Transporting RV's for a living, Anyone?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

12Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transporting RV's for a living, Anyone??

The sale of my business will be final in a few months. Possibly looking to deliver RV's as a part time job... Not ready to retire.
If I go this route, I will lease on to a company as opposed to using my own Operating Authority. I have done Hot Shot work in the past and have MC/DOT #'s.
Insurance is just too high to make it worth it unless you haul allot. Yes, I do have a Class A CDL.

That's the situation, now who is or has done this and can you make decent money at it? Anything I should look out for?

2016 3500, 2014 3500
Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor, NRA Instructor & Chief Range Safety Officer. NAVY Vet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Cummins Nut

I have never done it but here in FL there is plenty of opportunity. Tons and tons of rvs and snowbirds.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I think your going to have a hard time leasing on with a company using their insurance and everything just to haul "when you want to".Most lease companies lease to people that are willing to work and work hard make them money as they have contracts to fill.

'16 Laramie Longhorn 3500 DRW/CC/LB/3:73/Aisin/11.8 Rearend
Auxiliary switches-I/P Mounted/5th Wheel Towing Prep
60 gal. Aux tank w/toolbox [email protected] RVK3600 5th wheel hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 PM
White Lightning

Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,205 Posts
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
The sale of my business will be final in a few months. Possibly looking to deliver RV's as a part time job... Not ready to retire.
If I go this route, I will lease on to a company as opposed to using my own Operating Authority. I have done Hot Shot work in the past and have MC/DOT #'s.
Insurance is just too high to make it worth it unless you haul allot. Yes, I do have a Class A CDL.

That's the situation, now who is or has done this and can you make decent money at it? Anything I should look out for?
@Ltngdrvr will chime in soon I'm sure.....
CTD&TDI, komatsu3816 and daMonk like this.

2018 RAM 4500 Chassis Tradesman Crew Cab 60 C/A 4WD, 6.7L Cummins, AISIN AS69RC Transmission, 4.10 Axle Ratio, Chrome Appearance Group, Keyless Entry, Fog Lamps, Chrome Tubular Steps, 52+22 gallon fuel tanks, 5.0 Radio, Single Disc CD Player, 225/70R19.5 Continental HDRs, Aluminum Wheels, Parkview Backup Camera, Trailer Brake Controller. Equipped with a CM SK Series flatbed w/B&W Turnover Ball. Purchased new April 23, 2018. Currently : 150,076 miles and 2,654 hours as of July 12, 2019 (Average Miles Per Hour = 56.5)
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Renaissance Redneck BCVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbrockman View Post
@Ltngdrvr will chime in soon I'm sure.....
I was just going to say that. He's the resident expert on RV hauling!

2014 3500 SXT 4x4 68RFE, Thurens, 5100s, 305/70-18 Cooper ST Maxxxxxs, Wet Okoles, Dog hair mod.
Quote:BobSagetIsGod?
The only way I'd do a 26x16 is with a 12 inch wide tire and a Carolina squat. I'd be swimming in kitty.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I'd be interested in this as well not full time but part time when work is a little slow at times..

2016 mega cab 6.7 cummins. 4X4. delmonico red pearl coat. SLT with some of the goodies... 8.4 NAV. 7in EVIC. tow mirrors.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post

Well, you put the qualifier on it as "decent money", for part timers, the answer would be no, depending on what you consider "decent".

Of course, I don't know what you may consider "part time" either.

I work part time, sort of, for my full time job. For most of my pulls, I work a total of three days, one days very hard run bobtail from Texas to Indiana to get the trailer, and two solid days back to Texas to make delivery. Then I take a few days off, or more this time of year, depending on the weather.

But, I have been very selective in my operation so that I can do it that way. The company I'm leased to has a few Texas dealers they contract with and I live right along the route I have to take to deliver the trailers to the dealers, so I can go home each trip. It lets me be semi-lazy, not having to run for a week or more at a time without going home.

I also use a 3/4 ton truck, this gets me out of having to log my bobtail miles since I'm under 10,001 pounds GVWR when I don't have a trailer on.

I also don't have a CDL, so I can't legally tow more than a 16K GVWR trailer, so I can stay under the CDL requirement of 26,001 pounds.

Now, we have a few guys who farm, and haul trailers whenever they aren't tied up with farm duties, I guess they are part timers, but usually their farming activities are more of what I would consider part time. They haul trailers more than they do farm work. So, they probably are doing okay with the trailers, but they also live not too far off of the routes for delivering the trailers.

So, my advice is to see if there is a company you can lease on with that has trailer deliveries close to where you live, or that you live along or close to the routes you would take to make most of the deliveries.

And, most of the companies have guys that consider themselves as part timers, but they usually don't last long before they go find something else to do. It's a high turnover for drivers in this business.

2015 RAM 2500 LoneStar Mega Cab CTD 2WD Air Ride PRAIRIE PEARLCOAT 02/09/2015
CCV reset/seatbelt chime disable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 12-10-2016 at 02:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ltngdrvr For This Useful Post:
98whitelightnin (12-10-2016), gatorguy (12-12-2016)
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Well, you put the qualifier on it as "decent money", for part timers, the answer would be no, depending on what you consider "decent".

Of course, I don't know what you may consider "part time" either.

I work part time, sort of, for my full time job. For most of my pulls, I work a total of three days, one days very hard run bobtail from Texas to Indiana to get the trailer, and two solid days back to Texas to make delivery. Then I take a few days off, or more this time of year, depending on the weather.

But, I have been very selective in my operation so that I can do it that way. The company I'm leased to has a few Texas dealers they contract with and I live right along the route I have to take to deliver the trailers to the dealers, so I can go home each trip. It lets me be semi-lazy, not having to run for a week or more at a time without going home.

I also use a 3/4 ton truck, this gets me out of having to log my bobtail miles since I'm under 10,001 pounds GVWR when I don't have a trailer on.

I also don't have a CDL, so I can't legally tow more than a 16K GVWR trailer, so I can stay under the CDL requirement of 26,001 pounds.

Now, we have a few guys who farm, and haul trailers whenever they aren't tied up with farm duties, I guess they are part timers, but usually their farming activities are more of what I would consider part time. They haul trailers more than they do farm work. So, they probably are doing okay with the trailers, but they also live not too far off of the routes for delivering the trailers.

So, my advice is to see if there is a company you can lease on with that has trailer deliveries close to where you live, or that you live along or close to the routes you would take to make most of the deliveries.

And, most of the companies have guys that consider themselves as part timers, but they usually don't last long before they go find something else to do. It's a high turnover for drivers in this business.

Do you have to have your own insurance if you lease on with a company and are under 26k? Does anyone get a load going both ways or is it usually just one way..?

2016 mega cab 6.7 cummins. 4X4. delmonico red pearl coat. SLT with some of the goodies... 8.4 NAV. 7in EVIC. tow mirrors.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Diesel Head

Yes, you have to have insurance on your truck, same as anyone, company insures the trailer while it is being moved.

And, I rarely get a backhaul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr View Post
Yes, you have to have insurance on your truck, same as anyone, company insures the trailer while it is being moved.

And, I rarely get a backhaul.
Sorry, should have been more specific... I meant do you need commercial insurance or just your standard insurance for the truck.

Thanks for the info 😃

post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:57 PM
Cummins Nut

Last I looked into it $1.35 per mile was the max you could expect. Divide that by 2 since you won't get many back hauls if any at all. If you think .67 cents a mile is good go for it, your truck will cost almost .30 cents a mile for fuel when pulling a trailer, and you will need oil changes often.

I got a kaufman wedge and haul cars instead. I make more per mile and I have a load both ways. I do have a cdl, commercial insurance, and my own authority though and you are correct it is expensive. I also have a woodhouse sleeper in my crew cab so I don't have to get motels or sleep uncomfortably in the seat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
GL10DR likes this.
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:16 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc23123 View Post
Sorry, should have been more specific... I meant do you need commercial insurance or just your standard insurance for the truck.

Thanks for the info 😃
You need insurance that protects you when using your truck for work, don't know about commercial insurance, mine isn't set up that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode