Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-powertrain/)
-   -   Exahust pressure code help!! (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-powertrain/2497049-exahust-pressure-code-help.html)

Jusber15 03-30-2019 03:07 PM

Exahust pressure code help!!
 
Hello Friends!

My 2008, 6.7 fully deleted running a Smarty tune started throwing P0471 and P0472 exhaust pressure codes. When I purchased the truck about two years ago, the previous owner had the exhaust pressure tube removed and plugged. I asked him why and he told me that the smarty tuner doesn't use the pressure sensor and it was part of the deleting process. The truck would throw an exhaust pressure code (sorry, I don't recall which one) only when running at highway speeds for a while, then it would disappear during normal off highway driving. Well, this didn't sit well with me, so i ordered a new exhaust pressure tube, cleaned the sensor holes and hooked it all back up. I was trouble free for a while until the exhaust code was coming back on every now and again. Now its gotten worse. Now if I clear the codes, they are back on before I leave the garage. I pulled the sensor and made sure all was clean and clear.

The truck still seems to run just fine, however I have noticed quite the decrease in mileage. On a 1500 mile trip, the light was on and my lie-o-meter of a mileage gauge was sitting right at about 12. On the way home I stopped, cleared the codes (and changed my tune level just to see) and while the light was off, it steadily climbed up to nearly 20. I stopped for dinner and afterwards the light came back on and the mileage meter slowly fell back to about 12.

Does the Smarty tuner really bypass the sensor?
What do you suggest is my next move?

I really appreciate you help!

s10010001 03-30-2019 03:12 PM

Exahust pressure code help!!
 
The mpg loss kinda make it sound like itís trying to re-gen the dpf thatís not there.

Do you have the smarty jr? I would update it to the latest L or K ME tune and reflash the truck.

When I deleted I just left the pressure sensor open, I didnít seal the tubes or anything.


Edit: yes the smarty, with a ME (delete) tune loaded will disable the dpf sensors, turn off regen, and let you unplug 2/3 egr sensors effectively disabling it.

Jusber15 03-30-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s10010001 (Post 28942075)
The mpg loss kinda make it sound like itís trying to re-gen the dpf thatís not there.

Do you have the smarty jr? I would update it to the latest L or K ME tune and reflash the truck.

When I deleted I just left the pressure sensor open, I didnít seal the tubes or anything.


Edit: yes the smarty, with a ME (delete) tune loaded will disable the dpf sensors, turn off regen, and let you unplug 2/3 egr sensors effectively disabling it.


I have the Smarty S67 running V:6.18A D:P23ME

If the ME files remove the usage of the sensor, then how and why am I still getting codes?

s10010001 03-30-2019 10:41 PM

Exahust pressure code help!!
 
Idk, but I have read about multiple cases where reflashing resolves random delete issue. Itís worth a shot and itís free. Kinda like rebooting a windows computer hehe.


I would also load up the latest tune for your sr, I think 23 is pretty old, well there all old, but still

Get em here: https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/0...lick-here.html

xcc_rider 03-31-2019 07:38 PM

The Smarty delete (me) tunes do not disable either the exhaust pressure sensor or the dpf pressure sensor.

I think theres some confusion as to which sensor you're talking about.

P0471 & P0472 are codes for the exhaust pressure sensor located at the thermostat housing.

The ecm uses that input to control the vgt. While the codes are active the ecm will use a calculated value for control and will result in decreased fuel mileage among other things.

P0472 is strictly an electrical, wiring, short and contact issue.
P0471 is either mechanical or electrical in origin.

General consensus is to follow the code diagnostics for P0473, then the P0472 diagnostic and then if the issue isn't resolved the diagnostic for P0471.

Let us know if you need the diagnostics for the codes and someone will point you in the right direction.

the man in black 03-31-2019 08:27 PM

Be a good idea to check the tube to be sure it didn't clog up on you. Like said above that sensor controls the vein positioning while driving and for the exhaust brake function. Neither will work properly with out the sensor.
S1 you may want to consider putting the tube and senior back in place as well. To be clear, I am talking about the tube going from the exhaust manifold to the sensor located near the t-stat.

s10010001 03-31-2019 08:55 PM

Exahust pressure code help!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the man in black (Post 28943199)
Be a good idea to check the tube to be sure it didn't clog up on you. Like said above that sensor controls the vein positioning while driving and for the exhaust brake function. Neither will work properly with out the sensor.
S1 you may want to consider putting the tube and senior back in place as well. To be clear, I am talking about the tube going from the exhaust manifold to the sensor located near the t-stat.



Ohh I thought that code was for the DPF pressure sensors. No? Makes more sense thatís itís the exhaust pressure sensor.

My bad, I was totally wrong, as usual haha.

Found a video on that pressure sensor fix
https://youtu.be/tgQ4_awy4w0

the man in black 03-31-2019 09:44 PM

I cant remember the code for the dpf pressure codes but I thought they read differential pressure in their description. The sensor by the t stat is exhaust back pressure.

Jusber15 04-01-2019 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcc_rider (Post 28943133)
The Smarty delete (me) tunes do not disable either the exhaust pressure sensor or the dpf pressure sensor.

I think theres some confusion as to which sensor you're talking about.

P0471 & P0472 are codes for the exhaust pressure sensor located at the thermostat housing.

The ecm uses that input to control the vgt. While the codes are active the ecm will use a calculated value for control and will result in decreased fuel mileage among other things.

P0472 is strictly an electrical, wiring, short and contact issue.
P0471 is either mechanical or electrical in origin.

General consensus is to follow the code diagnostics for P0473, then the P0472 diagnostic and then if the issue isn't resolved the diagnostic for P0471.

Let us know if you need the diagnostics for the codes and someone will point you in the right direction.


If you could throw the diagnostics for those codes my way, that would be awesome. At least it will give me a starting point.

xcc_rider 04-01-2019 06:08 PM

I can throw more than that your way.

http://carbonitecummins.com/articles.html

Message the site owner and say thx after you download the manual

Jusber15 04-03-2019 05:35 PM

Here's the latest info. I updated my smarty to the "newest" tune file, S67V619J_DRM01M. Turned my ECM back to stock and then reloaded with the new tune. So far, I have put about 60 miles on it and no check engine light. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it stays that way! Thank you all for your help! Cheers!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome