68RFE 4th gear limp issue - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
68RFE 4th gear limp issue

New to the forum so please bear with me. Did anyone ever figure out the issue with the transmission going into limp, mode 4th gear? My truck was hit on April 1st, when I got it back in late June less than 48 hours started having this issue. Had a reman tranny in it so I took it to the shop that installed it. They replaced the solenoid and 65 miles later it does it again. They then replaced the power wire from TCM to trans and same issue. Installed 2 more solenoids, replace the TCM and still happening. Put another reman tranny in and another TCM and you guessed it, same issue. It seems to go 60-70 miles after sitting for a few days. I read in another thread that had same issue but thread was closed, when the truck is down shifting 6-5 then kinda jerks and goes into 4th. I put a new TIPM in it this morning and after several runs and 70 miles it threw the same P0770 code. So to recap we have replaced the power wire from TCM to trans, 3 solenoids, 2 TCM's, 2nd trans and a TIPM. I stopped shut the truck off counted to 10 and restarted and it was fine for a little bit. I'm getting no engine lights, pulling the codes from the Mini Maxx. It's not any of the listed replacements, we even left the Mini Maxx unplugged to confirm it was not it causing the issue. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
When you had the trans replaced did they also replace the valve body and torque converter? That code shows as ďlockup clutch solenoid leakĒ and a lot of the stuff Iím finding searching the code suggests itís either the valve body or the torque converter.

Do you have any way of monitoring trans temps when this happens? If itís only doing it when the trans warms up (thin fluid leaks easier) Iím inclined to believe itís a valve body issue - or your filters arenít seated properly and theyíre bleeding pressure. If itís doing this at any/all trans temps Iím inclined to believe itís a torque converter issue.

Howís the fluid? Smell burned? Look discolored at all? Search thru transengineerís posts and I know heís posted instructions on how to air-check the clutch packs to make sure theyíre working properly.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Pozzinator For This Useful Post:
mrfwright71 (08-24-2019)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

The trans temp was about 158. Like I had said, 2 transmission doing the same thing, we replaced the TCM on the 1st trans that had less than 8k miles. When we put the 2nd trans in it did the same thing so we put another TCM in. I has to be something electrical or electronic. Fluid is clean, not burnt, discolored, nothing. It was sent to an auto electric shop who said it was the trans so we put the second trans in. Trans shop is at a loss, insurance company has now totaled the truck but I'm keeping it, I'm just trying to exhaust all options before sending it to another shop. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Did you answer the valve body question? Was it replaced or just moved to the new trans?

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Also the code on my Mini Maxx is saying P0770 Shift Solenoid E. It's been the same code from the start. We have been banging our heads since Late June. I am a pretty mechanical person and this is making my head spin. All of the mechanics at the trans shop, the shop owner, the nationwide network he is a member of, my mechanic friends are all scratching our heads.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

The trans was remanufactured last Sept, all new parts $3500. The 2nd trans was a full reman as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Some of them donít come complete with a new valve body and torque converter, which is why Iím asking. Sometimes the remans are just the trans and the shop reinstalls the old valve body, torque converter, and pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
68RFE 4th gear limp issue

Yea ďall new partsĒ typically means just the stuff on the drive line not the VB. The VB is not typically a wear item that gets replaced unless itís failing.

Parts of it new, yes, entire VB, typically not. Also 3500$ is pretty cheap, likely did not include a new VB. In the bright side, you can do the VB yourself without dropping the trans out

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the input. The owner of the transmission shop is a neighbor and good friend of mine, that's why the low price. Anyway I really don't think it's the VB because it's done this first thing in the AM 3 blocks away from home, trans temp was about 87. It does this when I'm slowing down only. The other morning I only made it to 3rd gear when it happened. So temp is not the cause, transmission shop puts a new TC with every trans job, 2 trans was a different company build with complete build sheet and TC. I have mechanical and electronics background, been chasing wires, had my hands and body in places they should not fit.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 PM
Cummins Fanatic

If the truck was hit, there could be a bad ground between the trans, the cab or the body and cab. The batteries could also have a bad cell. Truck will start and run fine but you will get really weird stuff happening with a dodge.
I understand a friend did the work and nothing should be going wrong, but stuff does happen. Did you do a relearn on the trans after replacement and clear everything with a scan tool?
And as said before, make sure the valve body was replaced and it was checked for being flat. If it is tweaked you can have a cross leak.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

2013 RAM 2500 diesel 6.7 Bighorn Crew Shortbed 4x4 in white. As of 7/21/16 16,100 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode