Bd 68rfe - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bd 68rfe

Have been putting it off for as long as I can, but finally had to pull the the trigger on a new trans after having some issues with the TC. I probably could have gotten away with just replacing the TC and maybe the pump, but at 120k miles I felt it'd only be a matter of time before the rest of the parts gave up. Since I've been so impressed with the BD Screamer VGT, I went ahead and ordered up one of their 68RFE transmissions with billet input, flexplate and torque converter. All in theory, it should arrive at the shop next week and hopefully can be installed soon after that. Definitely looking forward to actually being able to use some power, especially since I've been driving this turd around on stock power since the TC started acting up.

R Bros Rifles
2014 3500 HO Aisin SRW Mega........stock for now
2018 3500 SRW Mega........stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 01:33 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
37s? Ouch! Gearing? Are you using the boost reference controller for LP or
Commanding extra with your Mini Setup. I tossed my box and let MCC take full control. Night and day difference.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Stock 3.73 gears. I'll likely start by using the BD controller, but may play around with the Mini Maxx as well if I don't like how the BD box acts. The plan is to go back to a 3" lift/level and 35s to accommodate a 5th wheel.

R Bros Rifles
The Following User Says Thank You to RBros_JLR For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (11-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Finally get to pick up the truck with the new trans today. I remember now why I usually do mechanical repairs myself, as it's way easier to work around my own schedule than to try to fit into someone else's. Had to wait nearly a month to get this installed via an "approved" installer. All I can hope for is that the install went good and life will be back to normal soon. It's been really rough driving the truck around on stock power and being extra gentle at that!

R Bros Rifles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Picked up the truck last week and have put about 600 miles on it now of mixed city, mountains, and highway. Using the Mini-Maxx to change shift points, but left all other trans settings stock so the BD pressure box can control pressure. So far so good, shifts are quick/firm, and not having driven a performance 68rfe before, I didn't really know what to expect. One interesting thing is that when the TC locks up in 4th gear under light throttle it actually feels like another gear (you definitely notice it). Moderate to hard acceleration actually seems to smooth out the shifts oddly enough, so maybe it just likes to be driven more aggressively

All in all, can't say I have anything bad to say about this thing. Just like the other BD product I have, it just works like it's supposed to.

R Bros Rifles
N of 60 (12-24-2018)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Update on this after finally getting to tow something......

Took the toyhauler for a road trip this weekend up and down some good hills and in some heavy headwinds. Fuel mileage suffered greatly, but the transmission seemed to work really well! Temps on the highway were 140-150, 190 on the slow 1st/2nd gear gravel roads due to having to drive up a steep 3 miles or so really slowly. Granted the outside temps were only about 50 degrees, but all seems well so far.

R Bros Rifles
N of 60 (04-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode