Banks power and Diff cover - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,369 Times in 797 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver CTD View Post
It's a differential, who gives a $hit, If the diff cover wasn't visible, this thread wouldn't exist. Got to love marketing.

I can think of 0 diff failures due to over heating of a properly setup rear end.

I've got 99 problems, but a diff ain't one.
Yep. Aside from doing something like jumping the truck under hard throttle, then landing back on a hard surface, differentials are almost indestructible.

GAmes in the 2nd gen section has 1,300,000+ miles on his truck. He replaced the first engine at around 800,000 miles, has been through 3 or 4 transmissions at least, and countless other things, but the one thing he's never touched is the rear diff.

Sliver CTD likes this.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold '92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,616 Times in 2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Yep. And the key words here are "better than everything else". Not holds more fluid, or has more cooling fins, or looks nicer.
When Gale puts out a product it works as well as practicable.
I grew up in the muscle car era. A time when people were eager to take a perfectly good car and turn it into something loud and uncomfortable and obnoxious to its surroundings. Something worthy of the cruise... Your options on products were somewhat available but also limited to what you were working on and what you were after, so heavily customizing was usually much a part of the process.

Banks was making himself back then too and doing some pretty cool things. Always in the magazines. But all these years later I now look at Banks as a business man. His company still builds wild examples of performance and puts them out there to keep the Banks name synonymous with performance...but seemingly stopped catering to the wildly hardcore crowd looking for insanity over practicality. Rather Banks looks to satisfy the majority of consumers who want marketable gains but more importantly practicality and bling. The people who prefer plug and play and preset packages so that there's no messing and guessing, just bolt on and go.

I'm not disrespecting Gail Banks and his company either but merely making the correlation that if I see someone's truck with all kinds of red products under the hood I already know what kinda power its putting to the ground simply based on the highly visible and heavily advertised goodies. (and usually the defining "Banks" sticker somewhere on the side) Some are decent, some are just there to look better than OEM.

But under the hood of a truck with strange and sometimes unrecognizable items assembled by the owner who chose their concoction based on what worked and what the combination achieved... Those are the trucks that you know are serious. Not always, but generally.

So that said..... Will Banks new differential covers be any better than whats out there? I'm not sure but likely not. I'm sure he'll be reaching for something a little different and a little more niche so that he lures in the consumers who believe Banks stuff is always proven. And thats OK too...
nick00less likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
nick00less (08-27-2018)
post #27 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
I grew up in the muscle car era. A time when people were eager to take a perfectly good car and turn it into something loud and uncomfortable and obnoxious to its surroundings.
That cracked me up, KATOOM. Just replace "muscle car" with "diesel pickup", and "perfectly good car" with "perfectly good pickup" and you just described what many Ram owners are doing.
KATOOM and Electrojake like this.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,317 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
@KATOOM well said
KATOOM likes this.

'18 6.7 S472-5 Blade 2018 Build
The Following User Says Thank You to nick00less For This Useful Post:
KATOOM (08-27-2018)
post #29 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:59 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1892 View Post
Agreed, I did mine for the ease of future maintenance and looks. If it lowers it a few degrees thatís a bonus if not Iím not worried. It also has extra magnet on the dipstick which certainly canít hurt. Mag-Hytec makes a very solid well made product.

Also, Gale Banks is a great product marketer. He probably has a new product coming out and this is part of the campaign. Get people talking and let it simmer a while then come out with a ďsolutionĒ. The solution will probably come out in video part 2. No other reason not to just give the result in the first video. Take like 30 mins to do the test.
Same cover on the rear of my '17. Banks may be a helluva guy, and I know he makes a helluva product, I mean, because all of his in-house tests prove it. LOL. Honestly, I don't see very many other vendors bashing their competition like Gayle Banks does. ;-)

'17 2500 SLT, 68rfe, MM3 +, 5" Flo Pro, AAM 4.44's, 6" on Toyo 37's & all the other typical goodies
post #30 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:15 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshog View Post
It is possible cooling the lubricant isn't the best idea given that lubricants are designed to lubricate at certain temperatures. Temperature is critical to the performance and life expectancy of lubricants, cooling can be as bad as overheating.
True, but I don't think ANY diff cover available will be able to cool too much.

