DIY CP3 Mod - Page 14 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 6.7L Trucks...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #157 of 165 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Industrial injection sells one. I had to buy one because I scratched the seal surface on the high pressure fitting. It p****d diesel all over the place. You can get it from toxic diesel, cheapest place I found. Just ensure they work for the 2010+.
Model number is iisbop67

09 3500 laramie 6sp 5" turbo back, all deletes, mini maxx 3600 DD clutch, II BOP, 5.9 intercooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #158 of 165 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure if y'all wanted this dug up or not, but having recently owning my 08 for about 2 1/2 years and just stumbling across this, I figure I lost my outcome of this mod for any new comers like me with a 6.7 that want to do this. So that being said...

Truck surges at higher rpms 150hp tune, so I gave this mod a try last night.

MY OUTCOME OF THIS PROCEDURE CAME OUT A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE WRITEUP.

I removed the FCA, used the screw and vice, tapped the end cap out, also noted how deep it was pressed in the fca for resinstallation. The spring slide right out, turned the fca upside down in my hand, gave it a little jerk like u would a ketchup bottle and then metering valve slide right out nice and easy, no prying or tapping.

Set the valve between a paper towel and then lightly into a pair of channel locks, then slotted out the bottom of both triangles with Dremel. Sanded with 2,000 grit and polished, soaked with wd-40 and compressor blew it till it was dry and dust free. Put the FCA back together and reinstalled.

Next I removed the hp line, then onto the hp fitting. THIS IS WHERE IT GOT REALLY SCARY FOR ME AND DIFFERENT THAN WHAT EVERYONE HAS POSTED ABOJT THE CHECK BALL. I got the hp fitting loose, and went ahead to remove it from the cp3, extremely slowly with my hand under it just incase the check ball would come out also. Pulled the fitting completely out, no check ball behind the spring nothing in my hand nothing at all.

Set the fitting on the bench and went back to the truck to see if I can see the check ball, too my phone with a flashlight and video recored, looks like from the videos I took, the check ball never moved and stayed right in place of where it would be if the fitting was still installed, i even lightly tapped the cp3 to maybe jiggle the ball out but nothing, so right about here is when I'm freaking out thinking i jus screwed up my truck, by i said hell with it now let me just modify the fitting put it back together and pray.

So that's what I did, fitting modified, started to put the fitting back in, and it went in with ease like it's supposed to. Put a hose on the end of cp3, primed it and fuel came out, attached the hp line, and cranked truck right up, idled perfectly as it did before, and took it for a drive and matted it, no surging everything smooth.

So I'm not sure, but where I'm getting at here is the fact I could remove the check ball, it stayed In place and fitting went back in no issues truck runs great, so there is my experience with this mod, honestly I think I got lucky, but would never do it again. LOL
post #159 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:35 PM

awesome. subbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #160 of 165 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Isnt buying the bag of parts kit the same thing?

(Sold!! 2/15/19) 2011 Laramie 4x4 6 inch pro comp lift with long arms. 3 inch body lift 38 x13.50 nitto .. carli low mount stabilizer.. egr dpf delete now with EFI Live tuner edge dash display ..Stacks gone have a 5 inch dump over axle.. Carli full rear leaf springs..some sound ..fass fuel system..valvebody upgraded ...2015 tradesman charcoal grey suncoast trans / Mm3 by tk performance rough country 6 inch lift...20x12 fuel rims 38x15.50 nittos...2 12 sundown subs in a fix box..
post #161 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 AM

I know this thread is several years old.

I just completed the full gambit today, anyone that has any hesitations, dont, just do it. I just replaced my lift pump with a carter 4601HP and found that my FCA was the major culprit. So I decided to do the mod, started with the old FCA, ended up breaking the metering valve so I took another stab at the new one, came out flawless.

For the gear pump only one of my holes was smaller than the .140 (9/16) recommendation. So I opened that one up. Could probably go bigger but I dont know for sure.

If you use 6-32 screws they only need to be about 3/4 long. I bought 1-1/4 and it was way too long. (Yes you need nuts too).

Take your time, brake clean and a tiny cone dremel bit is your friend. Also polish the metering valve with some compound and the felt cylinder works great.

I noticed my egts drop quite a bit. Since I bought the truck it has had no trouble breaching 1500* around 60mph from a stop. Now it is 1400 at 75. I would say not to expect exuberant gains.
Worth your time though. Thanks for all the info. In this thread and hope I could help someone else.
post #162 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:57 AM
Cummins Fan

Subscribed to read old posts lol

2005 Dodge 3500 automatic
post #163 of 165 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 AM

I expected smart comments to follow, haha. On the plus side even with a junk trans it does rolling burnouts now with smart on 9 🤷♂️
post #164 of 165 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Awesome info guys! I know I appreciate it!
post #165 of 165 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode