08 Transmission Problems - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Newbie
 
Jatcash6.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Huntersville, North Carolina
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffm View Post
Any idea on approximate cost to replace VB assy? Thanks again.
Parts ran us 700$ for a VB kit. And 1.5 hrs and a fluid flush. Simple job, just messy.


Matcash Transportation
Jatcash6.7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hi TransEngineer. Thanks for your advise. I'm having the same issue with the shifting from 4th. It sticks.
I see this thread has gone on for several years and hope that you are still following.
I'm going to replace the valve body/soleniod myself as it doesn't seem to be too difficult. I am seeing prices as high as $1200 for the body/solenoid now though. Can you direct me to a source for a less expensive part please?
Thanks Rob
RobTruck is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
So I spent $725 for a kit including valve body,solenoid and pressure sensor plus filters and pan basket. Then another $60 for fluid. No luck. I'm still having trouble shifting into 5th and 6th. Slipping in 5th and 6th if I give it any throttle. Soon it goes into limp mode, stuck in 4th gear.
The strange thing is the codes I get P0700, which I expect, but also P0750 which says a
Shift solenoid A malfunction. This points to electrical issue of issue with 1-2 gear.
Doesn't seem to correlate with my 5-6 gear slippage. I was thinking of clutches are shot but am puzzled by the P0750 code. Any help is appreciated
RobTruck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 PM
TECH SPECIALIST
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grass Lake, MI
Posts: 3,775
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,041 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTruck View Post
So I spent $725 for a kit including valve body,solenoid and pressure sensor plus filters and pan basket. Then another $60 for fluid. No luck. I'm still having trouble shifting into 5th and 6th. Slipping in 5th and 6th if I give it any throttle. Soon it goes into limp mode, stuck in 4th gear.
The strange thing is the codes I get P0700, which I expect, but also P0750 which says a
Shift solenoid A malfunction. This points to electrical issue of issue with 1-2 gear.
Doesn't seem to correlate with my 5-6 gear slippage. I was thinking of clutches are shot but am puzzled by the P0750 code. Any help is appreciated
Yes, if it's slipping in 5th and 6th, it's likely your OD clutches are gone. But then you should be getting a P0735 and/or P0729 fault. Was the fluid burnt, or was there any clutch debris in the pan, when you changed the VB and fluid?

P0750 is an LR Solenoid Circuit fault. Did you have that before? If not, then I suspect your new solenoid module has a bad LR solenoid in it.
TransEngineer is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks so much for the reply. The fluid looked and smelled new when I accidentally dumped it all over me while lying under the truck. Lol. It was clean with no noticeable debris in the pan. There was a magnet in the bottom of the pan with fine paste like sludge but only a tiny amount. I'm not sure if I had the P0750 before. I was using an old scanner that only showed P0700. I used a newer scanner tonight and saw the P0750 as well. I have the old valve body and solenoid pack but would hate to swap it all out again knowing I likely need to rebuild the clutches anyway. I'm stumped with what to do next.
RobTruck is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH SPECIALIST
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grass Lake, MI
Posts: 3,775
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,041 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTruck View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. The fluid looked and smelled new when I accidentally dumped it all over me while lying under the truck. Lol. It was clean with no noticeable debris in the pan. There was a magnet in the bottom of the pan with fine paste like sludge but only a tiny amount. I'm not sure if I had the P0750 before. I was using an old scanner that only showed P0700. I used a newer scanner tonight and saw the P0750 as well. I have the old valve body and solenoid pack but would hate to swap it all out again knowing I likely need to rebuild the clutches anyway. I'm stumped with what to do next.
See if you can take it to a dealer or shop and have them read the DTC Event Data with their scan tool. DTC Event Data is a block of data that gets written into memory when a trans fault is detected. There can be up to 6 blocks of DTC Event Data stored (the first 5 faults since the last reflash or quicklearn, plus the most recent fault). Clearing the faults does NOT erase the DTC Event Data. See if any of the data is for a P0735 or P0729. And see if they can print you a copy of all the DTC Event Data (every block that has a fault code in it). That can give us some valuable clues as to what's going on.
TransEngineer is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'll do that. Thanks for the help. I'll post what I find.
RobTruck is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM
Diesel Head
 
El Pozzinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Batten Roodje
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 151
Thanked 341 Times in 302 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Did you get a new or a reman VB? If you got a reman could be the process missed something inside the VB and youíre still leaking on your OD circuit. If you havenít torn it down, see if you can determine what temperature the fluid reads when it stops shifting normally 1-6. If itís doing it all the time thatís probably either clutch pack or wiring - more likely clutches though. If itís only doing it at higher temps, itís probably a leaking solenoid piston or bore in the VB.

Iíve done a lot of back and forth with revmax, PATC, and suncoast the last couple months trying to diagnose mine. Itíll shift fine 1-6 as long as Iím below 10% load AND below 130* fluid temp on a bone stock, never serviced AFAIK, 175k mile trans with a revmax TCM. Itíll shift normally 1-5 (limited via ERS) as long as Iím below 20% load regardless of fluid temp. Fluid still bright red with zero burn smell. Iím still pretty sure my OD clutches are shot but the general consensus seems to be the main problem is a worn bore, cracked piston, or split o-ring on one of the solenoids in my VB.

Not saying all reman parts are junk but having seen brand new stuff bad right out of the box (sensors, OEM ball joints) it wouldnít surprise me if a reman brand missed a very minor internal fault during QC inspection which led to a recurring problem.

Hope this is at least mildly helpful...

Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
El Pozzinator is offline  
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hi TransEngineer
I finally got my codes dumped. I'm getting a P0706. Per your previous posts I see this means.
P0706 = Trans Range Sensor (TRS) Rationality. This means the TCM saw a code from the TRS that should never occur (i.e. that doesn't correspond to any valid PRNDL position).
The shop I had it at verified my observations of it having trouble getting into 5th and 6th gear and immediately dropping out at even limited throttle. This occurs at all temperatures of transmission fluid warm or cold.
I did also check with the local Dodge dealer on the cost of a MOPAR remanufactured transmission. Ouch !!! They wanted $6000 just for the transmission.
So, I am fairly convinced I need a transmission replacement due to overdrive clutches being worn or glazed. I replaced the valve body and solenionds and it is still exhibiting the same problems so I feel fairly confident it is not the valve body causing the slippage.
I can get a remanufactured transmission from any of the local auto parts stores Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly/NAPA for $3000 and am leaning toward a Moveras remanufactured transmission because it is sold by AutoZone, Advance, and NAPA. Also leaning toward AutoZone as they handle their own warranty replacement as opposed to the others that make you deal with the vendor.
I have a local shop scheduled for next monday to do the work which includes a new transmission cooler and quick learn for about $900. The shop wanted to talk amongst themselves to see if they could think it could be anything other than OD clutches. They seem very willing to eliminate any alternatives before the big expense of a transmission swap.
Ohhh and while they were looking at the truck they noticed my water radiator is cracked on the plastic end boss and is weeping. So I need a new radiator as well. Ugggghh
RobTruck is offline  
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:55 AM
TECH SPECIALIST
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grass Lake, MI
Posts: 3,775
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,041 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTruck View Post
Hi TransEngineer
I finally got my codes dumped. I'm getting a P0706. Per your previous posts I see this means.
P0706 = Trans Range Sensor (TRS) Rationality. This means the TCM saw a code from the TRS that should never occur (i.e. that doesn't correspond to any valid PRNDL position).
The shop I had it at verified my observations of it having trouble getting into 5th and 6th gear and immediately dropping out at even limited throttle. This occurs at all temperatures of transmission fluid warm or cold.
I did also check with the local Dodge dealer on the cost of a MOPAR remanufactured transmission. Ouch !!! They wanted $6000 just for the transmission.
So, I am fairly convinced I need a transmission replacement due to overdrive clutches being worn or glazed. I replaced the valve body and solenionds and it is still exhibiting the same problems so I feel fairly confident it is not the valve body causing the slippage.
I can get a remanufactured transmission from any of the local auto parts stores Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly/NAPA for $3000 and am leaning toward a Moveras remanufactured transmission because it is sold by AutoZone, Advance, and NAPA. Also leaning toward AutoZone as they handle their own warranty replacement as opposed to the others that make you deal with the vendor.
I have a local shop scheduled for next monday to do the work which includes a new transmission cooler and quick learn for about $900. The shop wanted to talk amongst themselves to see if they could think it could be anything other than OD clutches. They seem very willing to eliminate any alternatives before the big expense of a transmission swap.
Ohhh and while they were looking at the truck they noticed my water radiator is cracked on the plastic end boss and is weeping. So I need a new radiator as well. Ugggghh
Something is still fishy here. P0706 does NOT cause limp-in, and is not related to slippage within the trans. You ought to be setting Gear Ratio Error faults if it's slipping. But if it's blatantly slipping in 5th and 6th at light throttle, that means your OD clutch is slipping, so yes, you'll need to either have that clutch pack replaced, or as you're planning just go with a reman trans.
TransEngineer is offline  
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks again
I'm scheduled for a transmission and oil cooler swap next monday. Hopefully I can report success by the end of next week.
Rob
RobTruck is offline  
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My truck is back on the road. The swap of transmission is complete. Here are the details.
Remanufactured transmission from AutoZone $3300 (Moveras). Comes with 3yr 100,00 mile warranty. Lots of caveats but I did everything they asked. I went with AutoZone because they handle the warranty and don't make you go through the tranny builder. Also Jasper wanted $4000 and Dodge wanted $6000 for the tranny.
I bought new transmission cooler $170 and radiator $104 from Rock Auto. Total parts $3600
So great local shop did the swap, I just didn't have the time. They removed and installed, radiator and cooler, fluid,and quick learn for $1150
So total just less than $5000.
Truck is shifting smooth through first 5 gear, can't even feel it. Just a slight surge into 6th. I didn't realize how bad it was before.
The valve body I previously bought I am returning for a $425 credit. I paid $725. I still have the new solenoid and pressure sensor if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps someone down the road. Thanks to TransEngineer for his side advice. Rob
RobTruck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome