Delvac 50 + Amsoil Synchromesh Results - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine, Transmission, etc...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Thanks.
The coolers sound good.
I've carried 1800# on my back from new.
I'll downshift to 5th on long steep grades to give the trans a break.
Parts on these trans,especially the G-56 are super high. The G-56 is used worldwide so I don't get why replacement parts are so expensive? If I ever have the trans rebuilt it'll get the 0.74 ratio final drive that the 6.7's and a few late '07 5.9's share.
I'm always reaching for 7th.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wanted to update this thread.

Drained the Amsoil MTG and found out that it was overfilled by about a quart to quart & a half OVER my overfill. So my 7.5 quarts was actually 8.5 to 9 quarts and the oil severely airated and that's why I had such tempature increase because it wasn't lubricating the gears especially under load.

FYI, use the rear drain plug on the bottom to drain the trans NOT the side inspection plate as it leaves about a quart to quart & a half in the transmission.

I did change out the Amsoil MTG with the redline MT90 75w-90 and have been happy so far. The shifts are smother, it still sticks getting it in and out of gear but it's much better than Amsoil MTG ( that's been airated). The redline is a little thin for me but it seems to work, it does warm up under load but it's maxed out about 210*F going up white water with 8k in tow in the power in 6th (over drive) in 85*F ambient (And it did recover back down to 190 in about 10 miles.).

From this experience I'm 99% sure the original Mobil Delvac/ synchromesh mix was over filled with at least a quart of ATF from the original fill since I did that removal through the side inspection plate also BUT that held up much better to the abuse /airration better than anything else and still kept temps much lower.

All in all I think the Mobil Delvac SAE 50 transmission fluid/ Amsoil Synchromesh mixed at 5 quarts Delvac to 3 quarts Synchromesh is the best fluid I've ran so far. I did have shifting issues with it that where getting worse but I'm not sure it it was the fluid , or if it was some interaction with the left over ATF or airation??? This combo had the best protection, the best ability to keep temps way down, and fight airation.

At this point I will be keeping the Redline MT90 75w-90 in the trans as it's working good, it just does not keep the temps as low as the Delvac/Synchromesh combo did, to me this means less protection BUT does go in to and out of gear better than the Delvac/Synchromesh combo, so it'll stay for at least for the next 25k.

On a side note, I kept all of my old oil from all of these changes so if someone has a Blackstone account I'd be very interested in submitting a sample of the Mobil Delvac SAE 50/Amsoil Synchromesh combo for anaylsis including sulphur ( which is an add on to standard VOC test at Blackstone) to see how this mix compares to the other options and see if there are any adverse effects by combining these two?

2009 Ram 2500, bone stock, thuren 3" on the way, TDS g56 overfill cover.

2004.5 2500 parting out
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Get on Blackstone's site and they will ship you a few bottles for nothing.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode