White Smoke under hood / Diesel Smell in Cab - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wow lots of good information s10010001. Thank you! I've decided to leave the EGR system in place for now, and just try replacing all the gaskets with the EGR cleaning kit from Geno's, along with the CCV filter.

I've since gone to the beach and back. Truck ran like a champ. No problems at all, except a crank that lasted 1/2 sec longer when filling up with diesel at the gas station. It did that one more time at the store nearby, and has been fine since. Zero exhaust smell on the way to the beach and back, except when the truck was getting to temp in the morning and at a stop light.

I hauled a truck load of bricks yesterday, and noticed the exhaust smell was considerably worse. It seems the leak is worse when I'm working the engine. This kind of supports a leaky gasket problem. After I dropped the load of bricks off, the exhaust smell went away.

The "high point vent coolant riser" looks like the black pipe sticking out, with the nut/bolt on top of it, right? That is right in front of the EGR bypass valve.

Edit: On Thursday morning, when we were driving to Cape Meares lighthouse, a wisp of white smoke came out the driver side of the hood, near the batteries. At the same time, a strong exhaust smell entered the cab, even with the fans off. This was when the engine was getting to temp and when I was turning the truck around from a "road closed" sign. The white smoke/smell typically never happens when the truck is in motion (faster than 10-20mph).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Yea totally sounds like a gasket to me, Iíd at pull and inspect. The egr system changes when and how much exhaust gasses itís moving thru the intake. Iím not really sure the logic on it, but that would like up with the randomness of the smoke.

Best of luck doing your first egr service, itís fun the first go around, but itís fairly simple once you do it once. I can have mine off and back on in under an hour now if I need to.

Plan on loosing some coolant. On level ground I lost about half a gallon. Make sure to vent it good when done, you need all the air out of the egr cooler

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I've ordered the EGR cleaning kit from Geno's garage. Can't wait to get started when the weather is nice and warm, probably in week or two.

The one concerning thing to me though is, when my wife was driving the truck to drop off the kids this past Tuesday, the "wisp" of white smoke became a billowing cloud of white smoke, all emanating from the entire length of the driver's side of the hood. At the same time, the awful exhaust smell entered the cab. The EGR bypass valve as you know, is on the passenger side of the engine bay. My wife said zero smoke on passenger side. She said as soon she pressed the throttle pedal, the smoke disappeared. I've never see any smoke from the passenger side as well.

It's possible that the shop misidentified the source of the leak as coming from the EGR bypass valve when they actually meant the EGR valve, which is on the driver's side of the engine bay.

The invoice from the shop clearly identifies the leaking part: EGR Cooler by-pass valve.

Weird though. The white smoke is on the driver's side of the hood. The EGR cooler by-pass valve is all the way over on the passenger side.

Either way, new gaskets and a new CCV filter will be going on soon enough.
s10010001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Diesel Head

Could just be the direction the air was moving or the smoke was pushing...

Either way, you need the service done so thatís good, and it sounds like it should fix the issue. Hopefully you donít need to track down a new valve

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Well I started the EGR service yesterday. The EGR valve is disassembled and in its purple power bath right now, and has been in it since yesterday.

I do think I found the source of the smell/white smoke problem and it likely has nothing to do with the EGR system. When I took the batwing shroud off, I noticed that the oil was high on the dipstick. I re-checked 2 more times. The oil is a full 2 1/2 - 3" onto the cable part of the dipstick. Way, way, way above the plastic end that has the "safe" zone on it.

The oil also smells exactly like what I've been smelling in the cab. Not "about the same". It's exactly the same smell, period.

The lady I bought the truck from (her husband owned the truck, and he died a month before I bought the truck) said she took it to have the oil changed before she put it up for sale. The carfax shows this too- she took it to a place called Fast Lane oil change in the first week of February.

So I see the problem now. Fast Lane oil change likely did not let it drain for at least 30 minutes so it's likely 2-3 quarts overfull. I'm going to finish up the EGR valve and the EGR cooler, then do an oil change/new oil filter. After I do the oil change, I'll put the new CCV filter in. I'm pretty confident this will address the smell/white smoke problem.

The EGR valve didn't look that dirty. Soot was in it yeah, but it was not awful. It looked to me that it had been serviced at the 67,500 mark. Nonetheless, I just worked the valve inside the EGR valve, and it moves freely now, much more so than before the purple power bath. It's still in it now. The gaskets when I took them off, looked pretty good too- not what I would expect from originals that had been on there for the entire life of the vehicle. Clearly I won't be reusing those cause they were ripped in half when I took the EGR valve off. New ones from Geno's EGR kit will be going on.

Update: I called Fast Lane and they said they used 15/40W Chevron Delos. They said they have never had to let Diesels sit for 30+ min to drain- said they have 15 years of experience to back this etc etc. Anyway, I'll be switching to Rotella T6 5/40, and doing the change myself.
s10010001 likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Diesel Head

Nice work man, sounds like your on the right path to establishing a solid baseline for your trucks maintenance. Sounds like sheís gonna be a reliable rig. Thanks for following up!

I use t6 5w40 as well, no problems here, but I donít plan on ding ďextendedĒ change intervals, Iíll just do it every 7500.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 PM

I'm not sure on these Cummins, I have a 2008 cummins as well as an 2011 powerstroke ,but some of the power strokes dump extra fuel in the cylinders to burn out the dpf during regeneration and it ends up in the oil. I thought I've heard of some Cummins doing this too but could be wrong. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more. But I'm thinking you should dump thar oil immediately and refill with new. As for the white smoke thing, I had similar thing last year on the Cummins and it was a hairline cracked exhaust manifold, ordered a new BD aftermarket 2 piece from genos and it's been great. Just a thought.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 PM
On call 24/7

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,075 Posts
iTrader Score: 16 reviews
I agree, I would watch the oil closely and make sure your not filling the crank case with diesel.

1998 12v, 4x4, Club Cab, Carli, Thuren, BlueTop, Core 4x4, BD Diesel
2012 Laramie Longhorn, EFI by Ryan, Carli, Thuren
1995 Dually, Weston's 5x.016, 4k GSK, 5" FloPro, 255/85r16 Toyo M/T, Goerend, ARP, 60# Springs, BW 62/65/14, BW 75/96/1.10, Isspro, Fass 125, BDP Sump, 7mm DV's, 751 HP 1883 FP Torque on NOS
1998 P-Pumped 24v, 4x4, NV4500 swap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode