Hazing and slight misfire - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy Hazing and slight misfire - Which Injectors should I go with? BBI or Exergy?

Hey, Guys!

So my truck started Hazing on a vacation trip up in Montana back in July. Had me really worried because I still had to tow the 10K Camper back to Utah. It hazed the most when it was cold then would be fine after you got it warmed up, but felt down on power. Rail pressure was normal, Idle was fine, Truck acted like there was nothing wrong but hazed.
Hooked the trailer back up to go home, still hazing, pulled fine though. Once we got back to Utah and I switched the tune back to '4' (IIRC is a 100+HP Tune) it stopped hazing at all! So I chalked it up to be a tuning issue that I procrastinated to take to my tuner (Starlite Diesel) while I caught back up at work. Then, it started hazing again and this time it's missing. Sounded like the AC kicking on or something (I already wrote a thread on this.... This post has been a long time coming.) but the AC and all of the HVAC controls are off. (Checked the Compressor clutch to make sure.) Rail Pressure is still normal except when I hear the Miss and it drops. It will go from 5.1KPSI to 4.2KPSI then Spike to 5.9KPSI then go back to it's normal 5.0 - 5.4KPSI. But it still drives normally and only misses at Idle.

So as a test, I took it on the freeway and laid into it to see if it did anything differently... I noticed a lot more black smoke pre-boost and didn't clean up until about 2800RPM and 24-28 PSI Boost and still had more black smoke longer. I played around with the tunes a bit and noticed more smoke on all tunes. 1-5 on the CSP5 switch. I also notice; at WOT, Rail pressure won't go above 22KPSI. My first thought was a weak FPRV, but that wouldn't solve my hazing issue. Thus - I have a leaky injector... No blow-by at all.

One other thing that I've noticed... It stops hazing almost completely if I run some Power Service Fuell additive, but once that tank is gone, it starts back up again. Since I don't want a band-aid to be a permanent fix, I've parked the truck to avoid any chance of washing out a cylinder. Also - the radiator cracked last week end while towing my project truck to a buddy's place for safe keeping.... Nothing bad. Just enough to not notice it while towing but notice a drip as soon as I got home.

Now that I've laid out my long-winded story... BBI Vs. Exergy?

I've heard nothing but good about both companies but I'm on a tight, TIGHT budget and will have to save up for injectors either way. I WANT to go with bigger injectors, but my wallet won't allow for bigger injectors and the funds for a turbo that will make it worth it. So I'm going to have to go with stock flow rate. I want to get injectors that will take the abuse that my current ones have, as they are the original factory injectors that came with the truck in late 2007. They have 250K on them now. The truck has been deleted since 130K miles and driven HARD the whole time. I know both previous owners who verified this.

First owner is a foreman for a cement company that used it to haul cement, tools, crew, water, asphalt, equipment, ETC... and floored it every where. (his words, not mine.) Second owner is a barrel racer/horse rancher who bought it, deleted it immediately, and used it to haul his horse trailer and tractors around for events and what-not. He stated that he blew 2 head gaskets and 3 turbos and said that he was "not nice to that truck." He got rid of it because he was worried about the injectors being next. Then I bought it with 180K miles on it at auction and used it to haul hay and did some hot-shotting with it for 2 or 3 years before I finished school. Then I blew a head gasket in a pi$$ing match with a BMW on the freeway... (PSA - stock head bolts don't like 4300 RPM) I have a thread on that also.

The point to this story is this:
I need to get injectors that will take everything that I regularly throw at this truck. I don't pull heavy anymore but still daily it and, Admittedly, drive it like I can afford to fix it. I can't, but I still do. Pay to play, right?

Thanks in advance, all!

2007.5 DODGE RAM 3500 QCDRW - 6.7L CUMMINS FULL DELETE - H&S INTAKE HORN - AFE AIR INTAKE - ARP HEAD STUDS - EFI LIVE BY STARLITE DIESEL - FASS TITANIUM - BEANS DIESEL SUMP - STRAIGHT PIPED - G56 6 SPEED TRANS

Last edited by Fanman43; 09-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Bump.....?

2007.5 DODGE RAM 3500 QCDRW - 6.7L CUMMINS FULL DELETE - H&S INTAKE HORN - AFE AIR INTAKE - ARP HEAD STUDS - EFI LIVE BY STARLITE DIESEL - FASS TITANIUM - BEANS DIESEL SUMP - STRAIGHT PIPED - G56 6 SPEED TRANS
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Double Bump?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like you already have your answer, stock injectors lasted this long, go with a set of reman stock Bosch sticks and be done. I'm sure that there are vendors on CF that would be able to help you with a purchase.

2017 GMC 2500 6.0
SOLD - 2008 3500SRWCCLB 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 w/South Bend DD
Riding the "Struggle Bus"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

So the time has finally come that I have the money to do the injectors finally. I decided to start pulling them the other day and the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge... Add that to the list of things this truck needs. So I was forced to pull them where the truck sits, in the freezing rain. Hard to tell, but it was snowing in the first picture.
They all basically looked like the one I took a picture off. They were all wet and look covered in soot and debris. I decided to have them flow tested and cleaned before I actually pull the trigger on new injectors. If I can get away with just replacing the nozzles, it will be a miracle! I'll be taking them up to Baker's Diesel to have them tested.

New radiator, Front drive shaft, and batteries to come!

Fingers Crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200102_114203.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	864405   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200102_135138.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	864407   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200102_133910.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	864409  
Babin Farms likes this.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanman43 View Post
So the time has finally come that I have the money to do the injectors finally. I decided to start pulling them the other day and the batteries were dead and wouldn't take a charge... Add that to the list of things this truck needs. So I was forced to pull them where the truck sits, in the freezing rain. Hard to tell, but it was snowing in the first picture.
They all basically looked like the one I took a picture off. They were all wet and look covered in soot and debris. I decided to have them flow tested and cleaned before I actually pull the trigger on new injectors. If I can get away with just replacing the nozzles, it will be a miracle! I'll be taking them up to Baker's Diesel to have them tested.

New radiator, Front drive shaft, and batteries to come!

Fingers Crossed!
For stock power a set of Bosch will do the trick. A lot of our customers like the BBI tow series as well as they can provide a bit more fuel if needed for slight power bump. Keep in mind +\- 2% is an acceptable flow rate, if there is any more variance than that it’s no good. If some don’t test well I would recommend replacing them all while you have them pulled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance by PM/Email/Phone.

Keep us posted!

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to TexNeck For This Useful Post:
Fanman43 (01-05-2020)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
For stock power a set of Bosch will do the trick. A lot of our customers like the BBI tow series as well as they can provide a bit more fuel if needed for slight power bump. Keep in mind +\- 2% is an acceptable flow rate, if there is any more variance than that itís no good. If some donít test well I would recommend replacing them all while you have them pulled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance by PM/Email/Phone.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the reply!

Will the "Tow Series" Have any effect on EGT's with the stock Turbo?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 PM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanman43 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
For stock power a set of Bosch will do the trick. A lot of our customers like the BBI tow series as well as they can provide a bit more fuel if needed for slight power bump. Keep in mind +\- 2% is an acceptable flow rate, if there is any more variance than that it’s no good. If some don’t test well I would recommend replacing them all while you have them pulled. Let me know if I can be of any assistance by PM/Email/Phone.

Keep us posted!
Thank you for the reply!

Will the "Tow Series" Have any effect on EGT's with the stock Turbo?
They will not- they will command the same amount of fuel you are currently supplying/demanding from ECM but if you have tuning changes down the road there would be an opportunity to add more fuel for more power. Even with adding more fuel a good tuner will not raise egts much during normal driving

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2020, 05:02 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,274 Posts
Forget the testing, waste of money. Forget changing the nozzles, that is way more complicated and involved than you think. forget remans unless you want to fight with problems, HG's, and a motor rebuild.

Either get a set of NEW Bosch injectors available for good prices many places, or BBI remans. If you are not looking for specific needs stock 6.7 injectors and a tune will make a large difference in performance.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

So the flow test came back as 100% failure rate. Every injector was returning high. Some as high as 126 Nutan Meters of fuel (How ever that is measured.) So I need new injectors. The shop that I'm working with is giving me a deal on brand new injectors from Bosche with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty at cost for $400 each. I think I'm going to take that Deal. I really wanted the BBI injectors, but there's quite a price difference there.
New Radiator is on it's way and as soon as it's up and running, I'll be taking it to the Driveline shop to have the Front Drive shaft rebuilt.
Thanks to all involved!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

New injectors are in!! Fired up first try! BUT.... It's still hazing a bit and now it seems to have a puff of smoke at the end of every bump in throttle. Color me confused.
Maybe turbo seal....? I could use some advise on this one guys.
https://youtu.be/Zr7MzIHivas

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Any ideas? I checked the turbo and everything is dry and it is still building boost like normal. In fact, I blew a boot on a test drive. (only 25PSI and I just didn't push the boot all the way onto the intercooler after pulling the radiator.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode