Reading The Smoke - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
  • 1 Post By UtahBruteForce
  • 1 Post By N of 60
  • 1 Post By UtahBruteForce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Reading The Smoke

Hey Guys,

New to the forum here. I just wanted to post this question, I'm sure it's quite easy to answer given all the experience of the collective here.

So I own an '07.5 2500 mega cab manual 6.7L truck. The dealer who had it before me had to do some work to it, most notably the guy who traded it in took his tuner with him so the truck wouldn't run. They ended up getting the truck tuned and stacked with 5 tunes, selectable by mounted dial. They also replaced the entire exhaust from turbo back, so it's pretty much a straight pipe with a muffler, nothing else. Airbox is stock, EGR is all deleted.

The highest tune is +180HP, and I run it on that tune all the time because it gets the best gas mileage, plus I drive pretty conservatively. Not that easy to hot-rod a manual truck lol, and I take extra precautions when towing for obvious reasons.

Anyway, the real reason for this post: reading smoke. I noticed two things about the truck in regards to smoke out the exhaust:

1. In the winter, the colder it is, the more white smoke I get just on start up. Is this something I should be worried about? Pretty much never see it when it's warm, I'm assuming it's leftover unburnt gas in the exhaust?

2. If I get AT ALL liberal with the throttle, maybe 40%+ I get black smoke out the exhaust for a moment. The more throttle, the more black smoke. At most it lasts maybe 1-2 seconds before clearing up. My best guess as to why this is happening is the stock air box can't provide the air to keep up with the amount of fuel being dumped in by the tune initially?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the input!

- Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 PM
08 Cummins

Is it a puff of white smoke on start or is it steady white smoke until it warms up? If it's just a puffy, that is most likely just a product of the tuning. If it is a steady white smoke, I would say that's a sign something else is going on.

Black smoke on a box 180 hp tune, is nothing unusual. The tune is most likely calling for more fuel during the transition than you have air for until the turbo spools. Does the truck have a clean air filter? A dirty air filter could cause that but I would say that on a 180 hp tune a little black smoke is perfectly normal.

Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

It's definitely just a puff at the beginning. The colder it is, the bigger the puff.

The air filter should be relatively clean, though may be coming to the end of it's life. Last I checked that little push reset indicator it was maybe down to a quarter of life left. But the truck has smoked liked that since I replaced it after purchase. I figured if I really want to reduce the smoke and have more of that fuel used, I'd probably have to get a less restrictive intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
Is it a puff of white smoke on start or is it steady white smoke until it warms up? If it's just a puffy, that is most likely just a product of the tuning. If it is a steady white smoke, I would say that's a sign something else is going on.

Black smoke on a box 180 hp tune, is nothing unusual. The tune is most likely calling for more fuel during the transition than you have air for until the turbo spools. Does the truck have a clean air filter? A dirty air filter could cause that but I would say that on a 180 hp tune a little black smoke is perfectly normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Cold air, white smoke = normal. Move along, nothing to see here!

2009 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW
FASS150, BD Intake Elbow, ARP 425 Studs, Timbrens, Turbo back delete, Black Maxx w/OD, Flo-Pro, Attitude 63 Turbo, RevMax 550 Trans, Aux Trans Cooler
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
But, the bigger issue is the smell; if you exhaust stops smelling like Diesel and takes on a sweeter flavor, likely you're burning coolant. You'll see this as a much whiter smoke. Then, if you smell something more funky, likely you're burning oil. I tend to go more by the smell of the exhaust than the color. I've BTDT and am now at 214k miles and $30k in after market hard parts.
N of 60 likes this.

FASS150, BD Intake Elbow, ARP 425 Studs, Timbrens, Turbo back delete, Black Maxx w/OD, Flo-Pro, Attitude 63 Turbo, RevMax 550 Trans, Aux Trans Cooler
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBruteForce View Post
I've BTDT and am now at 214k miles and $30k in after market hard parts.
Ohhhh, but itís been fun hasnít it.
UtahBruteForce likes this.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:27 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Ohhhh, but itís been fun hasnít it.
Lets just say its been an ever learning experience! But, the truck is a beast now..
N of 60 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode