Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2003 Dodge Ram P0837 codes won't go away

9K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Polo2013 
#1 ·
Good evening everyone,

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine. Recently I gotten the P0837, P0341, and P0366 codes popping up on the truck. I replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors as well as the plug connectors and inspected the wiring. I start driving and the truck jerks(shakes) a little and the check engine light turns on. Sometimes the truck with continue to jerk and sometimes it runs fine. If it runs fine for 30-40 miles and I shut the truck off, next time I turn it on the light is gone. It has been doing this for a month and Im getting to the point that i don't know what else to do to it. I love my truck but this is starting to get old. Any recommendations?? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
i don't know what the issue is, but i would go through and verify ALL grounds and clean and tight, checking electrical connections for corrosion, broken pins, loose wires. you can even check the plugs under the TIPM. if the fan clutch wires are broken/chafed, that can cause some issues. i don't know if it would cause your symptoms, but it wouldn't hurt to check the wires.

Reactions: tryNto and Polo2013
#3 ·
:welcome:
Be sure to also check the wiring harness under the oil filter/AC area for chafed/bare wires.

#4 ·
Just because new sensor does not always mean good, We always use Cummins OEM replacement.
cam and crank sensors should be between 900-1100 ohms when properly tested.
Wiring on ECM needs to be clean tight some 03 had issue with this.
Should test with ohm meter can be issue internally in wiring/connectors :wink2:

#5 ·
Ok thank you I will look more closely at the wiring. I always use Cummins OEM parts especially if its electrical. Just sucks not being able to find the problem. Is there a way to buy a new engine harness? Im never getting rid of this truck so its worth the investment lol

#7 ·
No TIPM in these trucks...

Unplug and clean connectors on ECM. Use the electrical contact cleaner in a spray can.

I also found issues on my 2004 with the two grey and purple connectors on the firewall behind the intake manifold. The contacts get corroded and loose nowadays from the engine vibrations and humidity. Those two connectors caused all sorts of issues with my gear indicator and speedometer...

Worse comes to worse, it could be the ECM, but it is always best to rule out all wiring first. Remember to check those grounds and also don't throw money at it, you'll regret it in the end.

Reactions: rghavana
#8 ·
Thank you guys for the tips. I will check on it and let you know what I find. I been super busy and haven't had a chance to check the wiring. Also, I noticed that when I tow a trailer it jerks/shakes and activates the code more often. I have left the truck parked on idle for minutes just to see what id does and nothing. Only when driving. Thank you everyone once again for the tips.

#10 ·
No I don't have that. I have tried everything and they still come on every now and then. Earlier today i was driving back home from the fire station and it jerked a few times and wanted to shut off so I pulled over and I turned it off. It gave me 5 codes, P0483, P0837, P0336, P0341, P0647. It took a few times tries to turn it on. I would start it and it would sound rough and shut off, it even smelled like unburned fuel, I tried and tried and about the 6-7 time it started right up like nothing and ran fine for 50 miles or so. This truck is killing me lol. Any other suggestions before i take it to the dealer or burn it lol

#11 ·
Any multiple codes like that, I would first check make sure good batteries 12.6 v++ fully charged and good connections including grounds, to batteries and PDC.

Then like mentioned, with those codes and info provided most common cause is wires by ac compressor, ECM shares ac clutch/transducer sensors signal/power feeds with other sensors.

P0837 probably unrelated should go thru diagnostics
P0837-4WD MUX SWITCH PERFORMANCE
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0837-4WD MUX SWITCH PERFORMANCE
When Monitored: Continuously with the ignition on.
Set Condition: The 4WD muxed switch input detected in an invalid range or irrational
switch state.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
RELATED DTCS PRESENT
TRANSFER CASE SHIFTER OUT OF ADJUSTMENT
TRANSFER CASE POSITION SENSOR OUT OF TOLERANCE
POWERTRAIN/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 With the DRBIIIt, read DTCs.
Are any other Transfer Case DTCs present?
Yes ! Repair all other Transfer Case DTCs before proceeding.
No ! Go To 2
2 Verify proper Transfer Case Shifter adjustment per the Service Information.
Is the Transfer Case Shifter adjusted correctly?
All
Yes ! Go To 3
No ! Adjust the Transfer Case shifter linkage per the Service Information.
3 Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Disconnect the PCM/ECM harness connector(s).

Measure the resistance across the Transfer Case Position Sensor signal circuit and
Sensor Ground circuit at the PCM/ECM harness connector.
Place the transfer case in each of the following positions:
2H - resistance should be between 1124 and 1243 ohms.
4H - resistance should be between 650 and 719 ohms.
N - resistance should be between 389 and 431 ohms.
4L - resistance should be between 199 and 221 ohms.
Were all resistance values in each transfer case position within the specified range?
All
Yes ! Go To 4
No ! Replace the Transfer Case Position Sensor.

#12 ·
Good morning, so I took the truck to a friends shop and he hooked it up to his computer and tried to erase the codes but they came right back. The camshaft and crankshaft sensors are working and communications properly. The fan clutch is working and has the right speed and voltage to it. He did however said that the lift pump pressure is low at around 2600-2800 and when started it goes up to around 5000 or so. He did mention that he doesn't hear the pump prime when you turn the key to "on" position before cranking the engine. Any suggestions???

#13 ·
That's rail pressure. You were seeing 2600-2800 PSI when cranking? Then 5000 PSI at idle? Both of those are a little low. I don't think it will even fire the injectors until it sees over 3000 PSI. i can't remember how much it needs to fire the injectors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Yes when you turn the key on to start it. You have to accelerate the truck to get it to start and stay on. Takes a few tries to get it started while accelerating it at the same time. Could the lift pump be going out and causing the issue and the codes?

#15 ·
Open up the drain from your fuel filter canister, bump the starter and you should get about 1 qt of fuel in 20 seconds. That should give you an ideal if your lift pump is working properly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Polo2013
#17 ·
Im pretty sure your 2003 has the lift pump in the engine bay. From what I've read, those are less reliable then the in tank lift pumps they changed to. I haven't read too much about the in tank OEM lift pumps not being reliable. So the OEM in tank lift pump will be a good option.

#18 ·
I would absolutely NOT recommend going to the in tank pump. When it goes bad, changing the pump becomes extremely difficult. Ask me how I know...

I had good luck with Oreilly's stock style lift pump on the 04. It is precision brand with limited lifetime warranty. It’s also much easier to change.

#19 ·
I still use the OEM canister mounted lift pump. Bought 1 from Napa with lifetime replacement. Take the old 1 in, and get a new one, buy a new pre-filter to keep the warranty valid.

#20 ·
Thank you guys for your recommendations, I called the Dodge dealer but they have a replacement that now requires a pump in the tank and I said no thanks. I went to Napa as you guys mentioned and got the pump for $170 with lifetime warranty. I will have my friend install it today and see if that fixed the issue. The original lift pump has been on the truck since it was built in 10/02, so it doesn't hurt to replace it and hope that's the issue. I will keep y'all updated. Thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.