Auto transmission shop??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Community Hall > Chapter Forums > West Virginia
CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question Auto transmission shop???

Anyone know who in this part of the state (around Charleston) does good work on the 48RE auto box? The transmission does fine all times except if I give the skinny pedal a hard mash to the floor. At that time I get the RPMs up, turbo spooled up, transmission kicking down a gear or two, but that's it. The transmission just spins until I let off a little and it can kick back up to a higher gear.

I would like to upgrade whatever I need inside the transmission, but I don't know who around the area is willing and able to do upgrades. I am not planning on building a lot of extra power over stock - maybe just a low tow setting on a programmer. Any thoughts on shops or individuals?
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
I wanna go fast...

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like you just need a converter and valve body. How many miles on your trans now?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

The truck just turned 110k miles. I have read some articles in diesel mags about the 48RE and the levels of buildups. One article listed a heavy duty torque converter and a valve body upgrade as good for somewhere in the 600 hp and 1100 lb-ft range. That's more than I intend to make, but I want a transmission that is built to last. I also read about some sort of solenoid upgrade. Anyone have any light to shed on this?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Here is a link to a great resource with some prices.

Goerend Transmission Incorporated

As you can see his high pressure valve body comes with the solenoids.

Here is another...

Diesel Transmission Technology - DTT Performance Diesel Transmission and Power Accessories

Last, but not least...

Sun Coast Converters Diesel Transmissions, Fort Walton Beach FL

Hard to go wrong with any of these.

Good luck!
Elim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Mod

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Brian Vannest has a shop in Ravenswood that will hook you up. I have never dealt with him personally but he is the only local that I know of off hand.

If not him then Elim gave you the top 3 big boys who half of this forum has trannys from.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Vannest performance in Ravenswood is about the only local guy that will work on them at a fair price and get you the performance you want..Everyone knows the pounding ours has had and the transmission is
great. Like Chris or someone said you may only need a valve body or perhaps you have a line pressure issue....torque converter lock up really helps keep things tight. Brian has some parts of his own design or you can drop ship to him as we have done before.
John Wilson's "Big Purple Cummins" 2000 24v dually, edge juice,smartys, 4"lift and level,Fass 150, DDT 250hp injectors,HotRod2 pump,John Deere s300s,Ukon 3.55 gears n locker, Vannest Billet trans.Dacco Lockup 3 Disk 2500 stall converter,BDP billet flexplate,head studs, Bilstiens,AEM meth/H20 Injection,PDI 3 piece manifold,ATS intake horn,NX express 75 shot nitrous, Rock Stars, Ladder bars,35"Gdyrs, 7" straight stack, projector lights, Shied lines tubes and stage II cam 110lbs. valve springs, billet timing cover..fingers crossed always
krawlericf is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Great info. Thanks to all.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

brian is good
ram man 2009 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.