Cleaning the DPF - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
07.5 - 09 3rd Gen 6.7 Liter General Discussion General Chit Chat About the 6.7L 3rd generation Cummins - NO ADVERTISING

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning the DPF

Found some information about the DPF and cleaning it as well. Thought I heard that the filter could not be cleaned when plugged, just replaced. Check out the link below.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/fil...t_training.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Cummins Fanatic

This is interesting, 3 types of regeneration. How do you know when the process occurs ? I have close to 2000k and I haven't notice any lights or chimes waking me up ? No notifications from the overhead console !!!
This is for the Cummins DPF, I'm not sure if the DC DPF regen process is similar to the Cummins process ?

07.5 2500 QC 6.7 68rfe, n-fab step & pre runner light bar,BW flares, striker 170, 295 Toyo MT,

Last edited by upnorth; 05-14-2007 at 06:54 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Cummins Fan

John6.6l
Thank you for posting this information. If Cummins says 200,000 is the minimum my guess is that is us people who only drive a few miles a day and do not "work" our engine. That is 2x the warrantied life span Works for me.
Fred

2007.5 3500 qclbsrw Laramie;Quadzilla Commander pillar mount gauge;Reece 16k signature hitch;Sirius Radio; Zumo 550 GPS;2004 Electra Glide Classic;2008 Raptor RL3602
Going fast is not an act it is a disease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

If I am not mistaken Cummins makes the DPF for Dodge. I am still looking for the column on the internet. Let you all know.
You may not notice at all, other than a low hum. If you drive at highway speeds alot it may be awhile before it has to. The overhead is suppose to warn you that it will need to regan, as well as it capacity in percent.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 AM

Technically, there are only two types of regeneration. Stationary regen uses the same process as active, only it has to be driver initiated or by Insite. And the aftertreatment assembly is Cummins not DC. The only part DC will play is to have a wiring harness running down the DPF for the temp sensors and pressure sensor.

You are right, once the filter is plugged, it cannot be cleaned except by Cummins ReCon. The filter can be cleaned up to 85% clogged and once hits 90% clogged its too late for the filter. Passive Regeneration occurs at 65% clogged. If EGT's are not high enough, it will not go into regen and throw on a DPF light. CEL comes on at 80% clogged.

If it is going into Passive Regen, you won't know its going on, unless you stand by the exhaust tip. Just a safety point, the exhaust will be coming out at around 800-900 degrees for the ISB. So if you are going to do a stationary regen, be sure you know what you're parking over. These midrange engines are not as bad, but the heavy duty EGT's can get up to 1400 degrees and will melt asphalt.

Also, you do have a warranty past 200k. Not on the aftertreatment itself, but say a turbo goes out and takes out the filter in the process. If the turbo is covered under warranty, then the aftertreatment is covered under a progressive damage warranty.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
SC Chapter President

Pretty sweet find on the training. I work for a Utility company in SC and we are getting freightliners with the new 6.7's in them and everyone is scared of them. I have shared this with some of the techs here in the garage and thay all thought that it was a cool write up!!

1996 Dually 4X4
Transmission by Pro Street Diesel (Darren is the man!!)
Tuning by Cox Diesel Performance (864)991-9263

395hp/867tq on Dunbar's Dyno @ 40psi 7/10/10
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Perfect regen...?

During the last couple weeks, I was rebuilding my cottage burnt in Feb. I was staying at my chum's place about 1.2 miles from my place. 6 times a day a was doing that 1.2 miles and after the fourth day, the overhead was showing
catalyst status 80%. Because of this forum, I knew what I had to do but,
where I was located, there was now way that I could drive for 45 minutes at high speed. I engaged the exhaust brake ( don't ask me why ) and I was shifting manually with the rocker switch to keep the revs around 2100.
I checked the time....The overhead is actually showing you every 10% when the regeneration take place. After 19 minutes, it was showing 0% and after 23 minutes, the catalyst status indication was gone.

07.5 2500 QC 6.7 68rfe, n-fab step & pre runner light bar,BW flares, striker 170, 295 Toyo MT,
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Very interesting. It's good to know now what it takes to keep them in good running condition. The 20 minute drive clean out is fantastic.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Well I Worked at Cummins Cal Pacific in Montebello, CA...

They said that they will not Buy the piece of equipment to clean out the DPF because it isn't cost effective as it costs $25000.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:29 AM

Soooo, a customer can spend 40-50k on a truck..... and they can't justify the cost?

This will be a question I'll have for my dealer when I go to buy mine.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM

how do you get the over head to tell you whenit is full and how much it is full i cant get mine to ay it at all
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEPitCUMMIN View Post
how do you get the over head to tell you whenit is full and how much it is full i cant get mine to ay it at all
It will only display when the catalyst is at 80% with one chime and it is altenating with the check the owner's manual display. Engage the turbo brake, ( it's not in the manual but it worked for me ), and drive, shifting with the rocker switch at the end of the stick to keep your rpm above 2100. In my case, it shows 70%, 60%, 50% down to 0% in 19 minutes. The catalyst status 0% disappears after 23 minutes. I didn't touch anything. It came on and off. When it shows 100%, it is too late.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode