Clazzio leather seat cover review - 2009 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Clazzio leather seat cover review - 2009 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7

I purchased my 2009 3500 SRW 4x4 6.7 in 2010 with right at 12,000 miles on it. I loved the truck, but I've always hated the cloth seats. I feel like it takes away from the overall 'niceness' of the truck when you get in and it has cloth seats. Also, for my 'regular' job I'm a Bosch and ASE master certified technician, and I'm the lead tech at a shop that works on primarily Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari - so anytime I work on a vehicle that doesn't have leather seats it means the owner was a cheapass, haha.

Anyways, from 2006 up until around 2008 I did heavy line and diesel at a Dodge dealership, and one of the things that I did from time to time was install the 'oem' Katzkin leather seat covers - basically if someone was buying a new truck and wanted leather, and the truck they wanted didn't already have leather, we'd peel off the cloth covers and install the Katzkin covers. If memory serves correct, the Katzkin wasn't the only option, but to get the actual Mopar leather seat covers was WAAAAAAY more expensive than the Katzkin, and our parts department kept the Katzkin stuff in stock. It's been a while, so the details are a little fuzzy, but I'm fairly certain that's how it went. Either way, I specifically remember the Katzkin seat covers being a colossal pain in the - the brand new not-yet-broken-in seat foam fit EXTREMELY snugly in the new leather covers. I don't remember there ever being any extremely good or extremely bad things once they were installed, and I never had to sit in them more than to pull the truck out of my bay and around to the parking lot, so I can't speak for their longevity either.

I knew from prior experience that, not only were the Katzkins an extreme headache to install (although, on a truck with 80,000 miles like mine, and well worn seat cushions, it probably wouldn't be as bad), but they are CRAZY expensive. I'm still able to get parts at 'employee' cost through Dodge, and even with that the Katzkins and/or Mopar leather seat covers were more than I was going to spend. I browsed around and saw a few other manufacturers, but they were either all too expensive, or I couldn't find any info on them - I don't want to spend over a grand on a set of leather seat covers only to find out they don't fit worth a . I called a local upholstery shop, and they quoted me around $2000 for leather seats - big fat that.

I began browsing around online, andfound a few mentions of someone installing seat covers from a company called Clazzio on one of the Dodge forums, but his was a 2010. I did some Googling and was able to find a handful of others with different make/model vehicles who had installed them, and they seemed to have good reviews. I got in contact with Tony at car-leather.com, who carries Clazzio seat covers, and ordered myself a set - they sell the complete set (front and rear) for $450. Insane price, compared to everything else I was looking at. They keep most single tones in stock, but they can do crazy awesome custom colors and such if you're willing to wait a bit - I really wanted suede, but since I'm impatient I opted for solid grey.

When I got them in, everything looked amazing. Total installation time was around 30 minutes, but I tend to be a bit faster with stuff than most. I could see someone who's never turned a wrench before knocking these out in around an hour or so. These covers don't replace the stock cloth covers, they just slip over them. I was a bit leery about this at first, as I've tried the 'top of the line' AutoZone seat covers, and they were super ty - I took them back and returned them haha. The Clazzio pieces actually fit GREAT. They were a bit tough to get on the back seats, and I had to cut holes for the front power switch and the lumbar support myself, but I took my time and they came out perfect. They look AMAZING, and I couldn't be happier with them. There is a tiny bit of looseness in a few spots, but in my experience with leather this is typical, and usually adjusts itsself out in a few days or so, once people have sat in it and it's been out in the sun. The only complaints I initially had were that the rear seat belt buckle spots were about a half inch to an inch off, and they only had one slot for the buckles to pass through (when they really should have a notch cut out, or a second slot cut - nothing that a few seconds with a razor blade didn't fix). It was shortly after this that I realized that I'm ing retarded and the slots were actually for the child seat anchors, and that the buckles should just kinda float free out there (so you guys don't go and do what I did and get it confused, haha). Just put the rear seat covers on and disregard the buckles completely, then just stick 'em up through the crack between the seat back and the bottom. The instructions included with the seats seemed pretty detailed, however I didn't read them - I'm a man, I don't need instructions for some damned seat covers.

I absolutely LOVE the seats, and I would strongly recommend these to anyone who wants real leather seats but doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg for them. Once they were installed, I showed them to a few customers (who drive high-end European cars) and asked if they could guess how much the upholstery cost, and if they were direct-fit replacement covers or slip-ons, and every single one of them guessed that they were replacements (NOT slip-ons) and that they cost well over a thousand. I couldn't be happier.

And no, of course I'm not going to tell anyone that they were less than $500, haha.

Here are a few pictures, it's actually surprisingly tough to get 'good' photos of my seats...but they give you a good idea. These were taken right after install, so the covers haven't 'accumulated' themselves yet...I also expect since I've got 80k on my seat cushions (except for the driver seat bottom, which I replaced recently) that they're going to fit a bit looser than they would on a newer truck, since you could call my cushions 'well worn' haha...you'll notice that the rears (which, other than the occasional horizontal mambo, don't get much use) fit much more snugly than the fronts, which further goes to support my theory that if I'd replaced my front seat cushions everything would look absolutely snug and perfect - BUT either way I'm still more than pleased with how they came out. I'll also be sure and post an update once I get some use in 'em.

And now for the photos!!

-wil

09.1 3500 SRW 4X4...14.1 @96mph mostly stock - with the stock, dirty, 75k air filter
Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini tech...Dodge/Cummins certified from back in the day, too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to civicious For This Useful Post:
jeepvin (08-03-2012), UNDER-PRESSURE (03-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the review & info. They look very nice.

2018 FORD F-150 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow 2wd
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Them seats look great. Now that you have used them how do they seam to be holding up as far as wear and getting in and out and the covers staying tight fitting?

I have a 07.5 with power and cloth seats that I just replaced the bottom padding on and now wanting to upgrade to leather but do not want to spend $2000. on Katzins covers and I actually just looked this brand up on ebay last night to check them out but was not sure about covering the factory seat covers.

Just a farm truck, with some extras!
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 C/C 6.7L, auto, 9'.4" CM HAULER BED, front replacement, H&S XRT with deletes and S&B INTAKE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

They're holding up freakin' amazingly, actually - I couldn't be happier with them. It's one of those mods that you never even think about, because it fits in so naturally. I've had zero issues with them tearing, coming apart, coming loose, shifting, etc. They also seem to have 'accumulated' themselves by now - the looseness and ill-fitting corners from the original pictures (even though it wasn't even that bad at the time) have pretty much all disappeared - now they all look perfect. I've been doing a lot of driving this year for racing (when I posted the original thread in March I had just at 80k, I'm just over 100k now), so these things have had a LOT of use, and they're holding up great.

I hate to sound like someone that's a representative of the company (I'm not) or sound like I'm compensated by the manufacturer (I'm not), and I hate to give a 'All positive, no negative, these are PERFECT review (aka an 'AMSOIL' review, cough cough pyramid scam, haha)....but these seat covers are INCREDIBLE. I feel 100% confident that I lucked out on this deal, and I honestly don't think that there's a better deal out there for leather seats without spending more than the cost of a couplea truck notes. To be honest, at this point I don't ever even think about them being any different from what came with the truck - they fit in that well.

I absolutely love 'em, I'd still recommend them to anyone out there. I'm going to be purchasing another car in the next few months, I plan on trying and getting cloth seats and putting some of these in it, and see how they work on a 'new' application.

09.1 3500 SRW 4X4...14.1 @96mph mostly stock - with the stock, dirty, 75k air filter
Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini tech...Dodge/Cummins certified from back in the day, too!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Diesel Head

That's awesome, thanks for the info. I, too, am wanting leather but don't want to spend Katzkin prices. $450 for a set is unbelievable, this might be my next mod.

2007.5 3500 MegaCab SLT SRW 4x4 6.7L, 68RFE w/ Mag-Hytec, XRT Pro, Diamond Eye DPF Delete, leveling kit w/ Bilstein 5100s, SnugTop Rebel shell, Insight CTS, Hell Bent Steel SBS - SOLD
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Those look great. Are these the ones that slip over the cloth?

2013-Megacab Laramie, auto, deleted 2012-Crew Cab-Sold 2013-Megacab-Sold 2008Quad Cab-Sold 2008 Megacab-Sold
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Diesel Head

I'm curious, do your rear seats have the flip-down cup holders in the center of the back of the seat? Mine does...and I'd hate to lose them, the kids ride in the back seat and need a place to put their drinks.

2007.5 3500 MegaCab SLT SRW 4x4 6.7L, 68RFE w/ Mag-Hytec, XRT Pro, Diamond Eye DPF Delete, leveling kit w/ Bilstein 5100s, SnugTop Rebel shell, Insight CTS, Hell Bent Steel SBS - SOLD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Civicious--Excellent write-up and pix. Just the info I need, gonna pull the trigger tomorrow. I have been wanting to replace the cloth for some time now.
THANK YOU-THANK YOU

04 4X4 ,48RE, QC-LB, single billet low stal TC, studs, BW sxe 363, BBI.5 inj,airaid,LS 3.73`,Smarty jr, free spin hubs, 2 mic.Cat. filtration, autometer gauges,mystery switch.water/meth inj., BD exh brake, onboard air.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Diesel Head

Looks great!

I will keep that brand in mind for my next vehicle.

MikeyB
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,395 Posts
How about some current photos.

Custom pinstriped Power Wheel. I started out with very little... I still have most of it. Feel free to PM me anytime.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Cummins Fanatic

BIG BIG problem according to CLAZZIO NO workie on 04 2500 ONLY 1500.
I thought they shared the same seats on the quad cab. I an extremely disappointed

04 4X4 ,48RE, QC-LB, single billet low stal TC, studs, BW sxe 363, BBI.5 inj,airaid,LS 3.73`,Smarty jr, free spin hubs, 2 mic.Cat. filtration, autometer gauges,mystery switch.water/meth inj., BD exh brake, onboard air.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepvin View Post
BIG BIG problem according to CLAZZIO NO workie on 04 2500 ONLY 1500.
I thought they shared the same seats on the quad cab. I an extremely disappointed
How can you be "extremely disappointed"? Even Dodge clearly list that 02 to 05 or 06 is the same and 06/07 to 2009 are the same and 10 up are the same.

So Clazzio has nothing to do with this! So whats the "big problem"? Plus the section of the froum this post is listed in is 07.5 and Up 6.7 Liter Cummins, not 02 to 06 section!

Just a farm truck, with some extras!
2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 C/C 6.7L, auto, 9'.4" CM HAULER BED, front replacement, H&S XRT with deletes and S&B INTAKE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode