Tune help on 08 6.7 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 6.7L Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Tune help on 08 6.7

Recently, I bought a used 08 Dodge Cummins 6.7 with the EGR/DPF deleted. It's in excellent condition. However, I am not familiar with tuning the Cummins engines as I am used to working with Duramax engines. Anyways, I called a certain company to buy their tuner but they stated I cannot tune an already deleted truck. They said all I can do is purchase their monitoring device for it and that's it. Is this true? I cannot retune a deleted truck someone else has owned?

I am not looking for massive performance gains as this truck will strictly be a pavement queen as I will traveling a lot with it (like 25k+ miles a year). I am just looking for a little performance increase such as increased MPG and power.

I was looking at Superchips Flashpaq 3855 as the tuner if tuning my truck is possible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You can re-tune a truck thats already been deleted and tuned. You simple flash over the top of the existing tune. Ideally you return it to the stock tune before hand but if you can't, well you can't.

The problem is deleting is illegal, so depending on the "certain company" you called, they might not make a delete tuner anymore, only emissions intact, EPA compliant tunes. In that case, no you cannot put a "EPA compliant" tune onto a deleted truck. you need a Delete tune.

Your best bet if you really want a diffrent tune is to buy an EFI live from a well known tuner and use their tune. Anarchy diesel seems to be popular for making clean reliable tunes. Whoever you choose when you contact them to buy they will make you a custom tune for your truck, based on its current state and what you want to use it for. At this point, spending money on anything buy a EFI live is kinda silly, there kinda the best it seems, everything else is old junk. Dont get me wrong, my Smarty Jr ME does just fine, but I only want it to delete and I got it used super cheap, I don't add power... (well, a little when I'm not towing). I might switch a EFI live at some point though.

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Cummins Fanatic

If your truck is deleted I do not think that the Superchips Flashpaq 3855 will work. I think that is a legal tuner so you'd have to have all the emissions stuff on your truck. Did the seller even include the stuff they took off? Pretty crappy if it wasn't included.

Any tuner can overwrite you just need to make sure it's a deleted tune. The older tuners Smarty, H&S, and Edge would overwrite each other with no issues. The stock tune is part of the tuner because it doesn't read and copy it.

Good luck on your search.

2009, 3500, SLT, QC/SB, 6.7l, Auto, 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the truck off a auto dealer in my town for a good deal that I couldn't pass up. They didn't know anything about it so I am taking a chance on it. No, they didn't include any of the deleted stuff from it. So far, the truck is running fine. It just throws a p2453 code every once in awhile eventhough it doesn't have this DPF sensor on it anymore. Weird.

Anyways, I will do some more research on what you all have suggested.

Thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
You can flash a custom tune right over the present tune.
I have a EFI V-2 Tuning module that came off my 08 when I traded in to the Dealer. I also have the stock read and custom CSP-5 tunes from Anarchy Diesel Performance, but they are V.I.N. locked and won't help you there. I was getting ready to list it on here, just haven't listed it yet. It doesn't have the box but comes with 8 credits and all the interface cables along with the CSP-5 Switch for changing tunes from the dash. Asking 700.00 for everything if your interested.

04.5 4x4, 5" Lift on 20"s, Insight, VCM Suite Tune's, 5" exh., T-Ram plate, Banks, Fass, 100 H/P Flux II's, 2nd Gen. S/D T-4 Exh, S-467.7 FMW Turbo, 2nd Gen. Conv., Studs. PPE Dual CP3's.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevokeeman View Post
I have a EFI V-2 Tuning module that came off my 08 when I traded in to the Dealer. I also have the stock read and custom CSP-5 tunes from Anarchy Diesel Performance, but they are V.I.N. locked and won't help you there. I was getting ready to list it on here, just haven't listed it yet. It doesn't have the box but comes with 8 credits and all the interface cables along with the CSP-5 Switch for changing tunes from the dash. Asking 700.00 for everything if your interested.

Honestly I would just pickup a older delete capable tuner, or a low end efi live, reflash and be done. You will not get save more money in MPG Than the cost of the tuner. Anarchy has a base tuner for like $600, comes with 3 tunes.

Refreshing should eliminate that CEL code too and keep it from coming back, that is likely due to a old not so great tune like the early smarty tunes.

The Following User Says Thank You to s10010001 For This Useful Post:
08LaramieRam (04-21-2019)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,657 Times in 2,230 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
You have 8 available VIN licenses for the V2? Is it GM and Cummins capable?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
I may have confused my 04.5 H/P Tuner with my V-2, I think I used 2 credits when I got your custom Tunes. I will have to check and see, as I no longer have the 08 Dodge truck, traded it in on a loaded 2018 Duramax Diesel, was afraid to tow my new fifth wheel in Cali. with a totally deleted and modified truck, one look at the big second Gen conversion and no Cat would get it impounded so fast, LOL. It is the V-2 EFI Live Tuner for Dodge vehicles 06 and up.

04.5 4x4, 5" Lift on 20"s, Insight, VCM Suite Tune's, 5" exh., T-Ram plate, Banks, Fass, 100 H/P Flux II's, 2nd Gen. S/D T-4 Exh, S-467.7 FMW Turbo, 2nd Gen. Conv., Studs. PPE Dual CP3's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
I may have confused my 04.5 H/P Tuner with my V-2, I think I used 2 credits when I got your custom Tunes. I will have to check and see, as I no longer have the 08 Dodge truck, traded it in on a loaded 2018 Duramax Diesel, was afraid to tow my new fifth wheel in Cali. with a totally deleted and modified truck, one look at the big second Gen conversion and no Cat would get it impounded so fast, LOL. It is the V-2 EFI Live Tuner for Dodge vehicles 06 and up.

No one is impounding delete trucks here. The illegal crap you see driving around here is amazing. They are more worried about the rice burners than our trucks. Cope donít give a crap either, nor are they the least bit educated in the manner to know the difference, and if they are itís because they have a deleted truck too.

Will it fail smog? Yup, that thatís it, fail, fix and come back end of story. Itís a money making system.

If your hear in CA to stay, yea you donít want an overly done up truck since you need to be able to make it stock to pass smog every two years.

Sorry left field, just wanted to clean up miss information for future readers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode