Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Dodge Ram XB LED Headlights!!!

85K views 473 replies 62 participants last post by  Ricky_Bobby 
#1 ·
Just released from The Retro Fit Source. They’re replicas(ish) of the 2019 and come as a complete kit with everything needed for a plug n play install.

Expensive but look nice!

Video

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn6R-IaglNy/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d...RS!&_rmId=BbxkYqMkQ5tJwZl7xQVbhx1gNJ789GH10lq

Also released are the new matching Dodge Ram XB LED Taillights

Not as expensive-definitely more affordable.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/09-18-dodge-ram-xb-led-tails.html

See less See more
#332 ·
Here is a pic of the fuse I pulled compared to the harness tap in, big difference and I called TRS and talked to them about it, and that I emailed them the same pic, so they are working on the problem and I should have a new harness soon, I really think that they based everything off the 2013 and newer models but either way they have been helpful and understand the problems that are popping up, my goal now is to adjust these things.

Attachments

#333 ·
Any of the projector guys that wouldn't mind parting with the extra "quad" harness, let me know.

Had one of my plugs not right, but if I can get ahold of one of the harness's, I'll put up just in case. Not worth warranty at this point.

Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#334 ·
Well here is some pics of the DRL's, running lights and with the headlights on, I had to get a fuse tap from AutoZone since I was getting the wrong fuse tap loop harness twice, I kept telling TRS that 11 and 12 RAMS had different fuse boxes from the 13+ RAMS, I had an issue with the drivers side running light going out so I used bulb grease on all the connections and I took her out on some bumpy roads and they still worked, so I did both side to be safe, other than that I will be watching to see what happens before I sell the factory projectors, if anything I will be on TRS with these headlights since I dropped $1100.00 on these.

Attachments

#335 ·
Looks like people are already throwing HID kits in the knock off headlights. So for $329 you can get a knock off set + another $50 for HID kit and you’ll get some excellent output.

Hell even the regular halogen bulbs that come standard have great output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#337 ·
From what I've read and seen they are a pretty good value. Output is good on both LED and Halogen. Made by Alpharex. There hasn't been really any issues with them and Customer service has been first class. When sending emails to them it has been a very quick response. They have two kinds of Lighting for the Ram Trucks.

#341 ·
Glad to see some nice looking alternatives! I got my OEM's mounted this weekend and I'm more than happy with the plug and play solution thanks to RetroShop's adapters (I modded a more OEM+ look on my truck anyway) - for now I'll run a 9005 kit in it and enable HID thanks to AlfaOBD - when I get the down time to send these back to Jeremy I'll get the Diode Dynamics switchbacks on the turn signals, an FXR/G5R projector swap, and the clear corners for the OEM housings.

But for now, huge difference just in looks compared to the cheap looking quads. Now the fogs stick out like a sore thumb, the XB fog housings are next.

#348 ·
Here’s the upper led boards that mount on top of the reflector with the chips shining through their own individual holes-

It’s tight inside the reflector, but you could probably mount a flat 12” amber strip inside of it, or swap out the chips on the board if you’re capable. Tying into the lower one would be easy, but if you go with a 12” strip, you’d have to grab the circuit BEFORE the existing driver inside the housing because it steps down the voltage to about 7.8v going to all the LED boards. I’m guessing there’s some sort of buck converter inside the driver.

#352 ·
Installed my XB’s last week. I love the way they look and function. The LED’s are awesome. I have the DRL’s and sequential turn signals.

Attachments

#358 ·
I like the idea of dual projectors, not sold on paying 1300 bucks for the LED ones though. Subbing for the updates on the knockoffs. Those seem like more my speed if they're working well for people.
Here they are installed-

These are the first version that came out I got for $330. Out of the box, they work just fine unless you have a 2015. That year truck will throw a turn signal out error with hyperflash on the EVIC, although all the turn signals will be working and flashing normally. It can be fixed with AlfaOBD or 6ohm 50w resistors. At the time, they were only compatible for quad headlight trucks, so I built some adapter harnesses for mine, then called Alpharex (the manufacturer) and talked about them offering adapters for those with projector headlight trucks. They sent me a pic of what they made, and by the time I noticed they forgot to add the dedicated DRL wire in the adapters, they already had batches made up, so I don’t know if they’ll get around to adding that. This would only affect those that want to enable the DRLs using AlfaOBD, otherwise, the included DRL fuse tap harness can be used.
I heavily modified mine because only the upper strip was used for DRLs, the turn signal wasn’t sequential, and the black bezels kind of clashed with my truck. I completely gutted them, ripped out the upper and lower LED boards and drivers, and replaced them with sequential switchback strips, and rewired everything to work how I wanted it. I painted the bezels max steel, and kept the shrouds chrome. The low beam projectors have a fixed cutoff shield, so they don’t drop when the high beams are switched on. I had some Morimoto d2s minis collecting dust, so I fabbed those in to fit for the low beam projectors. The cutoff lines and beam width/pattern are pretty much identical between the projectors that came with and the d2s minis, but I stuck with the d2s just because I had them, and I could have shields that dropped with the high beams. I’m using the innovited 35w H7 HID kit for the lows, and some off brand $29 Amazon H7 LEDs for the highs.
OF COURSE, after I did all this, they released a new G2 version for $455, that pretty much mimics everything I just did, and they also have smoked upper and lower LED strips. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-G2-H...rentrq:8ac0833016b0a86015e2d726ffbd29b0|iid:1

#354 ·
Forgot to mention that my replacement XBs showed up last week. Better late than never, I suppose.

These have supposedly been tested for correct function, but I can't see any evidence of that.

Reactions: Jimbo
#355 ·
Did you try putting on a white lab coat, a nice pipe, and a monocle and then take a look at the lights? You might not have noticing the testing they did because you weren't dressed appropriately to be examining their work.

#356 ·
No, I probably wasn't dressed correctly. Just in the normal jeans and T-shirt.

So far I only took one of them out of the packaging, which appeared to have been undisturbed since it was originally packaged.

Oh well, the majority of them surely work fine, but it would've been nice to have them verified (as promised) before tearing into the headlights once again.
At least now I know better than to fully install them, just plug them in and see if they respond to adjustments before going any farther.

#357 ·
I like the idea of dual projectors, not sold on paying 1300 bucks for the LED ones though. Subbing for the updates on the knockoffs. Those seem like more my speed if they're working well for people.

#363 ·
My Thunderstruck bumper has held up against multiple deer between 45-65 with 0 damage to the bumper or the truck. it has been well worth every penny, and has held up better then every other bumper i've had previously had. Generally most bumpers will end up with a slight tilt or dump, or deflection over 40 MPH with a good deer hit. Being that i've hit several over 60, with absolutely no damage, i know the next truck will also be getting a thunderstruck bumper. My only complaint is that the paint used on the bumper could've been thicker to hold up better in the long run. but the paint job was still better then the ranch hand bumpers i've gotten over the years, so there is that as well. That's my only critique on my bumper, beyond that it's been worth every single penny invested into it. I'm with you, spare the truck, spoil the bumper.

#364 ·
Loki, I had a really nice Aluminess bumper. Figured that if I had a decent bumper, the deer and elk wouldn't get in my way.
The theory worked, and I never hit anything.

But the mileage took a huge hit. I recreated what was missing of the stock bumper below the Aluminess, and that helped a lot.

#365 ·
Im really interested in this lights for my 2012 3500... is the performance really that much better than the stock halogens? Is it truly plug and play? What if i dont have DRL's im assuming if i wanted to wire them up to run DRL's id have to get creative? Lastly has anyone paired them with the fog lights they sell how good are those?

#366 ·
Almost anything is better than the stock headlights.
I think a posted a photo of the light output of mine earlier. They weren't aimed correctly, but definitely bright.

And, yes, disconnect the old lights, plug in the new ones, aim them and go.

#368 ·
You can plug the DRLs in according to the instructions, or over a separate switch.
I'm hooking mine up according to the instruction, but through a relay run by one of the auxiliary switches.
That's so I have DLRs when I want to, and only when I want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.