Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Frame mount Filter kit

81K views 354 replies 58 participants last post by  philandhistj 
#1 ·
#232 ·
I might this go round. I didn't the last 2 times. I've got a big bottle of it in the tool box.

#233 ·
I used plenty of Anti seize in the threads this time. This was my first time to replace the filters and the Baldwin water Sep. Filter was the one that gave me a fight. I end up getting it off with a large pipe wrench and put they new ones on (used a Donaldson this time in place of the Cat) as tight as I could by hand and have no leaks. I think I used a filter wrench to tighten them a little more last time so we will see how it goes. I don't put a lot of miles on my truck so I can go 1 year between changes!!!

Reactions: camperman
#234 ·
That's all I do also tight as I can get them by hand.:thumbsup:

#235 ·
Hollnagel, SRich12,

Do you think that the metals in in filter bases are part of the problem? Different animal, but the base where the OIL filter screws onto, never has any issues. I know that a magnet will NOT stick to the threaded part of a CAT filter. Magnet will stick to the FS5814, and to the Baldwin water separator filter. Also sticks to the Luberfiner filter as well. Any best guesses?

#236 ·
There's a chance it could be. I just picked up a fleetguard filter base. Looks exactly like the Baldwin filter base in the kit.

Gonna get it all back together and use some anti-seize this time.

#238 ·
All finished and ready to roll again! :thumbsup: I put the Donaldson on there.

Fleetguard base was just like the Baldwin.

#240 ·
Glad you got it back together!!! Think I may pick up a filter base just to have on hand!! Did you pick one up at a truck supply shop?? What do they run?? Thanks

#241 · (Edited)
Yeah I picked it up at truck supply shop. I give $24 for the Fleetguard. Checked at the peterbuilt place and they had the Baldwin for almost $30

#242 ·
I need to replace my filters as well. It has been a year since I put them on I wonder if I'm going to run into the same issues you guys have had. I think it might also be a good idea to pick up some extra bases. When I put mine on I didn't crank them down I just did them hand tight like I would an oil filter

#243 ·
That's all I do also is hand tight. First time I changed them didn't have no problem. Second time is where the cat filter messed up on me. I didn't use anti-seize the other times either. I did this time so we'll see if it makes a difference in another 5-6 months from now.

#244 · (Edited)
Just climbed under the truck to replace the filters. Much to my surprise they were no harder to remove than a typical oil filter. Took the old ones off. Prepped the new ones with a little antisieze on the threads, a little oil on the rubber oring and good to go. I did replace the cat filter with a Donaldson filter though.

Red Cylinder Auto part Gas

#245 ·
Just climbed under the truck to replace the filters. Much to my surprise they were no harder to remove than a typical oil filter. Took the old ones off. Prepped the new ones with a little antisieze on the threads, a little oil on the rubber oring and good to go. I did replace the cat filter with a fleet guard filter though.

View attachment 441465
Looks like a Donaldson???

#250 ·
There is a lot of great info in this thread. I just ordered 2 Baldwin bases and will start the process of building my own filter kit. I was going to buy a Cat Cummins kit but with exchange, shipping and duty to get it up here to Calgary I'm looking at over $400 Ca. The Bases I bought from Acklands were $21 a piece, the Baldwin w/s filter is $13.00 and the Donaldson P551313 filter is $12.. I will make my own bracket as I have some left over 1/4'' x 4'' aluminium from another project. Looking forward to getting started on this. I'm retired now so I've got lots of time to build this kit, just wish I still had my heated shop so I could work on my truck in comfort!!:banghead:

#252 ·
I have most of the parts too minus the hydraulic hoses. For me the hardest part to find was the union between the 2 bases. The bases I got had connections that were a 7/8"-14 thread. I found one on Amazon that's a couple instead of a union but it works. Now I just need to find somewhere or someone to make some hydraulic hoses that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Also I saw a thread where the guy mounted his bases directly to the underside of the truck where there's reinforcing for the back seat. It seemed like a good option and would put the filters as high as possible. I'll find it and post the link.

#254 ·
Installed a secondary fuel filtration system from Throttle Up Industries over the weekend. The only bad thing i can say about this kit is the "J-tube" did not want to seal properly at either end. Torqued it to specs and still leaked. Don't know if the flared fittings at the ends failed or what. I ended up using some automotive teflon tape to seal things up so i could be on my way. Going to remove it and replace it with some fuel hose and some push lock fittings. I used the CAT filter the kit came with only because my Donaldson filters haven't arrived yet.

#255 ·
Did you put the anti-seize on the filter base threads? I have the kit, and I thought the Cat filter may have galled the threads, or anti-seize was not used by the shop that did the install. I am well pleased with my kit. The shop replaced the filter base & filter. No issues since.

#259 ·
I did remember to use anti-seize on the filter bases. Reading through this thread about all the galled threads when using the CAT filter, i made sure anti-seize was on there. I'm replacing the CAT filter with a Donaldson filter, whenever FEDEx decides to drop them off :confused013:

Agreed!!! Use plenty of anti seize on the Filter base threads every time. Some of us have learned the Hard way. I also had to use Teflon on the J tube but has been fine now for over a year!!!:thumbsup:
Good to hear that i'm not the only one that needed to use teflon tape. I'm just worried about the tape deteriorating over time and plugin up an injector. I've already ordered the pushlok fittings and hose to replace the J-tube :banghead:

#256 ·
Agreed!!! Use plenty of anti seize on the Filter base threads every time. Some of us have learned the Hard way. I also had to use Teflon on the J tube but has been fine now for over a year!!!:thumbsup:

#258 ·
I've been leaning towards the
VP MAX Dual Remote Filter Kit . It looks like it's pretty much the same kit from throttle ind. but $100 less. Looks good to me. I plan on ordering a kit for my 2010 and 1 for my brothers 06 .. Anyone here using this kit ?

Reactions: 98whitelightnin
#261 ·

Finally got some decent weather to install my home built filter/water separator. Made sure to use anti seize on the filterbase threads. After taking my truck for a short drive I noticed a small leak between the bases. I tightened up the connector and no more leaking!!
Total cost including the filters was $184.00 Canadian

#262 ·
Changed all 3 filters today. The oem filter had been in there for a year (right at 30,000 miles on it). About 17,000 miles on the other 2.

Oem filter

I did notice one difference in the two filter bases I have. The Baldwin base has a little nipple after the threads where the Fleetguard base doesn't

I had to get a little rough with the Baldwin filter. The Donaldson came right off easy. I also bought me a chain filter wrench. Really liking it so far.

#263 · (Edited)
Hallnagel, no issues with threads this time, I see. Did using the anti-seize make that big of a difference? I will change all 3 of my filters next month. I do plan on using the anti-seize when I change the dual filter kit filters. What filters did you use for the change. Are you still using the 'Cat' filter, or a different one?

edit: I re-read your post, I see that you did use a Donaldson filter. I'm going with the Luber Finer again this time.

Reactions: Hollnagel
#264 ·
Hallnagel, no issues with threads this time, I see. Did using the anti-seize make that big of a difference? I will change all 3 of my filters next month. I do plan on using the anti-seize when I change the dual filter kit filters. What filters did you use for the change. Are you still using the 'Cat' filter, or a different one?

Yes sir I think the anti-seize definitely helps.

Not sure why the Baldwin was being a little hard to get off. The Donaldson came off easy.

I just put them on by hand. After the gasket gets flush with the base I can almost get another 3/4 turn by hand

I used the Baldwin / Donaldson again.

I have a couple more cat filters but I'm not gonna use them. Just to be on the safe side.

#265 ·
Hollnagel, Also, a huge thank you for your postings and photos. I belong to the technology challenged crowd. I will be at approx. 10,500 miles when I change my filters next month. Looking forward to comparing my oem filter to the photo of yours.

Reactions: Hollnagel
#266 ·
You're welcome. Just glad somebody gets some kind of use from them.

On post 190 I have a picture of the oem filter with around 22,000 miles on it. It was in there for about 5000 miles before I added the dual filters.

This filter with 30,000 miles looks cleaner than the other one did. So the duals are most definitely helping.

Edit: added the pics from post 190

#269 ·
Yeah I took a video of the flow when I installed it. I also have the GDP Big flow kit also. This is going through all 3 filters.

#273 · (Edited)
I changed all three fuel filters today. The under the hood filter was replaced with a Fleetguard FS53000 Nanonet media filter. Filters had approx. 10,800 miles and one year of service.

When I removed the under the hood filter, It was a lot cleaner looking than previously without having the Cat/Cummins dual filter kit. I could really tell a difference on this filter change with the dual filter kit in place.

When I changed the Baldwin BF1212, I drained it before removing. I used a band type filter wrench near the top of the filter to remove. When I removed the Luber Finer LFF 3347, a replacement for the cat filter, it came off easily too. I did put Anti-Seize on the base threads on both fuel filter bases. Old filters came off with no problems, and new ones went on easily too.

I did start the truck after changing the under the hood filter before changing the other 2. I cycled the key 7 times, and the truck started right up. Did same process after changing the 2 filters on the dual filter kit, again, truck started right up.

I do think that the dual filter kit kept the under the hood filter a lot cleaner.

i just wanted to post my results on what I observed on today's filter changing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.