God awful highway vibration - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
God awful highway vibration

so I've been chasing this god awful highway vibration for the last two years, I've tried everything. I can feel it in the floor and in the seat, the passenger seat shakes like a vibrator when going on the highway. doesn't matter if I put it in neutral going 55+ it still shakes until I go below 50mph, I've jacked up the rear and ran it and it still vibrates.

here is the list of things I've done to it: New tires and wheels (had one bent wheel) rebalanced about a dozen times. new ball joints, new steering stabilizer shock, new axle shaft ujoints, new brakes and rotors all 4 corners.new shocks, Rebalanced/rebuilt rear one piece aluminum driveshaft. I'm at a loss with this thing. any help would be great!

09 cclb,68rfe 4x4. 4'' turbo back,Fully deleted, S&B cold air intake. EFI live CSP5
SOLD 96 4x4 cummins. 4'' mbrp straight pipe. afe stage 2 cold air intake. Industrial injection fire ring kit. 60lb valve springs, #8 fuel plate. nv4500. lookin to get 350-400 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

and I've also took off the front DS and ran it, its still vibrates.

09 cclb,68rfe 4x4. 4'' turbo back,Fully deleted, S&B cold air intake. EFI live CSP5
SOLD 96 4x4 cummins. 4'' mbrp straight pipe. afe stage 2 cold air intake. Industrial injection fire ring kit. 60lb valve springs, #8 fuel plate. nv4500. lookin to get 350-400 hp
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:03 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,074 Posts
If the vibration is "harmonic" like a massage tool then its driveline related or engine related. If the vibration is wobbly and shaky then its tire, rim, or brake related. So know which type of vibration will help understand what to look for.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
If the vibration is "harmonic" like a massage tool then its driveline related or engine related. If the vibration is wobbly and shaky then its tire, rim, or brake related. So know which type of vibration will help understand what to look for.
its more of a wobbly shimmy I guess you could say.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Have you replaced the track bar?

2009 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 SLT Lone Star, Patriot Blue. H&S XRT Pro 120hp tune with OD tuning. Full delete, Mega Canon, waiting on the EGR.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,386 Times in 2,463 Posts
Just curious what tires did you have and what did you replace them with? And what size? Some times hard hard to balance and some are just junk and need replaced even though they are new. I've had a few that shook from day one.

Have you rotated your tires? Does the vibe go from floor/seat to steering wheel?

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,074 Posts
Then its not driveline related...

You said you have new tires, so was the vibration exactly the same or did it change at all? Meaning, did the vibration change at certain speeds or feel any different or was it no different with old tires vs new tires? My first reaction was to blame it on bad tires but new tires should have solved whatever that could have been. But...if the tires are low quality and/or the tire shop has equipment which isnt calibrated right, or the techs are just lame at their job, then it could still be tires even though they're new.
One rule of thumb for tires is when they roll on the balancer there should be little to no movement. I wont take a tire that has a 1/4" of tread movement. Then if the tire has more than 1 oz of weight per side, that would indicate a problem. Either tire is not round of something else is wrong. I've seen shops put 3 oz on one side of a tire and call it good. Thats bad...
walterjn likes this.

'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, RV275's, 4" w/o muffler, South Bend, Steering brace, aFe, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, FP, and EGT on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh2007 View Post
Have you replaced the track bar?
No, I don’t think that’s the problem. I’ve checked it and everything is tight. I had someone move the steering wheel and I got underneath it. Nothing is loose

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
Just curious what tires did you have and what did you replace them with? And what size? Some times hard hard to balance and some are just junk and need replaced even though they are new. I've had a few that shook from day one.

Have you rotated your tires? Does the vibe go from floor/seat to steering wheel?
315/70/17s falken at3s and yeah rotated every time time I got it rebalanced and vibration is always in the seat and floor. Nothin in the steering wheel

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Then its not driveline related...

You said you have new tires, so was the vibration exactly the same or did it change at all? Meaning, did the vibration change at certain speeds or feel any different or was it no different with old tires vs new tires? My first reaction was to blame it on bad tires but new tires should have solved whatever that could have been. But...if the tires are low quality and/or the tire shop has equipment which isnt calibrated right, or the techs are just lame at their job, then it could still be tires even though they're new.
One rule of thumb for tires is when they roll on the balancer there should be little to no movement. I wont take a tire that has a 1/4" of tread movement. Then if the tire has more than 1 oz of weight per side, that would indicate a problem. Either tire is not round of something else is wrong. I've seen shops put 3 oz on one side of a tire and call it good. Thats bad...
Had the same exact problem with the previous set of tires (Toyo ats) I’ve had three different shops inspect and balance them two of which I watched them do it and none of the tires were that far off. I can’t remember off the top of my head how much they put on.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Cummins Nut

When I had General Grabber ATII, my truck vibrated too. I had to road force balance to help identify the bad tire. Fought this for 2 years bc this eventually happened with all 4 tires (which General would only prorate as they went out-of-round individually...not the set). The 5th time I sold the haineous tires and bought Toyo due to the reviews here. I've never looked back.
I've had 3 sets of Toyo ATII and current Xtreme's and they balance great and thankfully no vibrations.
I would recommend having them road force balance to see if they are out of round. I cant remember what General said was the magic prorate weight number but I had to have roadforce first to confirm the tire took too much weight.
Anyway, Best of luck and keep us posted.

2008 Ram 2500 SLT Big Horn CTD. Bright Silver 4x4 QCSB. Power Wagon Front Coils; FOX 2.0; Thuren swaybar and Sulastic shackles. Moto Metal 970 w/ Toyo AT2 X(285/65/18) and XRF ball joints. Mopar upgraded steering linkage, gearbox and Thuren adj track bar.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Then if the tire has more than 1 oz of weight per side, that would indicate a problem. Either tire is not round of something else is wrong. I've seen shops put 3 oz on one side of a tire and call it good. Thats bad...
I have put five and more ounces of weight on one side and called it good. Because it was.
The amount of weight required is a really poor way to judge how well a tire will run down the road.

Actually, I'm still surprised how often the tire with the most weights has the lowest road force.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '17 2500 in the household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode