Which darn Ram to get 1500 or 2500 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2013-2018 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 2013 model year differences 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING - Sponsored by: StarLite Diesel

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Which darn Ram to get 1500 or 2500

Decisions, Decisions.

I wanted an Ecodiesel from the minute I heard they were close to coming out. I wanted to run my Avalanche to 200k first, which I now have. The timing was perfect as I also wanted to let them get the first model year out of the way.

So I test drove an ED and I was impressed with the ride and how quiet it was. Then I saw on the forums that there are still all sorts of issues (oil in coolant, non starting, cold weather cylinder lock, etc, CELs, DEF injection problems) - and I was a little nervous. After looking back and forth, I decided that I was still prepared to move forward.

Then.....I noticed the payload. I was looking at a Limited and even though the payload is listed in the Ram catalog as 1240 lbs - the truck is just at 1000 lbs.

I dont think thats enough.

My use:

I will do about 25k per year of work travel (highway miles, with SOME city miles but not much).
About 26 times per year, I will have between 1k and 2k in the bed. A few times per year I will tow a trailer. These 26 times a year - I am driving 125 miles round trip to the shore with a truck full of Scuba and fishing gear.

So - I started to realize that the increased weight of the ED kills the payload and I test drove a hemi. The Hemi was a monster and I could not believe how fast it is. A little louder than the ED, but still quiet enough in the cabin.

I check the payload and its about 1250 lbs. Better, but still not as much as the 1350 on my avalanche. Ive pushed the avalanche to 1700 lbs probably 100 times without an issue but I dont know about the Ram.

Next step - I looked at all the other trucks. Quickly decided that I like the LOOKS and the RIDE of the Ram much better then anything else so I ended up back at Ram.

THEN....one of my friends says - "your a diesel guy....if your looking at a Ram, why not buy the cummins"

So I drove a 2500 with the Cummins in the Limited edition.

Now for my questions. Seemed like a nice ride - but clearly not as smooth as a 1500. Would I want to kill myself after a few years of 25k per year on the highway with a 2500? Would anyone else buy a 2500 knowing that most of the time you are driving around with an empty bed - then 25 weekends loading the bed up with a lot of weight?

I really like the cool factor of the Cummins. I know that sounds stupid - but its true.

What is the fuel mileage of the Cummins on the highway? (not really a factor, but Im just wondering)?

What is the height of the top of the cab on the Cummins?

Cabin actually seemed quiet enough to hold a cell phone call without anyone realizing that you are in a truck.....or was I imagining in. I have 2 friends (that drive the same situation I am in) with 3/4 ton trucks from Gm and Ford and their trucks are older and obnoxiously loud. I hate being in them but they have theirs worked and oud on purpose. The Ram seems more refined.

Lastly - Im not interested in the Hemi in the 2500. If I go Hemi I will go 1500. If I go 2500, its a chance to grab the cummins.

Am I stupid for even considering the 2500 Cummins for my use?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jdragon For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (02-24-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdragon View Post

Now for my questions. Seemed like a nice ride - but clearly not as smooth as a 1500. Would I want to kill myself after a few years of 25k per year on the highway with a 2500? Would anyone else buy a 2500 knowing that most of the time you are driving around with an empty bed - then 25 weekends loading the bed up with a lot of weight?

What is the fuel mileage of the Cummins on the highway? (not really a factor, but Im just wondering)?

Stupid? Not at all..... while mine's not quite a grocery getter, it's not been towing heavy.... yet.

I plan to keep my truck at least 5 years. Next year we are planning on getting a toy hauler, so I bought the Cummins with that in mind, over a year ago..

So far, except for some construction debris dump runs, a couple loads of gravel (at or slightly above my payload limit) and several lumber runs.... I've been running unloaded...

This includes a 110 mi round trip to the beach a couple times a month on SoCal freeways....

I love this truck..! I only have the tradesman, but find it quite comfortable. It's not a luxury car, but certainly not uncomfortable. I think I've been on two small, bumpy stretches of road where I realized I was in a 3/4 ton truck....

We took an 1100 mile road trip and opted for the truck over my wife's car...

My Fuelie sig shows I'm at 17mpg average for my use... not bad for a big truck.

You could probably get by with the eco diesel, but the only advantage would be MPG... if that's not a priority, get the cummins..