2006 4x4 QCSB 2500 Laramie 5.9 Auto - Thuren equipped - Toyo R/T 37s
post #31 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
True, but I don't think ANY diff cover available will be able to cool too much.
True...I'm pretty sure we all can agree on that. Though the rear axle (both axles actually) on my '06 2500 with Mag-Hytec cover never saw any temps above 210 degrees no matter what I was doing. Had ISSPRO gauges on f axle, G56, TC and r axle. And I live in the desert southwest where temps can be 120+ and pull a trailer/tractor quite regularly. Just my personal experience FWIW. ;-)

'17 2500 SLT, 68rfe, MM3 +, 5" Flo Pro, AAM 4.44's, 6" on Toyo 37's & all the other typical goodies
post #32 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 PM
Diesel Head

No differential cover will cool the fluid too much and cause a lubrication issue... And in saying that, the only method of offsetting arctic temperatures is to run the appropriate viscosity lubricant for whatever those conditions may be. No one should be running 75-140 where it gets well below 0*.
jeepmanjr likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #33 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
No one should be running 75-140 where it gets well below 0*.
I do. But even if it's 20 below, the trip starts from within a heated garage.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #34 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Well, latest video is out...

https://youtu.be/0PMvVcsU3PE

I can't wait for some on here to tell me it is more fake data by Banks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 7500XL Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
post #35 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Diesel Head

Well I'll be the first to jump off the ledge...so pause with the pitch forks and torches and hear me out.

My opinion is, I am very disappointed in Gales "technical" assessments of aftermarket differential covers in his latest video. That being Mag Hytec since no others were even mentioned. Actually I thought his "testing" was incredibly incomplete as he threw out a lot of speculation and conjecture with no data to support any of it other than a see through view.

First off, Mag Hytec does NOT specify in their directions to overfill. The added capacity Gales referring to is because of the extra room the aftermarket covers can offer. So for him to throw MH under the bus I felt was bad ethics...

Also, maybe he forgot that in his last video with the plastic curved cover we got to see how the fluid moved about. And if you watch both videos back to back / side by side, you can see that the fluids in both covers do the EXACT same thing. It moves about the same, it aerates the same, and it sloshes about the same. Well actually I thought the MH cover didnt aerate as much as the curved cover.

The only real difference I noticed is the round cover didnt have any mood lighting. Not to mention that he started the MH cover test ideo with much slower speeds to show the sloshing, whereby he didnt do that in the curved cover video.

All that said, (and I dont mean to seem like I'm picking on Gale) the one thing he clearly didnt test, which is the main reason for adding an aftermarket diff cover (next to bling factor) is any reduction of fluid temperatures through capacity and dissipation. He also didnt bother to offer any testing on the resistance of fluid "work" which he claims is taking place by the fluid hitting any flat surfaces.

So...point being, I think Gale better step up the testing with some good solid results showing heat comparisons and fluid resistance comparisons. All of which cant be refuted in any way either, otherwise this is one big waste of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (10-04-2018)
post #36 of 278 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Well I'll be the first to jump off the ledge...so pause with the pitch forks and torches and hear me out.

My opinion is, I am very disappointed in Gales "technical" assessments of the aftermarket differential covers in his latest video. That being Mag Hytec since no others were even mentioned. Actually I thought "testing" was incredibly incomplete as he threw out a lot of speculation and conjecture with no data to support any of it.

First off, Mag Hytec does NOT specify in their direction to overfill. The added capacity Gales referring to is because of the extra room the aftermarket covers can offer. So for him to throw MH under the bus I felt was bad ethics...

Also, maybe he forgot that his last video with the plastic curved cover we got to see how the fluid moved about. And if you watch both videos back to back you can see that the fluids in both covers do the EXACT same thing. It moves about the same, it aerates the same, and it sloshes about the same. Well actually I thought the MH cover didnt aerate as much as the covered cover. The only real difference I noticed is the round cover didnt have any mood lighting. Not to mention that he started the MH cover video with slower speeds to show the sloshing, whereby he didnt do that in the curved cover video.

All that said, (and I dont mean to seem like I'm picking on Gale) the one thing he clearly didnt test, which is the main reason for adding an aftermarket diff cover (next to bling factor) is any reduction of fluid temperatures through capacity and dissipation. He also didnt bother to offer and testing on the resistance of fluid "work" he claims is taking place by fluid hitting flat surfaces.

So...point being, I think Gale better step up the testing with some good solid results showing heat comparisons and fluid resistance comparisons. All of which cant be refuted in any way either, otherwise this is one big waste of time.
You must not have watched video part 1&2 yet...this is video 2.2 or 2.3...don't remember what he said, data is coming in future video...no doubt he is playing this for all it is worth, but the data won't lie. I personally think the best cover is the AAM finned cover....shipped directly to my front door for less $100 with new reusable gasket and fasteners...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

'12 Lone Star 3500 4x4 (SRW), CCLB, 6.7L, 3.73LS, 68RFE, Airlift 7500XL Bags, Autometer Boost & EGT, Banks CAI (w/Outwears Pre-Filter), Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Door Vinyl Delete, DualLiner, Hellwig Sway Bar, HBS 2", Carli Control Arms, & 19.5 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode