towing right away? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
towing right away?

I'll probably be ordering from a dealer that is 350 miles from home. I'm thinking about driving my Accord up there, picking up a U-Haul car trailer, and towing the Accord home. The accord is 3,120 pounds, so I'm guessing gross trailer weight would be 4,500 pounds at the most. I'm not sure if the trailer is equipped with hydraulic brakes with the master cylinder built into the trailer tongue.

These trucks are meant to be worked. Is the waiting period really necessary?

'15 2500 Laramie, MC, 4WD, 68RFE, Granite Crystal - purchased 5/15
'02 2500 Laramie SLT, QC, LB, 4WD, NV5600, Black/Silver - sold
'97 2500 Laramie SLT, CC, 4WD, Goerend Bros 47RE, CPL2174, White - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Cummins Nut

I have a truck on order, so I do not have the Ram CTD manual, but I know on my last F350 Powerstroke, they said to wait AT LEAST 500 miles before towing...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Diesel Head

I don't have any scientific data but I'm guessing it's really not necessary to wait 500 miles. Is there something that magically happens between mile 499 and 501?

There's a truck outfitter that I go by frequently and they have rows of new C&C trucks ready to get fitted with bodies, cherry pickers, etc. Those trucks are put to work right away without someone hopping in them and putting 500 miles on them before adding any weight to the truck.

The only personal story I have relating to it comes from my uncle. He is a fulltime RV'er and tows a big fifth wheel. Every couple of years, he pulls into the dealership, picks out a new truck, hooks it to the trailer and takes off. He's been doing that for years and I have never heard of any problems from not putting 500 miles on the truck before towing.

2016 3500 Big Horn, CCLB, DRW, 4x4, Aisin, 4.10's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Random2k; 03-19-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Cummins Fanatic

According to the RAM Manual for the 6.7L diesel, no break-in period is required.
----------------
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
The Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed:
• Warm up the engine before placing it under load.
• Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods.
• Use the appropriate transmission gear to preventengine lugging.
• Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indicators.
• Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
• Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.

NOTE: Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.For additional vehicle break-in requirements, refer to“Trailer Towing” in “Starting And Operating” of the Owners Manual.Because of the construction of the Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10 000 km).

--------------------------------

Expat93 (Kevin)
2015 RAM 2500 HD CTD w/Air Suspension * Retrax Pro Mx * Amp Powersteps * Shifter Relocation * Customtronix Silver + * HPP EFI Live * Deleted * 4" FloPro * Rigid Fog & Off Road Lights * Thuren Suspension * Fox Shocks * AEV Bumper * 35" Ridge Grapplers * Thuren King Stabilizer * Banks Intake & Grid Delete Plate * Fleece 2nd Gen S463 Swap * ARP 425 Head Studs * 4:10 AAM Gears *RevMax 700 * Fleece Fuel Pump...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:24 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Full online version here.

2017 RAM 2500 HD Laramie 6.7 CTD & 68RFE / AMP Steps, 20x9 WORX Beast II, 285/65R20 Grappler G2, Thuren/FOX Level Kit, TonnoPro LoRoll, BOSS/AirLift Bags & Wireless Compressor and Debadged.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat93 View Post
According to the RAM Manual for the 6.7L diesel, no break-in period is required.
----------------
The Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed:
• Vary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.

NOTE: Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.For additional vehicle break-in requirements, refer to“Trailer Towing” in “Starting And Operating” of the Owners Manual.Because of the construction of the Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10 000 km).

Good $h!t. Thanks for posting this up!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,362 Times in 791 Posts
The 500 miles thing is for the rear differential. When I purchased my 2012 new, I drove my car to the dealership some 800 miles away, and towed it back as well. I bought my truck, drove it around for a day or so, putting close to 200 miles on it, then called that good and hooked up the tow dolly.

'97 3500 4x4 CC DRW, 4.10, Banks PP, BD tc, vb, eb, 60# springs, Torqloc, gauges, Weatherguard, B&W...
'92 CC W350 DRW sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'92 CC D350 DRW sold '12 Laramie CC 3500 4x4 SRW sold
The Following User Says Thank You to brownbear For This Useful Post:
smokin1cat (03-19-2015)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbear View Post
The 500 miles thing is for the rear differential...
Correct...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by royta View Post
I'll probably be ordering from a dealer that is 350 miles from home. I'm thinking about driving my Accord up there, picking up a U-Haul car trailer, and towing the Accord home. The accord is 3,120 pounds, so I'm guessing gross trailer weight would be 4,500 pounds at the most. I'm not sure if the trailer is equipped with hydraulic brakes with the master cylinder built into the trailer tongue.

These trucks are meant to be worked. Is the waiting period really necessary?
As an earlier post stated, the 500 miles is for differential break in. I was thinking about doing the same thing as what you're thinking of when I bought my truck. Mine was ~900 miles back home. I ended up taking a one way flight out to the dealership. They picked me up at the airport. The risk with my approach was the willingness to have to buy a ticket back home if the inspection and close out didn't go good at the dealership. Fortunately all went great.

2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn w/Ram Boxes, Mopar splash guards, stock.
2006 29' Sunnybrook Travel Trailer.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Differential? I wonder what dedicated tow vehicles do? I can't imagine a big truck driving empty before it hitches up to a trailer. They've got even bigger diffs with bigger R&P's and bearings which means more surface irregularities to smooth out.

'15 2500 Laramie, MC, 4WD, 68RFE, Granite Crystal - purchased 5/15
'02 2500 Laramie SLT, QC, LB, 4WD, NV5600, Black/Silver - sold
'97 2500 Laramie SLT, CC, 4WD, Goerend Bros 47RE, CPL2174, White - sold
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,563 Times in 2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat93 View Post
----------------

You forgot to follow through with the "refer to Trailer Towing" part of your quote. When you go there it say no towing for 500 miles. Then the next 500 with towing don't stay at a steady speed and don't tow over 50 MPH. Better go look that up

Quote:
• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles
(805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle
or other parts could be damaged.
• Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a
trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h)
and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps
the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at
the heavier loads

2013 Ram 3500 Dually CTD 6.7/Aisin/4:10 LSD
Previous Rams:
90 CC Dually, 94 RC LB, 95 CC SB, 98 QC Dually, 00 QC Dually, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually, 05 QC Dually, 08 QC Dually, 10 CC Dually

Last edited by Ram3500Dually; 03-19-2015 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ram3500Dually For This Useful Post:
copper2013 (03-20-2015), Expat93 (03-19-2015), TheOx (03-19-2015)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Cummins Fanatic

You're correct. I didn't read further. I think that it sucks though. An old engine builder who fixed me up many years ago told me to come see him after I had lightly driven the truck for 750 miles. It was damn tough for a 17 year old, but I did as he said. When I did finish and go back to visit him he told me that he had either built the engine properly or not and that my driving wasn't going to make the difference. He used dragsters as an example where they build in the day and race that night. I understand the seating of the bearings and seals and I'm not arguing the manual, I just think it stinks.

Expat93 (Kevin)
2015 RAM 2500 HD CTD w/Air Suspension * Retrax Pro Mx * Amp Powersteps * Shifter Relocation * Customtronix Silver + * HPP EFI Live * Deleted * 4" FloPro * Rigid Fog & Off Road Lights * Thuren Suspension * Fox Shocks * AEV Bumper * 35" Ridge Grapplers * Thuren King Stabilizer * Banks Intake & Grid Delete Plate * Fleece 2nd Gen S463 Swap * ARP 425 Head Studs * 4:10 AAM Gears *RevMax 700 * Fleece Fuel Pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode