Revmax TCM with Stock Trans - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By El Pozzinator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Revmax TCM with Stock Trans

Has anyone used the Revmax tcm tuning with a completely stock trans. I talked to revmax themselves and they advised me to purchase their valve body which I would love to do but just don’t have the boot to do it right now. So I’m wanting to get their tcm now and then later down the road get their valve body. Will I cause damage to my trans running their tcm tuning on my stock valve body. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
yep. running that now. not entirely "no issues" but the problems coming up are a result of my transmission having almost 170k ok it and having NEVER been serviced. pretty sure the TCM tune is the only thing keeping my transmission from eating itself alive right now.

here's the swap notes thread i did a little bit ago.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/0...wap-notes.html

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
I ran their tune via my BlackMaxx for 100,000 miles before my stock trans detonated.

2009 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW
FASS150, BD Intake Elbow, ARP 425 Studs, Timbrens, Turbo back delete, Black Maxx w/OD, Flo-Pro, Attitude 63 Turbo, RevMax 550 Trans, Aux Trans Cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Revmax TCM with Stock Trans

Just ran across this thread again while searching VB stuff. Update to my experience:

I’m still running a revmax TCM on a bone stock OEM and UNSERVICED (as in, 11-year-old fluid) trans knocking on 180k now (haven’t done any road tripping or towing due to the trans being hurt). It’s gotten to the point where at >30% throttle, >15% load, or >130* trans fluid temp, 6th won’t hold. Engages and immediately goes into logical limp mode (1st and 4th, no TCC lockup). Holds fine though if all those parameters are under those levels though. This leads me to believe my valve body and/or line pressure sensor has finally completely given up the ghost and may have been (probably was) the issue from the beginning. I swapped my factory TCM back in just for funsies and even doing the “take it even easier than I already was” CVI reset period, it wouldn’t hold 5th or 6th under any conditions and would throw pressure and rationality errors as soon as it got above 5th (EDIT: sorry, above 4th) despite not feeling like it was slipping. Fluid is still bright red and doesn’t smell burnt. Swapped the revmax TCM back in, cleared the codes, and babied it for 2 more days and it’s back to holding as it was early in the post and with no codes showing unless i give it 6th with >130* pan temp, >30% throttle, or >15% load. Holds 5th just fine though for normal gentle driving up to at least 65mph.

I’ll be calling revmax after my tax return hits mid-late this week for a VB and such. Wanna see how far I can push this trans on as little as possible before it absolutely requires a full teardown...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sjgieson likes this.

08 Resistol. Anarchy EFI, 5" TBE, Sinister coolant filter, Carbonite DP sensor, CSS -4" springs, reverse level, CalTracs, Amsoil bypass filter, Revmax VB/TCM, & a madly leaking radiator.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
so i've got a little over 100 miles on the revmax VB. uhrmahgurr. shifts better, firmer, holds gears longer (stiffer springs in the SSVs). lockup isn't any earlier and exhaust brake isn't any more aggressive, but i'm still breaking it in under 30% throttle.

ended up doing the valve body, solenoid pack, pressure transducer, both filters, steel filter thread insert, and a deep pan. took 15 quarts of fluid to get it back up to where it needed to be.

while i'm now hopeful this is going to last me a very long time to come now, if just a valve body and TCM makes the trans feel this good, i almost can't wait to see what a fully built trans is gonna be like.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 PM
Cummins Fan

I have 107k miles on my 68rfe, which is stock and not built. It does not seem to have trouble shifting, but I haven't towed yet with it and won't be until I replace the ball joints and level the truck with a new front-end.

Would a revmax TCM + valve body prolong the life of my transmission, or just make it shift crispier without any added benefit to longevity?

I'm seriously considering setting aside a percentage of my paychecks for the next year so I can buy either a Revmax 850 or a Suncoast transmission next summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode