Fuel Mileage - Page 8 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #85 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
[quote=Jhenderson;28868221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb1 View Post
I didn;t read every post here, so sorry if this was covered at all

BUT what are you all loosing in MPG's when going from summer fuel to winter blend?

I am pretty honest about fuel use

I don't feel any need to claim more than I get

I average driving empty in summer time, at about 17 with a mix of a LOT of hills and hiways

towing what I have, never really over 8k and most times under about 4500 lbs I average about 13 towing, or less pending load where its going, more hilly places less, more level places I get the 13, but seldom ever past this.

BUT as soon as I start running winter grade fuel, I drop a good 2-3 Mpg's while running empty, and only about 1-2 when towing

seems odd to loose more empty

SO< what do you folks loose in different fuel mixes?

and I sure wish that I was paying what 97hb has been paying for fuel per gallon(under 3 buck average)

, fuel here has been up and over $3.5 the past 6+ months now here and over 3 bucks last 2 +yrs now[/QUOTE

My mileage is pretty much like yours right down to the winter fuel losses. The only difference is towing mileage. Mines all secondary roads (25-40 mph) pulling an 18,500lb gn dump up and down rolling terrain. I usually get 9 or so mpg under those circumstances. I imagine, much like you, I drive because Iíve got somewhere to go. I donít drive recklessly but I donít conserve fuel just to see how many mpg I can get.
To be honest, at fuel stations the mileage varies so much as compared to using the same tank of fuel from my bulk purchase, it's not worth even comparing to each other.

I have excellent baselines with my bulk fuel that only change mileage less than .5mpg between tanks. As soon as I use a fuel station it seems way off track and varied

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.4MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #86 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Any chance to get a summary table of the reported MPG by model and srw/drw split?
The Following User Says Thank You to nemloc For This Useful Post:
Jhenderson (01-21-2019)
post #87 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM
Diesel Head

[quote=cpitock;28868261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenderson View Post
To be honest, at fuel stations the mileage varies so much as compared to using the same tank of fuel from my bulk purchase, it's not worth even comparing to each other.

I have excellent baselines with my bulk fuel that only change mileage less than .5mpg between tanks. As soon as I use a fuel station it seems way off track and varied

Who said I was using multiple stations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #88 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
[quote=Jhenderson;28868495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitock View Post

Who said I was using multiple stations?
Even using the same station it varies way more than using bulk. It wasn't pointed at any one in particular.

Just my observations, I use bulk because it's cheaper and gets 3+ mpg better overall in the data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #89 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Diesel Head

Same Shell station and company delivery from the only tank farm in the state. I know quality can vary by each delivery but so can yours. The difference is I canít get stuck with 1000 gals of lower performing fuel.
On a side note, I fuel my off road equipment from a transfer tank in my pickup. I fill it at the same station when I fill my truck. Iíve never had fuel trouble in my equipment. Non of the other loggers in my vicinity can say that but they all like the convenience of a bulk tank at home.
post #90 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenderson View Post
Same Shell station and company delivery from the only tank farm in the state. I know quality can vary by each delivery but so can yours. The difference is I canít get stuck with 1000 gals of lower performing fuel.

On a side note, I fuel my off road equipment from a transfer tank in my pickup. I fill it at the same station when I fill my truck. Iíve never had fuel trouble in my equipment. Non of the other loggers in my vicinity can say that but they all like the convenience of a bulk tank at home.
I have noticed variances, usually within .3 mpg between bulk tanks. We have two service providers, the one has pretty bad fuel consistently, but usually at a 5 cent discount, the other has the best fuel I have found in a 600 mile radius of the stations I have used. It is a dramatic difference, almost unbelievably. He says it is just straight #2 with a lubricity additive, swears there is nothing else. In the winter, I treat with howes diesel treat and he sends the same fuel, no winter additive.

This is data from 140k miles with same pickup and driver. Very little done to pickup outside of delete. Larger rims and tires.

post #91 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
Just finished a trip to Gig Harbor, Washington from central British Columbia (400 miles each way) Truck ran great, fuel mileage on the way there pulling 3500 lb. boat and trailer was 18 mpg (Canadian gallon) and 21.6 on the return empty.

2018 Ram crew cab, long box, dually, 6.7, 4.10 rear axle, speed 55-60 mph

Jedi
post #92 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Duplicate of another post

2018 3500 Laramie CCLB DRW 4x4 6.7CTD/Aisin w/4.10 Delmonico Red Pearlcoat
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody M6, Octane Red 1-of-1 Globally
2016 2500 CC/SB 4X4 6.7/68RFE, White [TRADED]
2005 3500 Laramie CCLB DRW 4X4 5.9CTD [SOLD]

Last edited by Zaicran; 04-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #93 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:07 PM

Good discussion here, but no one has yet talked about why the designers of the displayed MPG system couldn't use one of the simplest formulas out there to give us the accurate number, whatever it might be. Miles traveled divided by fuel (in gallons) used is a pretty easy one to calculate. A decent engineer could probably figure out how to bias future readings with driver input of actual gallons used on a following fill up.

Regardless of set up, driving habits etc, there's really no excuse RAM couldn't make the on-board calculator more accurate for everyone.
sdowney717 likes this.
post #94 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Good discussion here, but no one has yet talked about why the designers of the displayed MPG system couldn't use one of the simplest formulas out there to give us the accurate number, whatever it might be. Miles traveled divided by fuel (in gallons) used is a pretty easy one to calculate. A decent engineer could probably figure out how to bias future readings with driver input of actual gallons used on a following fill up.

Regardless of set up, driving habits etc, there's really no excuse RAM couldn't make the on-board calculator more accurate for everyone.
They try to, the way it is implemented is the problem. All we need is a correction system like the Fords. Driver can adjust the correction factor in percentage like a scan gauge. Ram just hasn't went that route. It can be corrected, but requires self tuning the duration table. I made a post explaining how to do it a while back.

post #95 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:10 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I have no issue with the fuel economy on my truck. Iím running Toyo RT tires in stock size with a BackRack and large Weathergaurd toolbox and getting between 17.6-21 mpg hand calculated. What bugs me is the fuel tank size is too small. Whatís everybody doing about auxiliary tanks?

2018 2500 Laramie CTD CCSB 4X4
18x9 +18 Method NV W/ Toyo RT
Edge CTS 2
post #96 of 115 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Every time I have filled up after running empty my dash has displayed the accurate mileage within 0.1MPG. I hand calculated each time. Last fill up it showed 19.6MPG and I was hand calculated at 19.53xxxxMPG.
After towing it was off by about 2.5 MPG but I was going through the mountains of Southern Oregon so that's expected. I just drove the same route I did loaded empty and my gauge is showing 20.5 and I'm inclined to believe it. My trip was about 170 miles and I cruised around 68MPH most the time and I used 1/8th of a tank. I am also all stock with the highway tires and a G56 so that could be helping a bit. My 2012 that was deleted with 35's and an auto only once got 20MPG. So I'm pretty stoked that at 5800 miles my 2018 is getting such good mileage and even loaded still pulls really well stock.

2018 Big Horn CCLB G56 4x4 Silver bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode