Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Heated Seats, Sliding Window, and exhaust brake backlighting

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Trykillthis664 
#1 ·
I just swapped out my sliding rear window switch and driver heated seat switch to fix the no illumination issue. The other two switches were fine when I pulled the dash out. Put it back together and I lost the illumination in the other 2 switches. Is there a circuit that controls the lights. Just seems a little freakishly coincidental for the LED's to blow just because I replaced the other 2 switches. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Did you disconnect that battery before you pulled the panel out? I've had the same issue when I've replaced switches in that panel and my best guess is that the LED's are extremely sensitive to stray voltage and are burning out when you plug the switches back in. I have not tried to verify this though.

#4 ·
Yeah they’re soldered connection incandescent lighting. And they are ridiculously sensitive. There’s a thread on here somewhere showing how you can replace them and what part numbers to get for the bulbs and the tinted sleeves so they glow the right color. Yes it’s cheap. You can get enough bulbs to re-light your whole dash for about $20. But to be honest, unless you’re way more comfortable than me with a soldering iron it’s probably easier to just replace the switches. Stereo shop blew out the lights in my exhaust brake, rear slider, and passenger heated seat switches while replacing my head unit... after sniffing and attempting one, I’ll pay $20 per switch to replace... if I’d attempted the bulbs, I’d probably be replacing the switch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
what stuff i can't find online thru mopar parts direct (i think that's the site, it's bookmarked on my laptop at home), i go to the local mega-dealership parts distribution warehouse (one of those huge "we have a dealership for everything but exotics" type) and buy direct from them in person. no parts department markup, no dealing with the minimum-wage parts-looker-upper behind the counter, and paying cash at the counter is even cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.