Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Rough Country Lift on 08 2500 Install

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  '03dodge2500 
#1 ·
Hello all, for my birthday the way bought me the Rough Country 5" Long Arm Kit. I finally got around to installing, which took a few days to do because of work and needing to get tools, etc.

The Cam bolts were a PITA to get off. I used a 6" grinder and cut the old bolts off. Of course the new ones weren't in stock at Orielly's so had to wait till the next morning.

Overall the install went pretty good except for one flaw in the instructions. When drilling the holes for the skid plate it stated to drill a 15/32 hole and use the provided self tapping bolts to hold the skid plate in place. I drilled the two holes in the frame and attempted to use the bolts, well to my surprise the holes were too big. In order to use the bolts they provided you need to use a 3/16 drill bit. I called Rough Country, they apologized, and said they would look into it.

So to remedy the problem I bought a 5/8-11 tap & bolts and snugged it up.

Of course since I was going to need an alignment I went ahead and replaced the entire steering linkage since the right tie rod was bad. I was able to get the alignment almost on it was definitely good enough to get to the alignment shop.

So my first test drive with the kit on I noticed the steering was a little splashy and I had a horrible vibration at 65mph and up.

I got to the alignment shop and had them check the caster thinking it was the problem. They found the track bar bolt on the axle was loose (I totally spaced to tighten it). Caster was perfect on both sides a 6*, awesome since I guessed.

On the way home from the alignment shop the vibration was still there. So I pulled the adjustable upper arms and adjusted them to a 1/2" longer. The direction called for 17 1/4" when I originally installed them. I locked them in at 17 3/4" and snugged everything back up.

I took the truck for another test drive and got up to 80mph and the vibration was gone. So the 1/2" adjustment rotated the axle enough to line up the driveline and bam no more vibration.

I will post some pictures of the kit installed if anyone is interested. I'm still running 33's so it looks a little funny, though.

See less See more
#3 ·
It rides like stock may be just a little bit stiffer since everything is new but its a 3/4 ton and I wouldn't expect anything different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.