Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Truck pulls aka "Hookin" thread!

22K views 254 replies 24 participants last post by  ram man 2009 
#1 ·
What 3 guys in the group hooked on Saturday 7/10/10 at Putnam and not one of them has the time to post info or pics!

This is very disappointing John, JT and JSamples. :spank:

We need the hookin BS!!!
Was this your first pull?
What did you truck weigh in at?
How long was your pull?
What gear did you pull in?
What boost/RPM did you launch at?
What do you think you need for next time “parts, change how you launch”?
How did it feel?

We want the hookin info!

#3 · (Edited)
sorry guys, my internet is crap.
well i'll start off with this, it was my first time hookin and it was fun as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party018: definate adrenaline rush!
my truck weighed in at 7500lbs, pulled in the 8000lb street class, i pulled in 3rd gear 4x4Low, i dont recall what rpm i left at id guess 2500rpm or what my boost was it was probably 35+ cause my boost alarm went off an its set for 34, i pulled 188ft which isnt great but not bad for my first time. i had to go easy on er cause i'm due for a new clutch and if you saw me pull then you smelled it!!:doh:
next time hookin for me will be next year, i need a new clutch! and i've got a small list of parts i'm gonna have my next jully-turbo, injectors, head job, air dog, clutch, tires, and a couple other things:party018:
but again, DEFINATE ADRENALINE RUSH!!! i only wish i couldve put the edge on 5 and floored it but there wasnt no way in heel the clutch woulve survived, it slipped a lil on level 3:banghead:

#5 ·
well i'll start off with this, it was my first time hookin and it was fun as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:party018: definate adrenaline rush!:
We are all proud of you guys representing the crew and it's all about having fun.

#4 ·
Rob rocking the sled. Great job!

#7 · (Edited)
The J & B bro's have plans in the works for next year. We can't let you young guns have all the fun. LOL

I would like to see a group of 10 from the crew hookin at all the local pulls next year.

#18 ·
Well it wasn't my best pull, but a good run for the first hook of the year. I got 7th outta 25 in the street class with a pull of 237 feet. My intercooler hose blew off at around 230 so that ended my run pretty quickly lol. My methanol didn't spray hardly at all either, so there's another issue to fix. I figure I woulda came home with some sort of trophy if those two factors wouldn't have held the truck back but who knows. Everything else worked great, tires and clutch and everything else. I'm gettin better intercooler boots this week and tryin to solve the methanol problem too before Jackson county, I'll be runnin there in the modified class. I always air my tires down to around 30, I tried lower once n almost ripped my truck apart from too much traction. I always pull 4th gear 4 low now that I've got the clutch for it, but next year I'm gonna try 5th with a better clutch and bigger injectors I hope. As for boost and egt's, it's hard to know really. You should be lookin at the track in front of you finding a good line to run instead of gauges and I glance in the mirror at least once to check on things behind me, but I do try to look at least once at my boost just to see how she's hookin up and i saw 60 sumthin b4 it blew the intercooler tube off. Honestly egt's don't matter for that little of distance as long as u let the truck cool off afterwards. I've seen trucks run 1800 degrees on the track several times with no problems. I got a slight glance n saw 1100 on mine when looking for boost but I figure it got lower than that once I got spooled up cause she quit smokin almost entirely up above 60psi, bigger injectors are needed I think. As for videos, I have a great one of my pull but no Internet besides my phone so give me a day or two to try to get it posted. And if anybody wants to watch me hook again I'll be at Jackson county for sure, possibly mineral wells, and slightly considered cabell county but probly not on that one. I've been hookin for 3 years I think lol I figure that was my 10th pull or so, I try to do it at least 3 times a year but a few always get rained on.

#19 ·
Where do they take the hitch measurement say 26" is that the bottom, top, or somewhere close?

#20 ·
It differs sometimes depending on who's measurin, but generally at the top of your hooking point. I got away with a higher hitch once when they had a kid measuring the hitches tho lol. Sometimes they're more strict sometimes they check nearly nothing on the trucks. 99% of the time, they weigh you in, measure your hitch, and that's it. I've fought for more strict rules but at the county fair circuit they just don't have the people or the time to really do it right I think. Cheating in some form or another is always gonna be around in any sport. I'm comfortable with being within a few feet of trucks running nitrous illegally in street classes and trucks that are so obviously not street driven, liscensed, and insured. It's just something you learn to expect. Another thing that ticks me off is running in multiple classes. A truck capable of a top 5 finish in the open class has no place in the street class in my opinion, and a 2.6 turbo is a bit big for street class truck rules IMO too, but who am I to change the rules lol. I think I got on a rant here lol I apologize, but these rules frustrate me every year when guys with twice as much money in their trailored in trucks have to show off some ego by dominating a street driven truck class. My only revenge is when I end up beatin most of em with better consistency of a more underpowered truck or when their cubic dollar motors tear themselves apart lol.

#22 ·
I'll have to mess with my hitch some more, right now I have it @ 26" but really would like for it to be flipped over. I agree Jesse if I can take my truck and compete against sled pulling rigs, that's good enough for me. I just want to try it for fun. I agree rules should be met before you can hook. I am making sure my truck meets every rule before I attempt to hook for my first time even if I know everything will not be checked. Rules are in place for a reason; be it to keep things Safe or Competitive

#23 ·
just read the first post i got a 2000 dulley and i left second gear low range i shoulda left in first didnt pay atention to rpm it was my first pull and i noticed i couldnt get it to build more than 9 lbs before it started to pull and when i left i let it shift first to second then hit lockup at 75 ft as soon as it caught second and my truck weighed 7600 lbs

Reactions: Brians06dodge
#24 ·
Cabel fair pull

This was our 2nd pull event..After trashing a possibly defective ( poor metal ) billit flexplate..ripped center clean out we tossed in a BD diesel Billit Plate from Pure Diesel..appears to be a really stout piece. Also head studs for peace of mind. Any how..track was kinda ruff and wet..didnt air down as I will in the future. 15lbs boost on launch 2nd gear 4low hit lockup after the shift and ran about 40lbs boost at 1220 egt mid track 3700 rpm..atleast thats what the juice history says. No wheel hop or shutter..good wheel speed but traction sucked. Overall I was pleased with run and hope to get up in mid 200's next time. Jackson County looks fun. Thanks for everyones help and support and friendship...great tunout for the WV Crew on a hot evening.!

#25 ·
This was our 2nd pull event..After trashing a possibly defective ( poor metal ) billit flexplate..ripped center clean out we tossed in a BD diesel Billit Plate from Pure Diesel..appears to be a really stout piece. Also head studs for peace of mind. Any how..track was kinda ruff and wet..didnt air down as I will in the future. 15lbs boost on launch 2nd gear 4low hit lockup after the shift and ran about 40lbs boost at 1220 egt mid track 3700 rpm..atleast thats what the juice history says. No wheel hop or shutter..good wheel speed but traction sucked. Overall I was pleased with run and hope to get up in mid 200's next time. Jackson County looks fun. Thanks for everyones help and support and friendship...great tunout for the WV Crew on a hot evening.!
You did a good job! Looks like you are getting her dialed in. Thanks Charlie for giving this young man a good avenue to stay out of trouble "parent award". John do not get in trouble with that ricer you just got!

#26 ·
So who all is planning to go to Jackson County next weekend?:confused013: I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it or not :doh:

#28 ·
im in that same boat. as long as i make it back from a day trip up to ohio with the family to see my grandma i will be there hopefully:thumbsup: i'm drivin up there with my lil girl in the morning and should be back in town here around 4 or 5:confused013:

#30 ·
If anyone attended Putnam, who saw this pull? I am not sure who is dumber, the driver for not lifting when driving into a crowd or the crowd for not moving.

#31 ·
We all know this person, just not sure why he did not lift when he passed the full pull mark (flagger at fault also because he did not move with the truck) or when he saw he was driving into a crowd. IMO he was one bad weld from killing 8 people and injuring 20. Not a good way to end your sled pulling hobby.

#32 ·
:agree2:
i never was a big fan of this particular person but that stunt goes to show 2 things, his disregard for his "fans" safety and just how unorganized putnam county pulls are:stirpot: it is badass to pull that far without stopping but he shouldve considered the people and the folks that run putnam county pulls need to really reconsider where they allow people to stand. that area should be for drivers only and maybe 2 others with the driver, thats why its called the "pits".

#34 ·
and to add to my last post on this thread, putnam county police are also an obvious joke for not stepping in and moving the crowd away from the end of a track that has very powerful trucks comin towards em and like brian said are one bad weld away from bein a bullet on wheels jacked with steroids.

#36 ·
I have seen hitches break, chains break, etc. Anyone that has seen this knows that a truck will lunge 25-30ft, no matter if they are in 4low or not. Not a good idea to be 5ft in front of a truck at wide open throttle.

#38 ·
We will be at Jackson County

John is plannin on runnin the Burgundy Dually Sat. been tighting up stuff and got his wheel spacers on.. looks alittle funny till the bigger rubber gets on.

#40 ·
Here's a couple videos from Friday nights action

#41 ·
Ok, people that clearly don't understand the nature of such a powerful truck need to focus their worries on the true dummies here, the people that run the putnam pulls. It's been this way for years with several close calls with no changes to where the crowd is allowed. It's the same mess for the mud runs down there, turning a locked front end truck around with a buncha idiots in the way ain't fun, I know the feeling lol. I've personally seen hitches break and people get hurt and it's no fun, but don't blame the driver of 1,000+ horsepower truck for not stopping immediately it just can't be done. Ever felt your turbo surge and feel a small piece of what these trucks are capable of doing in that situation? Add that much power to the equation and you figure it out. Open class trucks don't even always have rear brakes if you get to lookin sometime. But you know what does? The sled. Blame the sled operator for not stopping too if you're gonna play the blame game, at least he's not trying to control an extremely powerful dangerous machine running wide open. We're supposed to stick together in the community, not tear anyone down. And as for the second video, it's obvious the left axle or hub broke in sone way and the truck just pulled right. No driver error there. Brian is a good personal friend and would help anybody and I just love to hear people talk poorly of him but he's the first they go to to get their truck worked on when a major problem comes up or if they have a question about anything relating to pulling or cummins trucks. When you guys hook and something breaks or happens to make you look bad, maybe someone will get it on video and chastise you. But I hope not, it doesn't feel good, and let's not stoop to that level here. If you wanna see the best run pull around go to Jackson county, where it's the driver of that truck running the show, with no spectators in the way and a great track with more trucks than just bout anywhere in the state.

#42 ·
Alright Guys Everyone Calm Down, we did not start this thread to Bash on anyone:S: we started this thread to talk about WV Cummins Crew Pulling and attended events. Chris keep your comments over on the other forum if you want to start an uproar :buttkick: Lead by example. What happened at Putnum Should Not Have and I think it was everyones fault. I personally would never hook at putnum county as long as spectators can gather that close to the end of the track. Anything can happen! :shock: We have alot people in our group on both sides of the fence about that driver, and thats normal in any sport! :blues: We are a group of people with a common interest and everyone is welcome here:thumbsup: I won't sit here and let people leave the group with hard feelings or not want to fly our LOGO. And now to get this back on topic Jessie and John what have you all done to get ready for Jackson County? :confused013:

#43 ·
Very well said brother! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#44 ·
If it werent for Brian we would be broken often and be broke financially..He has been a good friend to John and me and yes he is quite the crowd pleaser..Im sure he too would prefer folks be out of harms way after that episode.....Lets ALL have a good safe time at Jackson County and all events.

#45 ·
Ok, I understand nobody likes my idea of free speech on an open forum, and just because I was the one to start this chapter and am still the president, that I should be politically correct. There were many things wrong with the Putnam pull, and to me engine failure or the sled smacking my truck would be better than running someone over.

Jeremy, get ahold of Broke Down, put me back as a premium member, you have the top spot. Then I can say what I want without as much slander.

#46 ·
That's not what I'm looking for Chris:S:, just want to keep the conflict down locally so we can all get along at GTG's:thumbsup: Vannest seems to help out alot of our guys and is a known name in WV. That does not mean I would want to drop my truck off there and have it worked on. You know where most of my parts come from:thumbsup: You have done a great job getting the WV Chapter Started and I think if you didnt have to work 6 days a week on midnights:shock: and got to know some of the new guys in the crew things would be a little different:blues: That's something you can't help :kick:

If you think the sled pull at Putnum was set up poorly you should have saw the parking lot afterwards 3 hours of madness that included someone getting hit by a cop car :hehe: but then again who walks behind a cop car that is trying to weave in & out of parked cars with his lights on:rof

#47 ·
Sorry to cause the uproar, but when somebody says something about a good friend I am always gonna take up for em relentlessly. But i can get over it once my point is said, we all need to stick together and not tear eachother apart or any other competitors, that's not good sportsmanship in my opinion. Oh well let's get back to the subject at hand. Unfortunately I won't be pulling at Jackson county, things took a different turn for my machine and the motor is gettin tore apart. I may be there if I get a chance I might come help Brian run the show. My truck won't be back together until the end of next week at the earliest so I'm down for a little while but i've got some surprises up my sleeve this time so be ready. I may pull at meigs county I'm not sure, but I'll definitely be runnin the new setup at kanawha county fair and at the magic island pull. I'm so down about missing Jackson but I have to to get this motor put back together and do what I wanna do with the truck eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.