Battery Drains Overnight - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7L Non-Powertrain Discussion of Accessories, Interior, everything not power related...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 1 Post By grporter
  • 1 Post By sebastian f7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Battery Drains Overnight

2008 6.7 Megacab- auto - 4WD

Just had the battery drain down below 10 volts for only the second time over the last couple of months. There was nothing turned on both times this has happened, but the battery drain came from somewhere. I really checked off the normal systems that could be left on before I did anything this am.

I was out camping and had to use two sets of jumper cables to reach from the trailer batteries to the truck - then charge up the bats with the onboard Onan 4000 generator. Took forever to get the bats up to normal operating voltage. Note to self: make up 20-some foot low loss-high capacity jumpers to keep in the truck. Don't expect half-asssed jumper cables to turn one of these bad boys over....

5 year old Die Hard Platinum batteries. Battery voltage after recharge does not point to a dead cell or battery issue.

Anyone have an idea of a system or accessory that will/may hang or not turn off.

The frequency points to user problem - I just don't know where it could be coming from...or what I'm doing?

Right now I don't trust taking the truck out into the Puckerbrush.

2008 White Laramie 4 x 4 2500 Megacab Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by River-Runner View Post
2008 6.7 Megacab- auto - 4WD

Just had the battery drain down below 10 volts for only the second time over the last couple of months. There was nothing turned on both times this has happened, but the battery drain came from somewhere. I really checked off the normal systems that could be left on before I did anything this am.

I was out camping and had to use two sets of jumper cables to reach from the trailer batteries to the truck - then charge up the bats with the onboard Onan 4000 generator. Took forever to get the bats up to normal operating voltage. Note to self: make up 20-some foot low loss-high capacity jumpers to keep in the truck. Don't expect half-asssed jumper cables to turn one of these bad boys over....

5 year old Die Hard Platinum batteries. Battery voltage after recharge does not point to a dead cell or battery issue.

Anyone have an idea of a system or accessory that will/may hang or not turn off.

The frequency points to user problem - I just don't know where it could be coming from...or what I'm doing?

Right now I don't trust taking the truck out into the Puckerbrush.
Problems like this suck... I had a set of those same batteries and ended up taking them back just before the replacement warranty was up. My truck would sit sometimes (weeks) and I think my edge insight gauge would slowly drain them. Once those batteries drained a time or two they became damaged and unreliable. Load testing is the only way to know and Sears confirmed this in order to get warrantied. So, even if there is something you find draining them then most likely they need replaced anyway.

I now hook up a battery tender so I don't ruin another pair of good batteries. I didn't buy the sears once again because they now longer even made them which is suspect to their quality for me.

2007.5 Electric Blue 3500 Megacab SLT 4x4, Revertible Stealth Deletes with Smarty ME Sr. SW3, S&B Intake, NAV REC.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
individually test the batteries. 5 years is a long life in these trucks in my experience, and I'm in a relatively mild climate. a good jump box will crank our trucks.
phantomtwo likes this.

2010 CCSB 4x4 Big Horn 68rfe. EFI Live Anarchy,Reunel bumpers,Warn PowerPlant,295/60/20 Nitto Terra Graps,Raceline 20x9 +12,Carli 3" 2.5 pintop (2" Thuren springs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Add some Glo for that Soul!

5 years is getting up there. However, these trucks are known for having TIPM issues. My buddy has an 06 that kept doing that. He even had a switch installed and routed inside to turn his battery off. Kept doing it. Reset TIPM and it's been good for about a year.
phantomtwo likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:06 AM

Garage
Had the same issue and discussed it with my dealer mechanics.
Apparently, by their discussion, my computer doesn't go into sleep mode after a predetermined time.
Because of this, during cold weather, (below 55 deg) it tells the grid heater to cycle.
This drains the batteries quite quickly.
There was another thread on here awhile back that addressed this issue.
I simply disconnected the grid heater from the batteries.
No problem since.

Drifter
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Your grid heaters used to cycle when the key is not in the ignition ?

R12.5z in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & CES-20078.5z all year.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Diesel Head

Your problems point to bad batteries, parasitic power drain, or both. Get the batteries load tested. I've had 5 year batteries fail in 2 years. Might as well run a charging test on your truck at the same time to make sure they are charging correctly. Check all battery connections, cables and grounds. If that doesn't fix it, check for parasitic power drain. Remove positive terminal from drivers side battery. Connect a multi-meter between the positive battery post and the (disconnected) positive battery cable. Measure voltage draw. If you do have parasitic power drain, start pulling fuses one at a time to see if volt meter drops. If voltage drops when you pull a fuse, you've found the culprit. Troubleshoot and fix that circuit. Accessories (lights, aftermarket stereo, plows, etc.) are always suspect. If you're not familiar with the test, You can go onto Youtube and find a video that shows how to do it. Use the search term parasitic power drain or power draw.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM

Garage
As said above, have you batteries tested. 5 years on diesel batteries is about max life. Then proceed to do a parasitic drain test. I had the exact same issue, and it wound up being an aftermarket radio i installed staying on in the background. Lots of thread regarding parasitic drain testing, and the allowable mA at rest.

12 Ram 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7, G56. Bone Stock
08 Ram 2500 QCSB 4x4, 6.7, G56. Draconian Tuned, Deleted.....SOLD
01 Ram 2500 SCLB 4x4 5.9, 6 speed...Lots of goodies 380/815...SOLD

Wyoming Chapter Eastern VP
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCummins01 View Post
As said above, have you batteries tested. 5 years on diesel batteries is about max life. Then proceed to do a parasitic drain test. I had the exact same issue, and it wound up being an aftermarket radio i installed staying on in the background. Lots of thread regarding parasitic drain testing, and the allowable mA at rest.
Mine was an edge insight gauge... If I parked my truck for a week or more, it took the batteries down. I ruined a good set of batteries this way like a dummy... Now I keep it on a tender since my truck isn't used daily and mostly for work and pleasure.

2007.5 Electric Blue 3500 Megacab SLT 4x4, Revertible Stealth Deletes with Smarty ME Sr. SW3, S&B Intake, NAV REC.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:00 PM

Just had it happen to me. Batteries are 2 months old. Both batteries were drained to 1 volt each.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 AM

Pull the IOD fuse and check for parasitic draw. I’ve had a lot of TIPMs not power down the IOD circuit and letting those modules drain the batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode