Seat Swap on 2010-2012 Model Dodge Ram 6.7 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2010-2012 General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 4th generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Seat Swap on 2010-2012 Model Dodge Ram 6.7 and Heated Steering Wheel

I've been attempting to get clarity as to what is involved in with swapping out a SLT 2012 2500 front bench seat for captain chairs and center console. There are a number of threads related to this topic across a number of years but it seems to be bits and pieces of information.

As far as I can tell the swap is tackled in a couple different ways:
Have WIC open up to see the build list and add the options that your rig did not come with and purchase the necessary sub harnesses to connect to the new seats (my only question here is should I source a sub harness for a fully optioned truck for 2010-2017 or would is it best to source only a certain number of years for a 2012 model? This route I believe also would require the BCU to be reflashed so you can have the features added to your vehicle.

Another option I've been told is where you will take your existing wiring out of the seat you are looking to swap and replace the wiring one the replacement seats, only issue I can possibly see with this route is if you didn't have some options such as ventilation and heat and wished to add those your not able to.

I've also heard some people have simply cut off the plug from the existing harness on their current seat and then remove the plug on replacement seats and plug and go, however I'm not sure this wouldn't create limits with adding all the features that could possibly be available.

Regardless, in the end when adding features not currently stock on your truck flashing the BCU would be required.

Any feedback with specific years of swapping seats and changing sub harnesses would be interesting to know if anyone feels like sharing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like it might be easier and less painful to go buy a truck with the interior configuration you want.

2011 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 68RFE 3.73 Gears <---- Starting to really love this truck!!
Sold 2003 Ram 2500 QC 5.9 Cummins 48RE 3.73 Gears <----Should have kept this one!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

certainly however I know people have been able to do it I'm am just trying to create a reference and add to it as I go along or others are welcome to contribute, I like enjoy the project side of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Same year seats from a 1500 into a 2500/3500 should be plug and play as long as they share the same features such as heated seats etc? I’ve just heard conflicting information related to this topic and wanted to confirm if someone was to use seats from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton same year/features your good to go
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

so I found low milage 2012 leather heated/air seats from a 1500 Dodge Ram that go right in on my 2012 2500 Big Horn, everything plug right in as expected however there remains one additional plug that is attached to a bracket under the seat (interestingly this same plug was on my powered cloth interior seats, however my cloth interior seats did not come with air bags which I've heard was somewhat rare), I am curious if this plug is for airbags or not. Also, power functions are working however the new seat control switched I added to the center bezel and plugged in are not working, do I need to get the sales codes added to make the heat/air function?

Thanks for any input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seatplug.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	843609  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

when I say rare regarding the airbags in the seats I'm referring to 2012 models where as I understand it most have the bags in the seats not sure why some do and some don't
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Bighorn, my 2011 Laramie came with the heated and air conditioned seats and since it was a left over model year I couldn't get picky and still get the heavy discount, but if I would have had a choice I would have opted for a front bench seat. I know the heated seats are nice on the tush on frosty mornings but my butt warms up after a little bit anyway, and when it does I still don't have a 6 seater. Oh well!

BTW, I like the heated steering wheel a lot more than heated seats.LOL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

all true but I figure if the only step left is to get a dealer to flash the bcm then why not
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

So I've had time to look more into adding heated steering wheel function to the truck, I believe that in order for it to work you need the heated seat module installed if you don't have it already, plus the heated wheel button on the dash.

I found the clock spring that is required for the heated wheel function it is
56046115 AE the clock spring that I currently have on the truck is 560406076 AH and best I can tell the heated feature is not part of this part. I did pull the airbag off the steering wheel to get the part number and get a look at the wiring to see if the leather wheel I have on my 12 2500 cummins is enabled for heated function I wanted to confirm this prior to installing the new clock spring. If anyone that has a heated wheel function happens to have an image to compare to I would be curious if it looks similar I could only find a couple number listed on the wheel which didn't look like traditional part numbers, the wheel has all the radio controls, cruise functions etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	848765   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	848767  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

was able to confirm the part number I have on my wheel has been replaced with the following number 5NH77XDVAA and confirm that my wheel does in fact has the heating capabilities so I am good to go there. Just so you know the steering wheel is discontinued however there is one showing up in the dodge system out of Atlanta I believe retail 319.00 but I'm sure an online price is better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode