LED light fast flash fix. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
2003/2004 General Discussion General Discussion for the Early (2003/2004) Common Rail No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
LED light fast flash fix.

First of all I would like to thank all of you that post information on this site. I have been able to solve many of my issues by just looking through the posts on this site. This week I was helping my father-in-law install LED lights on his 03 3500 with a western hauler bed. We were having several issues related to the factory wiring. The first was the quick flash of the signal lights. The other was when we had the signal on and then applied the brakes it would cancel the signal flash and only operate the brake lights. I searched through a lot of information on the subject and found info on many solutions but within the same post I read were people had tried that fix and it did not work. So that got me to really scratching my head on what we could do to fix the problem. I ended up taking a little information from several posts and compiling it to create my own solution. First of all this was installed using the factory truck wiring. we bought a trailer light converter box or some call it a taillight converter. Got it at tractor supply for around $30.00. make sure it has a separate circuit for the brake lights. for those that don't know it basically takes the five circuits on your vehicle and converts it to four circuits for a trailer. If you take the driver side factory plug for the taillights and hold it so that the part that locks when the plugs are connected is turned up. When the plug is held in this order the top left pin is your ground. the top center is a blank. the top right is your running lights. the bottom left is your reverse light. the bottom center is turn signal and the bottom right is brake lights. The pin sequence is the same for both sides but don't get confused because the wires are different colors on each side except for the ground which is black and the reverse light which is purple. take the tail light converter box and wire the vehicle side up using the factory wiring. We chose to leave the factory plug on so we spliced our wires in. We used the driver side plug to run the converter box. It will also come with a long wire on the vehicle side to run over to the passenger side turn signal. once that was wired we went to the passenger side and spliced in the parking, ground and reverse lights using the factory wires for the passenger side. the brake circuit was left unused on the passenger side (more on that shortly). once that is installed we took two of the 2 inch round lights and spliced them in on the ground wire and the turn signal wire of both sides on the FACTORY wires. ensure its on the factory wires. and you only need to install them on the turn signal and ground wires. This eliminated the fast flashing. I have read that this doesn't work but I know for a fact it does. we installed them where they are easy to get to if one blows out. We also tested to see what happens when one does blow and you get the fast flash on that side only when the signal is applied. Back to the brake wires. with this setup you will still have the lamp out light illuminated on the dash. I knew that since we did not use the pass brake light circuit that had to be the reason why. We installed a fused jumper between the brake pins in an attempt to eliminate that light. it worked until you turned on the signal AND pushed the brake. then the light would flash on and off in sync with the signal and also chime in sync with the signal. as soon as you let off the brake with the signal still on the lamp out light would go away. we just unhooked it cause he said he could live with the light. As far as the brake light NOT cancelling the signal after we got it hooked up I could only contribute to the tail light converter box. That is the only thing I can think of that fixed that problem. I hope this post helps someone that had the same problem as I did. I know for a fact this works because we spent four evenings going through trial and error. Every light works just like it should except that the lamp out light is still illuminated on the dash.

The Following User Says Thank You to ramintn For This Useful Post:
QuckSilver05 (12-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Thanks for sharing!

I wish there was an easier way

2016 RGLB DRW Rear Air Ride On Order! 2013 RCLB 2WD G56 FOR SALE, Previous trucks 2010 RCLB 2WD G56, 2008 CCSB 6Speed Hemi 4x4, 2007.5 CCLB DRW 4x4, 2003 CCSB 4x4, 2003 RCLB 2WD, 36' Cigarette Offshore.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I ended up buying aftermarket lights, gutting the housings. Made the girlfriend cut the intricate holes. Installed the factory light in the housings. Works perfect! I will start a thread with pics eventually

2016 RGLB DRW Rear Air Ride On Order! 2013 RCLB 2WD G56 FOR SALE, Previous trucks 2010 RCLB 2WD G56, 2008 CCSB 6Speed Hemi 4x4, 2007.5 CCLB DRW 4x4, 2003 CCSB 4x4, 2003 RCLB 2WD, 36' Cigarette Offshore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Cummins Fan

Great info!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Cummins Fan

Great info! I just got led taillights and I'm having the turn signal brake issue. I'm going to try this out. Thanks!

05 QCSB second gen manifold. 64mm charger. K&N air intake. Air dog 150. Smarty s06 South bend dual disk Pro comp traction bars 20" fuel wheels on 33s. Glow shift gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode