Calibrating VGT using Launch Scanner? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Calibrating VGT using Launch Scanner?

Has anyone here used a Launch scanner to calibrate a VGT actuator? I have a Launch x-431 V and I don't see that particular function listed, but I'm not really familiar with the scanner, yet. Anybody? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM

Sorry I can't help but I do have the same scanner so keep us updated if you figure it out. I will say this scanner has some of the functions like this duplicated in a few different categories so it might take some looking around. Thanks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I contacted Launch tech support but they haven't gotten back with me yet. I'll get back here if I find out anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Cummins Nut

Subscribing...

2008 Ram 2500 6.7L Laramie Fully Deleted,Ananchy EFI Live(CSP5) and TCM Tune,5" MBRP,Edge CTS,Carli (BJ,TB,CA,SB and Tune Fox Shocks),FS Airbags,AFE Trans/Diff covers,S&B CAI w/Scoop,Fass 150,Beans Sump,Fleece CBP,ARP 425,Bosch 65hp,Amsoil OBP,AMP Research,Redhead Box,GDP Pro WG,Banks IC/AH,Tater 63/67,BD Exh Man,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:43 PM
On call 24/7

Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,113 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I have swapped several actuators around on my 2012 and never needed anything to calibrate them. Just set the new actuator in the same spot the old one is at and its good to go.

1998 12v, 4x4, Club Cab, Carli, Thuren, BlueTop, Core 4x4, BD Diesel, PDD 5x.012, South Bend
2012 Laramie Longhorn, EFI by Ryan, Carli, Thuren
1995 Dually, Weston's 5x.016, 4k GSK, 5" FloPro, 255/85r16 Toyo M/T, Goerend, ARP, 60# Springs, BW 62/65/14, BW 75/96/1.10, Isspro, Fass 125, BDP Sump, 7mm DV's, 751 HP 1883 FP Torque on NOS
1998 P-Pumped 24v, 4x4, NV4500 swap
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty much what I ended up doing. I did some searching and read where one guy just cycled the key on and off a few times, this aligns the actuator gear with the gear arm on the turbo. You have to set the gear arm in the right position first, though.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I went to start the truck yesterday and the batteries were dead. I'll let you guys know what happens.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Update: As I mentioned, I tried installing the actuator without calibrating it with a scanner and no luck. After driving it a few times, my check engine light came on and showed a P226B code.(Turbo boost pressure too high) My exhaust brake doesn't work either. I contacted a mobile technician that has a Snap On scanner and I hope his scanner can run the actuator calibration test.

In the mean time, Launch hasn't gotten back with me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 03:09 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,933 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You could always just build your own calibration tool.

https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/art...ntroller-r531/

2018 3500 CCLB G56
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick08 View Post
Update: As I mentioned, I tried installing the actuator without calibrating it with a scanner and no luck. After driving it a few times, my check engine light came on and showed a P226B code.(Turbo boost pressure too high) My exhaust brake doesn't work either. I contacted a mobile technician that has a Snap On scanner and I hope his scanner can run the actuator calibration test.

In the mean time, Launch hasn't gotten back with me.
Rick08, any luck on this? I have been experiencing issue on my actuator also, it's a hit and miss, works well when it warms up but once it cools down doesn't seem to build boost. The last time i replace it was a year ago using a reman actuator and had to borrow a scanner from a shop and cost me $50 to calibrate. a week ago I decided to just pull the actuator with the key ON position to check if the vanes are sticking, by moving the lever and it was moving freely with very little effort, so i decided to order the actuator that City Diesel built which don't require calibration. Got it on yesterday and works like a charm.

2008 Ram 2500 6.7L Laramie Fully Deleted,Ananchy EFI Live(CSP5) and TCM Tune,5" MBRP,Edge CTS,Carli (BJ,TB,CA,SB and Tune Fox Shocks),FS Airbags,AFE Trans/Diff covers,S&B CAI w/Scoop,Fass 150,Beans Sump,Fleece CBP,ARP 425,Bosch 65hp,Amsoil OBP,AMP Research,Redhead Box,GDP Pro WG,Banks IC/AH,Tater 63/67,BD Exh Man,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I tried again using the procedure cummins_6.7 posted on this forum. Here it is:

"So to start I had a launch scan tool that I could view actual and commanded vgt % so when you turn the key to on do not start the actuator will move the direction doesn't matter but watch your commanded % it should be like 80 or something close to that but then when you turn the key off the gear should spin again if it doesn't repeat key on key off till you can see it move when the key turns on and when the key turns off so once you've got the actuator where I've described then put the actuator arm on the turbo in the pinned position there a hole in the arm that will fit into a hole in the housing of the turbo use an 1/8" drill bit is what I can remember once the arm is set to the "pinned position" remove the drill bit and mount the actuator to the turbo and tighten. get back in the truck with your scanner and turn the key to on do not star and look at your commanded and actual vgt% they should match with-in like 5% if they do start the engine for a short second because you won't have coolant in it yet and turn the exhaust brake on to make sure it works and sounds right also make sure your actual and commanded % match if they do then shut it off fill with coolant then test drive and watch your %'s to make sure it's right that's how I've done it might work for you might not but I've done it twice now so...."

Everything seemed ok at first. My exhaust brake seemed to come on with the switch. You could hear the engine change tone and my VGT position went from 82% to 94%. I took it for a test drive with the Launch scanner hooked up and monitoring rpm, boost pressure, commanded VGT position, and actual VGT position. The actual and commanded VGT positions matched throughout the rpm range, but my boost numbers were way off, as I found out. Boost at idle was 12 psi and 31 psi at 3000 rpm. The check engine light came back on.

I sent my Launch scanner back to Amazon and have ordered an Autel MS906BT scanner. The Amazon seller(Autel) assured me that it will do the prealign and calibration on my '08 6.7. I will get back to you guys when I find out.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
You could always just build your own calibration tool.
I'm not quite sure that it will worth it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Here's an update guys:

The Launch X-431 V scanner won't do a turbo actuator prealign or calibration on an '08 cummins. I ended up sending it back and I bought an Autel MS906BT. It worked and was able to do the prealign and calibration. Hope that helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode