the V motor, trans, tuning, gearing, etc etc. Cummins gets such high praise do to reliability, ease to work on, towing performance, easier to build etc etc.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, ok..

A couple of scenarios.

1. My daughter was in the new dodge, i was in the ford, I was travelling 55 mph. She was following me on a 4 lane highway, decided pass me. Once she got beside me, I have it the gas stayed beside her for a little, then pinched it and pulled away, big time.... We stopped to eat a few miles down the road and said she was giving the dodge all it had, couldnt come close to keeping up with me.

2. With the dodge, I pulled my empty 3800# dump trailer from my shop to office. Going up a 1.5 mile hill which starts at a stop sign at the bottom the highest speed I could get was 53.

In the Ford I need to let off the gas @ 80+ with the same empty trailer.

3. In general, compared ro the Ford, this is very sluggish.. Just trying to understand why there is such a big difference.

As to modifying the truck, I really dont want to do that as ive heard the horror stories that can happen with some and the continued adjustments and fine tuning.

I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows, could the horsepower be choked due to the emissions and regs due to being a west coast truck? Could this be more of a performer if I took to the local dodge dealer, had rhe ecm flashed to Pennsylvania standards?
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh-g100 View Post
Hmm, ok..

A couple of scenarios.

1. My daughter was in the new dodge, i was in the ford, I was travelling 55 mph. She was following me on a 4 lane highway, decided pass me. Once she got beside me, I have it the gas stayed beside her for a little, then pinched it and pulled away, big time.... We stopped to eat a few miles down the road and said she was giving the dodge all it had, couldnt come close to keeping up with me.

2. With the dodge, I pulled my empty 3800# dump trailer from my shop to office. Going up a 1.5 mile hill which starts at a stop sign at the bottom the highest speed I could get was 53.

In the Ford I need to let off the gas @ 80+ with the same empty trailer.

3. In general, compared ro the Ford, this is very sluggish.. Just trying to understand why there is such a big difference.

As to modifying the truck, I really dont want to do that as ive heard the horror stories that can happen with some and the continued adjustments and fine tuning.

I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows, could the horsepower be choked due to the emissions and regs due to being a west coast truck? Could this be more of a performer if I took to the local dodge dealer, had rhe ecm flashed to Pennsylvania standards?
Iím pretty sure they havenít had a different emissions tune like you describe since the early 2000ís.

Itís possible something is wrong with the truck but also possible that there isnít.

Might be worth getting it looked at if you arenít familiar with them.

19 2500 Longhorn Mega 4x4

11 SRT8 Challenger M6 - Corsa; 295 Nittos

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I would try taking it to a good diesel troubleshooter (dyno would be great) & see what he can find.
After that, its a tune & regear.

2013 Tradesman 2500 CCLB SRW 4 X 4. Leveled, HIDs, Bilstein 5100's, 37/13.50/17's ProComp Extremes, steering stabilizer, DDM HIDs, a few other minor mods.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,622 Posts
Could be lots of things causing this performance deficit.

Ford's definitely accelerate faster, but your description of your RAM's performance does sound like it is off.

But, with no obvious issues showing like a CEL, we can't tell you much.

I can tell you that if you are flooring the throttle pedal on the RAM, that is not the fast way to go, about 3/4 throttle, max, is fastest.
14MCDually likes this.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...tml?highlight=

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 09-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:46 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,854 Times in 1,272 Posts
Sell the Ram and buy a ford. That’s the only thing that will make you happy.
Dogpatch likes this.

'14 6.7 S465
'17 6.7
'18 6.7 S472-5 Blade 2018 Build
The Following User Says Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (09-30-2018)
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Diesel Head

The ford will always be faster stock for stock. Sounds like your unhappy. I’d offload it asap

--2015 2500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, G56, Maximum Steel
- To Do List, 6" suspension,37" tires,4.56 Gears
--2006 2500 4x4 4 door long bed auto, 8" BDS, 37s
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick00less View Post
Sell the Ram and buy a ford. That’s the only thing that will make you happy.
This, sounds like you need a new truck to compare the lag that the new trucks have.
Im all stock and can turn the tires from a roll while towing my trailer.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Diesel Head

Did you not test drive it before buying?

No difference in west coast trucks from any others these days. The "west coast" has infected the rest of the country with it's rules. Also emissions clogged will not choke the engine HP. If it was it would be throwing codes.

The Ford will be quicker unloaded or under a light load due to the V8 but put some real weight behind it and I think you will see the cummins pull better.

The truck should be performing better then what you describe so I would either return it to the dealer or at least have someone look it over before you start throwing more money into deletes and creating more potential problems.

cjgoode likes this.

2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn Mega cab, 285/75-18 (35's) Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Fuel Hostage III 18x9 +18 BS Wheels. Bilstein 2.3″ Front Lift, 1" rear spacer.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help.

I'm not interested in unloading the truck, it had a 90k new car sticker. Has all of the options that I wanted in a truck. Bought it for the options and the pedestrian reputation....

I'm not a brand type of person, but more of a (what options can I get)

I aggressively did research for the perfect truck, found it, and flew across the country to get it.

I absolutely love the truck as I have been wanting one since 2012 when the ram boxes came out, air ride, etc.., just very dissapointed with the performance, not what I expected or even heard about.

One of my friends bought a stock 2010 ram mega cab, I drove it frequently, as stock it was a performer, (certainly more powerful than my truck) nows he's dumped 8-10k into it and its an insane hotrod, especially in level 5, (im not wanting that)

I did test drive this truck, but its hard to get a real take on the drivability of my ford vs ram.
I test drove in Seattle Washington (where I bought the truck), I live in PA. I dont think there was any way to duplicate the type of driving I normally do on our rural PA roads with hills, using trailers etc. when driving in a very saturated city environment.

I'll let you guys know what I can figure out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode