Thoughts on theses headlights? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I got these headlights in this past Thursday and I'll offer my initial thoughts here along with pictures. These lights are actually Spyder lights which wasn't in the Amazon description. Link here:
https://www.carid.com/2008-dodge-ram...parentsubmodel

The box that came in on Thursday was huge. I underestimated how big these lights are.

Quick thoughts:

1. The low/high beams are a single plug and play install (does not use turn-socket from OEM- uses the connector from OEM)
2. The turn/blinker light is plug and play (uses the bulb and turn-socket from OEM)
2. The LED strip/bar is not plug and play (See review below)
3. The low beam bulb is a PITA to replace
4. The high beam bulb is easier to replace
5. The build quality is good. Does not feel like a step down from OEM.

When I got these initially, I thought I would just have a professional install them when I realized it wasn't a simple plug/play install like the Amazon reviews state. The Spyder install video on the Carid link above shows a simple plug and play install, different from this video:

Based on the carid video, I decided to go ahead and try it. What is different about my spyder lights is while the high/low beams connect to a single connector and the turn/blinker light twists into its own hole like in the Spyder video on the carid site, my LED strip/bar has a hot (black) and a neutral (white) wire for it, which taps into the turn signal connector which I haven't done yet.

The youtube video isn't captioned well so I'm not sure which wires to tap into on the turn signal connector. It's a bit unclear so I have left the hot/neutral wires taped against the back of the lights for now while I research how to use a voltmeter to determine which wires to tap into.

The high beam lights are AWESOME. Extremely bright. The low beam lights are not adjusted right now so I can't see much with them. I was going to adjust those lights but it is pointless because my truck is going back to the shop on Wednesday to be leveled, and the 295/65/r20s are going on Thursday. The level adds 3", and the tires will add another 3" so I am going to wait until all that is done before adjusting the low beam lights.

It has down poured two times since I put the lights on, and no water has penetrated the seal. No fog/condescension as formed as well. So far, so good.

Are these lights worth $300? Yes and no. Yes for the looks and quality. No for the ease of quickly replacing the bulbs. The bulbs are much easier to replace on the OEM headlights. You just twist the high/low beam bulb out. Same with the turn/running signal light. On the Spyder lights, only the turn signal can twist out. The low beam is recessed into the housing about 2" making it difficult to retrieve the bulb. The high beam bulb is recessed about 1" into the housing, so a bit easier to get out. Both are secured by spring-loaded metal clip. I will take pictures of this when I figure out how to tap the turn signal light wires for the LED strip/bar.

Pictures:

s10010001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRideOut View Post
I got these headlights in this past......

Looks great man, thanks for posting! Looks Especially good on your white truck with the white led strip.

Post some pics of the lighting when you get them adjusted and why not! Canít want to see the standard low beam brightness and pattern.

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Cummins Fan

Yeah I took pictures of the beam pattern on the OEM lights against the garage door on Wednesday night. Once I get the new one dialed in, I'll take pictures of the light pattern and post the A/B shots here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastRideOut For This Useful Post:
s10010001 (08-11-2019), Zacedward (08-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
My brother got these ones for his GMC Sierra. I took them apart, took out the garbage projector and upgraded it to the MD2S 3.0 ($50). I also took out the LEDs for that running light and upgraded it with higher quality LEDs. Although these are cheap, you can upgrade parts to improve them.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 AM
Cummins Fan

Aug 13th update:

In my original review, I was mistaken when I said the low beams (H7) are difficult to reach while the high beams (H1) are hard to reach. The opposite is true. The low beam H7's are easy to reach, while the high beams (H1) are harder to reach. See pictures:

High beams H1 bulb socket. I've included a screwdriver for scale so the depth is easier to see:

Low beams. The H7 bulb is much easier to access:

Entire backside:

I got the LED strip working by taping into the running lights with t-taps:

Low beams:

High beams:

Side view:

I replaced the bulbs that came with the headlight assembly with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. I will post A/B pictures when I adjust it after the truck is leveled tomorrow and 35's put on on Thurs.

The running light bulb from the OEM assembly was a orange 3157. I went out and bought Sylvania long life bulbs. They were still too yellow for me, so I put in Sylvania Zeno 6000k LEDs. Much better, but I am getting hyperflashing when I turn on the blinkers. I'll either solder a resister onto the the LED bulb or just replace the tail lights with the same LEDs and call it good.
Zacedward and s10010001 like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastRideOut For This Useful Post:
s10010001 (08-14-2019), Zacedward (08-14-2019)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRideOut View Post
Aug 13th update:

In my original review, I was mistaken when I said the low beams (H7) are difficult to reach while the high beams (H1) are hard to reach. The opposite is true. The low beam H7's are easy to reach, while the high beams (H1) are harder to reach. See pictures:

High beams H1 bulb socket. I've included a screwdriver for scale so the depth is easier to see:

Low beams. The H7 bulb is much easier to access:

Entire backside:

I got the LED strip working by taping into the running lights with t-taps:

Low beams:

High beams:

Side view:

I replaced the bulbs that came with the headlight assembly with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. I will post A/B pictures when I adjust it after the truck is leveled tomorrow and 35's put on on Thurs.

The running light bulb from the OEM assembly was a orange 3157. I went out and bought Sylvania long life bulbs. They were still too yellow for me, so I put in Sylvania Zeno 6000k LEDs. Much better, but I am getting hyperflashing when I turn on the blinkers. I'll either solder a resister onto the the LED bulb or just replace the tail lights with the same LEDs and call it good.
Do you have any output pictures, like this? Then we can see how they perform.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT 11B View Post
Do you have any output pictures, like this? Then we can see how they perform.

Damn I would love output like that

2008 6.7 2500 4x4 Auto 3.73
2000 5.9 3500 4x4 Auto 4.10 (sold)
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10010001 View Post
Damn I would love output like that
It gets better then that. I have quads and that's only one set of projectors i have turned on.

I also put MH1 in my fog lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode