Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Diesel Fever

8K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  Ricky_Bobby 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I will be picking up a 2018 Ram 2500 later this month after many weeks of research. This forum has provided me with every bit of information needed to make my decision. I plan to do a moderate and clean build over the next couple of years, as this will be my daily driver to and from the office etc. Go ahead and laugh.... And to answer your question, NO I will not be regularly towing/hauling heavy loads. Proceed with laughter..... Anyway, I'm looking forward to bringing y'all along as I transform this truck into what I believe to be the best setup for day to day use, hunting and fishing. :beer:

#6 ·
Mine is a grocery getter, but a few gallons of water and a 40 pound bag of dog food and I need that cummins power. RAM 2500 is the smallest MEGACAB pickup available, and who would buy a 2500 gasser! Once we got int he megacab the 1500 was no longer an option. I rarely tow, but when I do it feels a million times safer then the full size SUV we got rid of, when in the mountains I love the exhaust brake. I save enough on fuel without towing to pay for the cumming upgrade in about 7 years and I did that math back when it was closer to $2, so it would be less time now. Besides I love driving a diesel. And if I get a camper in the future no worries. So like me get what makes you happy and be happy.

#7 ·
Welcome to the diesel world....depending on what you do to her; and of course how you drive will denote the MPG you get. I have ALWAYS received way better than the listed MPG's. my 2014 HEMI was always in the high 20's low 30's on the highway. My 2018 2500 Cummins that I bought in June 2018 started in the low 20's but has been consistently increasing as the engine and components settle in. Currently seeing 26 on the highway as I make weekly 600 mile round trips to SC.

#9 ·
2014 HEMI what? 2wd 1500, surely not a 2500 4x4. If I keep my 2500 cummins 4x4 megacab at 65 on cruise control 26MPG+ is easy, at 70 its around 24 MPG. Love this thing, if I got a full size SUV with this many options and big V8 power with 4x4 I would be in the teens at that same speeds.

#11 ·
Nice!!! Congratulations!!!

#12 ·
Dont feel bad, ive pulled a trailer two, maybe three times in owning 3 Cummins. I use mine for daily as well as the long trip from Colorado to Texas every month and hasn't let me down once! Enjoy the new truck!

Reactions: Wowegner
#19 ·
Finally put my Window Visors on. Real mods will be coming soon, unfortunately I have been swamped with work the past few months. I recently ordered an (EGR "upgrade" kit,,,, CCV "upgrade",,,, Throttle Valve "upgrade",,,, and a Flo Pro 5" TBE) The next couple items on my list are an (Ez-Lynk tuner and a new Exhaust Tip). No I am not "improving" my truck right away, but I would like to have the parts ahead of time in case of further regulation. Planning to improve at ~15K

More Future Mods:
1) Katzkin Leather
2) Window Tint (5% on the back, 20% on the front, 5% brow)
3) Carli Leveling Kit
4) Carli Track Bar
5) Carli Sway Bar
6) FOX Steering Stabilizer
7) Synergy Drag Link
8) Synergy Tie Rod
9) Synergy Steering Box Brace
10) Line-X Truck Bed and Tool Box
11) Change All Exterior Bulbs to LED (HeadLight Revolution)
12) Morimoto Fog Lights
13) 20" Black Oak LED Light Bar
14) BulletProof Hitch
15) 295/65/20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's

Attachments

#21 ·
Yeah, having a hard time believing those MPG figures stated. I get a solid 20 mpg, city/hwy with my 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins, but my wife gets around 16-17 mpg city/hwy with her 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn with 5.7 Hemi. Great truck, but can't match the Cummins!

By the way, congrats on the truck! I just bought my Ram 3500 dually two months ago. I baby it, daily driver. Do I need a dually...NO!!!! But I wanted it! Loving it!

#22 ·
Truck looks great! I'm also in the "I don't tow/haul" camp but I love every minute of driving my rig -

Looking forward to seeing how you like the Katzkin leather when you do it, I have the sport buckets (I think same seats as you, half vinyl and half cloth?) and have been impressed they don't hold dog hair (occasionally my little co-pilot is in the backseat on his dog hammock) and was the only thing I wanted that I missed out on when buying my truck (I wanted the Sport exterior more than I wanted to pay $3,000 more for a Laramie and have all the chrome)

I'm not deleting until my warranty is out, or my truck is paid off, whichever comes first - just going to retrofit Mopar projector headlights with proper xenons, and put in the Morimoto XB fogs, and I'm set for a while after I get my Lomax bed cover.

#23 ·
My warranty runs out in May, then fun begins! I just put in some CalTrend " I can't believe it is not leather" seat covers, worked out great. Excellent seat covers. My wife is going to let me do the delete. She loved my truck so much, I ended up buying her a Ram 2016 1500 Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi. Now she let's me do whatever mods I want!!!!! OH YEAH.

I plan on keep mine stock, other than delete, looking for long-term reliability and longevity!

Reactions: Wowegner
#25 ·
What's SMH stand for?
....Shopping Mall Hater? lol

I can't see being even the least bit contentious or put off by this. If for no other reason than think about the million folks that buy used trucks. Do I (them, whoever) want a 5 year old truck that has 100k on it and been beat like a rented mule, or would I rather have one that a guy drove as a daily driver, towed the boat to the lake, garaged, spent some $ on appearance, took care of and looks and runs like a new one save for the odometer and a few wear parts?

#27 ·
@Ricky_Bobby, Yes I have the half vinyl / half cloth seats. I look forward to the Katzkin for the same reasons (Have 2 big furry passengers that shed like a mofo)

As far as updates on my rig are concerned, I just ordered an EzLynk from CTT. Looks like the "improvements" will be happening closer to 15K miles as my short commutes between clients causes frequent re-gens.

#28 ·
Long time no see, guys! I've been busy with work as usual, but nonetheless the build continues. Finally getting into the good stuff..... Since the last time we spoke, I have had a NOX sensor replaced (emissions related), removed the vinyl between the windows, and had the Synergy Drag Link installed per the V06 recall. Regardless, this weekend will mark the true beginning of my build as I have decided to pull the trigger on "improving". With just a little over 10K on the odometer, I am already fed up with the gov. equipment and the lack of performance that comes with it. On Saturday, I will be installing my (Flo Pro 5" TBE, 6" Stainless Tip, Sinister EGR Upgrade, Sinister Throttle Valve Upgrade, S&B CCV Breather, and hooking up my EZ-LYNK). Needless to say, this is the most notable mod thus far and I couldn't be more amped. For anyone wondering, I will be running CTT** SOTF tunes with their TCM tuning 3.3V. My buddy and I installed this exact same setup on his 18' with phenomenal results, unfortunately that truck has since been totaled but his new one will be receiving the same treatment in a couple of weeks as well.

In the meantime, I would love to have some insight into y'alls experience with "improving" and long term reliability.

Note: I plan to keep her set on "Level 1" (30HP), as I have no desire to smoke the trans or build a race car. (There are better vehicles for that trust me). In addition, I would greatly appreciate it if we could refrain from discussion of any political opinions on such mods. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.