Banks power and Diff cover - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Gale @ 8min 25 sec: "I'm gonna learn a lot, cause I don't know a lot about this"

Yeah right! He knows a lot more than he lets on. I like Gale Banks, he is real smart, but a bit of a smart aleck. He talked a good amount of smack on the monster ram video, but backed it all up with numbers.

homeguy likes this.

2012 3500, Dually, 4X4, G56, reg cab, Smarty, Severe duty fuel filter kit, Moog tie rod ends & torklift stabiloads, Ford/Dana 60 manual locking hubs, Dynatrac/EMF balljoints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud yapster View Post
I think the Mag-Hytec looks good also but the vented rear diff cover that cames with the Aisin option trucks also looks cool. I like the looks of my OEM vented cover. I'm more worried about the thin OEM front diff cover from a rock or something than anything else.
This is what I've had for years.

Carli's Differential Guard for 2014 and newer Ram 2500/3500 trucks

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #15 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1892 View Post
The solution will probably come out in video part 2. No other reason not to just give the result in the first video. Take like 30 mins to do the test.
Not sure how one would do even one test, let alone comparisons, in 30 minutes.

If Gale's using his standard grade on the freeway for the real world testing it takes about 15 minutes just to get to it. Then the ambient temperature must be about the same for all tests.

If on a dyno, it's not quite real world results as the air flow will be different. And even then there would have to be a cool-down period between tests.

Guess I should watch Part 1 before I babble any more about this, huh?

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Buyer of stuff..with OPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
Not sure how one would do even one test, let alone comparisons, in 30 minutes.

If Gale's using his standard grade on the freeway for the real world testing it takes about 15 minutes just to get to it. Then the ambient temperature must be about the same for all tests.

If on a dyno, it's not quite real world results as the air flow will be different. And even then there would have to be a cool-down period between tests.

Ding....ding...ding......we have a winner!! He is a smart cookie, knows his stuff. His "campus" is quite a thing to see....Back in the day, he would often give seminars at the truck get togethers the local dealers used to have, he is an impressive speaker, the talks were never boring........

Sam
hokie likes this.

2016 3500 Laramie SRW 4x4 CC LB ,Aisin,white w/brn-beige,B&W TOB/companion built 9/2015
Owned and gone, 1991 d250... 2001.5 2500qc...2014 3500 FCA buyback
Drivin' a Dodge Cummins since 1991.......
2008 Thor jazz 2870UK 5er....and 3 dogs.....
post #17 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,317 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
im curious as well to see what banks discovers. I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised.

'18 6.7 S472-5 Blade 2018 Build
post #18 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:

Yes you should!

He has it on a dyno with air flow to match freeway speeds. Even has a meter on the axle to measure air speed. He also has the rear end set up with fluid level meters and temperature gauges. It took a lot of work to set up everything in the video clip. The only thing left to do was take a run at it and measure temperature. Drain and swap to aftermarket cover and take another pass after itís cool. Which would not take long to do given the giant fan setup he has to generate wind speed.

As I said it took a lot of time to set all that up. Would only take another 30 mins on the dyno to do the actual test. Then do it again a few hours later at most for the aftermarket cover. With all the ďproductionĒ already done the only reason the tests arenít in the same video is for marketting purposes that I mentioned already.

2016 White Laramie Longhorn 2500 CCSB 4x4, Rear Air Suspension, 6.7, 4.30ís,
Full Carli 3" with King 2.5's, Torsion Sway Bar, Radius Arms, and Synergy Steering Brace. 37"x13.5"x18 Toyo R/T's on FUEL Anthracite Trophy's
post #19 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1892 View Post
Yes you should!

He has it on a dyno with air flow to match freeway speeds. Even has a meter on the axle to measure air speed. He also has the rear end set up with fluid level meters and temperature gauges. It took a lot of work to set up everything in the video clip. The only thing left to do was take a run at it and measure temperature. Drain and swap to aftermarket cover and take another pass after itís cool. Which would not take long to do given the giant fan setup he has to generate wind speed.

As I said it took a lot of time to set all that up. Would only take another 30 mins on the dyno to do the actual test. Then do it again a few hours later at most for the aftermarket cover. With all the ďproductionĒ already done the only reason the tests arenít in the same video is for marketting purposes that I mentioned already.
Should've known. Gale tends to be very analytical, so the most controllable test would be on a dyno.
I'll definitely check out the video, but now I'm really tempted to call and get the results before the official release. Which, if he tells me, I obviously couldn't share. So I'll just wait.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

post #20 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
It's a differential, who gives a $hit, If the diff cover wasn't visible, this thread wouldn't exist. Got to love marketing.

I can think of 0 diff failures due to over heating of a properly setup rear end.

I've got 99 problems, but a diff ain't one.
ATC, royta, nick00less and 1 others like this.

---The Dually--- 2018 3500 CCLB DRW Aisin 4.10 Rear Air MaxxTow Loaded Laramie Sport
---05' Sliver Bullet--- Build Thread -Carli/King Radius Arms MAX BILT Cross-Over Steering & Track Bar, Toyo 37's Method NVs
post #21 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver CTD View Post
I can think of 0 diff failures due to over heating of a properly setup rear end.
And therein lies the problem. We have AAM axles, not necessarily properly set up axles.
I couldn't care less what the covers look like, but if one can improve the odds of my AAM axles living a longer life, I'm all for it.

Then again, I'm one of those dummies who change the diff fluid at 500 to 1,500 miles, too.
007Poke likes this.

post #22 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Quote:
And therein lies the problem. We have AAM axles, not necessarily properly set up axles.
I couldn't care less what the covers look like, but if one can improve the odds of my AAM axles living a longer life, I'm all for it.

Then again, I'm one of those dummies who change the diff fluid at 500 to 1,500 miles, too.
Changed my diff oil less than 2,000 miles as well. Wanted to get the Royal Purple in there plus wanted the magnetic properties of the new set up.
lzhome and Jimmy N. like this.

2018 3500/Sport Package/Amp Research XL/Edge Performance/Stealth Performance/Bakflip/King 2.5 Resiís/Thuren Stage 1 Soft Valving/King Steering Stabilizer/Thuren 1/2 inch Leveling Soft Ride Front Springs/Thuren Track Bar/Rigid 30Ē DOT Approved Light Bar/MagTec Covers
post #23 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:38 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,616 Times in 2,109 Posts
Anyone who doesnt know by now that Banks is going to jump in the differential cover bandwagon doesnt understand how marketing rules the consumer world. Gale Banks would not bother making a video showing how he's "learning" about differential covers if he isnt planning on presenting his newly designed (and better than everything else out there) differential cover in part 2. It only makes sense...
homeguy likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
Electrojake (10-04-2018)
post #24 of 278 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Anyone who doesnt know by now that Banks is going to jump in the differential cover bandwagon doesnt understand how marketing rules the consumer world. Gale Banks would not bother making a video showing how he's "learning" about differential covers if he isnt planning on presenting his newly designed (and better than everything else out there) differential cover in part 2. It only makes sense...
Yep. And the key words here are "better than everything else". Not holds more fluid, or has more cooling fins, or looks nicer.
When Gale puts out a product it works as well as practicable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode