Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Custom puddle light

46K views 67 replies 32 participants last post by  MGB RAM 
#1 ·
Alright, so like everyone else, the puddle lights in my truck don't work thanks to the factory deciding they don't need to be sealed. I know the 18mm eagle eye lights will work in there as a replacement, which is what i was thinking about doing, but i'm also debating about the custom door projector lights like you see on a couple sites Specifically these I'm wondering if anyone has actually handled these before, and know the approximate size of them. I'm not drilling into my door to install them, but i'm not against putting them into the mirror if they will fit inside the factory mirrors through where the factory puddle light is. I've done some searching but only found people putting small LEDs in, or the 18mm eagle eyes. thoughts and opinions guys? Or if you know of a link where i can actually get a good size figured out, that would be great too

#2 ·
Wow,I forgot my puddle lights!!! They haven't work in years. I just looked up the eagle eye. You say it's a quick replacement? If so then that's what I'm doing. Thanks for the tip.

#3 ·
yeah, looks like (based off quick search on here) there is a hole directly above the lens, the allows for the light to recess in. Doing some more research on these "ghost shadow" lights, you can get 'em pretty small, the old ones were huge but the newer ones are about the same size as an 18mm eagle eye. just hoping someone chimes in here, i can get the ghost shadows for like $30 a set, so i might just order some and see what happens. worst case i buy new puddle light lenses right?

#6 ·
I bought some bolt-beam style lights off superbrightleds.com and only got to the driver side and figured out the currently going to the light was only strong enough to barely light the LED. that makes me think it may be a 5V.

The lights specify that they is a 9-14 volt range in which the light will operate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: gotdiesel04
#9 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Good news! I finally got off my butt and measured voltage. As a disclaimer this is on a 2012 mega cab. Should be the same foot everyone but there is that....and what we all wanted to see is....

#13 ·
And that being said I ordered some eagle eye lights. I really want to get some of those shadow laser lights but I haven't found one that fits. Needs to be tiny. If I find one I'll let you guys know. Basically needs to be less the half on inch diameter and length can probably be about an inch. So far all the ones I've seen are significantly larger....

#15 ·
Another option, took me a few hours and like 20 bucks. They light the whole side of the truck up and the ground. been a few months and haven't skipped a beat. I was so tired of warranty, warranty, warranty.

Attachments

#16 ·
I've got 2 things ordered, one is 2 eagle eye blue LED deals, and the other is a pack of LEDs similar to what you used DC350, when i get 'em i'll test the two out and see which i like better in terms of light and fit

#19 ·
For reference, these are the 2 sets of lights i ordered, i'm going to play with them and see which one i like better in terms of fit and light output. Figure for under $12 i can test both and see which ones i like better, and end up with something to put somewhere else. like maybe on the lawn mower....we will see. lol They should be delivered tonight, so i may try to get off work early and go play with these.

10 pack and prewires blue LEDs

3w eagle eye LEDs

#20 ·
As a side note, looks like the eagle eye lights ship straight from the manufacturer! in china. idk how there is profit in there since they have free shipping from the other side of the world but it is what it is. guess that means i'll just be playing with the other lights and if i like 'em i'll use those and find somewhere else for the eagle eyes

#21 ·
Hopefully going to see how well 3 of the lights i got work here soon. had a minute today and i pulled off the puddle light and drilled a couple holes into one. a 3/16 bit is the perfect size for these so that they sit perfectly in the hole. there is a small ledge at the base of the bulb that is larger then the drilled hole and lets it sit there. going to hot glue behind them to seal it up. I would do that now but the night shade paint is at my house and i'm at work and i wan't to paint them before i install the light so as to maximize my light output. But now that the holes are drilled i really have to do this tonight so i'll have pictures to add in most likely in the morning

#23 · (Edited)
Wanna send me your old ones? I want a set to play with the eagle eyes.

Also, got them installed, we will see what it's like once it gets dark out.....

#25 ·
Well if anyone else has a set that have been replaced and don't work, i'd like to have 'em so i can play with the eagle eyes. I'll see if i can't find some locally and play with it but used parts for these trucks are hard to come by locally

I didn't get a night shot of them as it's light out until late and the sun comes right back up nice and early. I'll probably get some pics this weekend i think

#26 ·
Does anyone know where the source is for the puddle light power? I wonder if I could rewire my amp research step lights, to come on and dim with the mirror puddle lights? I'm electronically challenged, so I was hoping someone else had done something similar. Sorry if this derails the thread, but I hoped maybe it would also give ideas for new puddle light replacements, rather than the ones in the mirror.

#28 · (Edited)
If I pull my door panel off I can follow the wires. Check out ram body builder, that might have a wiring harness that you could figure it out with. Also, finally got an almost night shot, and I'm happy with these. If someone has a set of bad puddle lights, I'd still like to get my hands on em to test the eagle eyes. But pics...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.