Just my $0.02.....

Good luck!

2014 2500 Tradesman CC, LB, 6.7, 68RFE, 3:42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,717 Times in 913 Posts
I think my truck rides great. No complaints. As far as mileage, realistically you should be able to pull 18-19 empty on the HW. Some claim to get better, some worse. It all depends on terrain and MPH.

As far as payload, will 2k pounds in the back of a 1500 kill it, probably not. Could it prematurely wear things out? Absolutely. Will 2k pounds in the back of a 2500 kill it? Nope. Will it prematurely wear things out? I say no. And it will ride like a Cadillac when it is loaded.

Do you need a 2500? To me, it's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Just my 2 cents.

2013-2500 Laramie 4x4-CC-Long Box-Auto-3:42
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trowel2013 For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (02-24-2015), Radride (02-24-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Cummins Fan

How strictly do people actually take the payload on the 1500 tho? i've never considered payload in any of my vehicles until i started on the 1500 vs 2500 debate myself. But it just doesn't make sense, according the the published numbers, a Honda accord can carry more then a loaded 1500. I just find it hard to believe its not more capable. I know over loading a vehicle is at your own risk, but is it really going to cause that much wear/damage?

fwiw, i haven't purchased yet, but i have settled on a 2500... but threads like this get me thinking again
The Following User Says Thank You to SGMongoose For This Useful Post:
Jdragon (02-24-2015)
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Decisions, Decisions.

I wanted an Ecodiesel from the minute I heard they were close to coming out. I wanted to run my Avalanche to 200k first, which I now have. The timing was perfect as I also wanted to let them get the first model year out of the way.

So I test drove an ED and I was impressed with the ride and how quiet it was. Then I saw on the forums that there are still all sorts of issues (oil in coolant, non starting, cold weather cylinder lock, etc, CELs, DEF injection problems) - and I was a little nervous. After looking back and forth, I decided that I was still prepared to move forward.

Then.....I noticed the payload. I was looking at a Limited and even though the payload is listed in the Ram catalog as 1240 lbs - the truck is just at 1000 lbs.

I dont think thats enough.

My use:

I will do about 25k per year of work travel (highway miles, with SOME city miles but not much).
About 26 times per year, I will have between 1k and 2k in the bed. A few times per year I will tow a trailer. These 26 times a year - I am driving 125 miles round trip to the shore with a truck full of Scuba and fishing gear.

So - I started to realize that the increased weight of the ED kills the payload and I test drove a hemi. The Hemi was a monster and I could not believe how fast it is. A little louder than the ED, but still quiet enough in the cabin.

I check the payload and its about 1250 lbs. Better, but still not as much as the 1350 on my avalanche. Ive pushed the avalanche to 1700 lbs probably 100 times without an issue but I dont know about the Ram.

Next step - I looked at all the other trucks. Quickly decided that I like the LOOKS and the RIDE of the Ram much better then anything else so I ended up back at Ram.

THEN....one of my friends says - "your a diesel guy....if your looking at a Ram, why not buy the cummins"

So I drove a 2500 with the Cummins in the Limited edition.

I really like the cool factor of the Cummins. I know that sounds stupid - but its true.

What is the height of the top of the cab on the Cummins?

Cabin actually seemed quiet enough to hold a cell phone call without anyone realizing that you are in a truck.....or was I imagining in. I have 2 friends (that drive the same situation I am in) with 3/4 ton trucks from Gm and Ford and their trucks are older and obnoxiously loud. I hate being in them but they have theirs worked and oud on purpose. The Ram seems more refined.

Lastly - Im not interested in the Hemi in the 2500. If I go Hemi I will go 1500. If I go 2500, its a chance to grab the cummins.

2015 nissan titan cummins 5.0 v8 is the next step from a 2500, if you really want a cummins options.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john dear View Post
2015 nissan titan cummins 5.0 v8 is the next step from a 2500, if you really want a cummins options.

I know. But they are ugly as crap. The trade on my Avalanche at a locak dealer is to good to ber true and if I put another 15k on this thing, Im at the point where the value will plummet.

I own it and it actually still has some value as it approaches 200k. I know Im about to throw some money at it for my May inspection and I dont want to put a dime into it.

The timing on the Nissan is a little late.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

I have 11k miles on my 1500 eco diesel right now, ZERO complaints /issues. Haven't really hauled much with it yet, but mine does have the air ride suspension, and rides smooth as glass. I've averaged 24-25 mpg with about a 70/30% mix of highway/town driving. Looking at the rating, I don't think being over by 400-500lbs. is going to hurt anything. I absolutely love the truck, all the comfort / conveniences of a Chyrsler 300, with the versatility of a pick-up

2015 2500 CCSB Ram Box G56 4x4 Mineral Gray SLT/Big Horn
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATELINE View Post
I have 11k miles on my 1500 eco diesel right now, ZERO complaints /issues. Haven't really hauled much with it yet, but mine does have the air ride suspension, and rides smooth as glass. I've averaged 24-25 mpg with about a 70/30% mix of highway/town driving. Looking at the rating, I don't think being over by 400-500lbs. is going to hurt anything. I absolutely love the truck, all the comfort / conveniences of a Chyrsler 300, with the versatility of a pick-up

I know but on the limited the payload is 1000 lbs.........I can put that in my wife's mini van without going over the official capacity.

Its a problem.

Otherwise the ED is a GREAT truck.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Diesel Freak

I believe in getting the next step up in a truck than you think you will need. Tomorrow I drive to San Diego to pick up a 19,100 lb 5ver. I could never have even considered it without already having my current truck. Keep your future options open! Get at least the 2500. Maybe even the 3500. Don't lock yourself in.

2014 3500 CC Longhorn 6.7 4X4 4.10 LB Aisin DRW. Western Brown, Lifestyle LS36FW 5ver, Andersen Ultimate AL 5th wheel hitch. Aero Tanks 70 gal replacement tank, SOLD: '08 F350 CC 6.4 4X4 4.10 LB DRW
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Cummins Nut

I looked at the Eco real hard and wanted one for my third diesel, but spending the time to look closer I needed more than a 1/2 ton.

Plus no long bed crew cab to me that's just un-American. And the reason why, very few buyers of the Eco really use them as a HD-pickup, so I walked away from them.
Their weight carrying capabilities was wimpy for my needs.

Bought a new CTD and never looked back.....

2014 Tradesman 6.7 Maximum Steel 4x4 CC LWB,
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
I know. But they are ugly as crap. The trade on my Avalanche at a locak dealer is to good to ber true and if I put another 15k on this thing, Im at the point where the value will plummet.

I own it and it actually still has some value as it approaches 200k. I know Im about to throw some money at it for my May inspection and I dont want to put a dime into it.

The timing on the Nissan is a little late.
i am on the same boat as you i don't need a truck to haul or tow, i got all that at work if i need a truck.

so i swapped my jeep and put a 4bt and if aim not doing semi hauling, i haul & pull anything on my 4bt.

my advice my friend is take your time, hope that help.
The Following User Says Thank You to john dear For This Useful Post:
Jdragon (02-24-2015)
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Cummins Fanatic

former EcoD owner here ('14 CC, Laramie w/air suspension). don't be too concerned about the "issues" - by far, far FAR most of the EcoD's have been amazing. you are spot on about their ride quality - i don't know if you drove the air suspension model or not, it is amazing how comfortable that truck is.

the real issue is, everything about the EcoD is focused towards efficiency (MPG). yes, it has a ridiculously low payload...that said, the air supsension has been proven to still self-level up to 2k lbs. does that mean you should ignore the payload rating? no, but you should also not think the truck is going to fall apart if you exceed 1100lbs.

i decided however, that for towing, the CTD 2500 was a better choice for me. for example, the exhaust brake on the CTD seemed almost enough for me to make a change - and i don't have a heavy trailer (Lance 2285, about 6klbs loaded). the 1500 only has 5 lug wheels. maybe stupid little things to many, but to me i decided, as others have said - would rather have more truck and never need it than not quite enough, or be at the maximum of the truck.

i have a '14 2500 CC big horn. it is a totally different animal from the 1500. it took me about 3k miles before i stopped missing the ride of the 1500. i know really REALLY like my 2500. i think all things you've stated, if you are not concerned about MPG's then the 2500 is maybe the way to go. you can get a really nicely equipped 2500 Laramie with all the create comforts and pay less than the 1500 EcoD.

let us know what you decide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode