47RE Transmission Problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
47RE Transmission Problems

I would like to know how many have had any problems with the 47re mine has 70,000 + with no problems and every story I hear starts out "My cousins friends uncles fathers dodge with a Cummins and a 47re transmission broke down hauling a trailer or what ever";
What I want is who on this forum has first hand knowledge of a 47RE going bad?
What are the symptoms ?
What was done to correct the problem?
Have I just had good luck or is the 47RE failure a Myth! If so lets BUST IT;
CTD2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I had problems with the wifes Hemi with this tranny. At various times would just go into limp mode. At that time nobody understood what this was all about. Shut the truck off and restart it and it would go just fine until it did it again. Didn't leave any codes so Dodge said ther was nothing they could do about it.
99 Quad Cab, 4wd, Comp Box W/Pump Wire & Boost Elbow installed, K&N Air Canon, MBRP exhaust, Twin PE 4200 High Pressure Fuel Pumps W/Fleetguard inline filter, Isspro EV Pyrometer, Boost Guage, Fuel Pressure Guage, DT Pro Fab Trac Bar, South Bend 13-1.25 Con O Clutch, Royal Purple Synthetics all around

374.2/846.7 at 30psi
99 cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

So that had to be something in the electronic control if it would start working after being shut off and restarted? Did they ever find the problem or did it ever totally leave you stranded on the side of the road did this happen frequently or just sometimes? Im really looking for the catastrophic failure where there was nothing that would help short of a tow and a transmission overhaul. How many miles were on the truck when this started to happen? My Daughter has over 100,000 on her 2004 Hemi but she has the 48re with no problems.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I guess I can say my 47RE has been good to me. It's got 103,000 miles on it with fluid and filter changed regularly and the bands adjusted. Since the injectors and smarty were put in its now starting to slip in lockup and I know it's on its way out.

Time for a GB billet tranny.

Cumnspwr
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My problems were all right off the showroom floor. Frequency was totally at random, never could find a pattern. Sometimes several times a day and others it would go for days in between. Never did get it fixed, got rid of it and moved on. Dodge said they couldn't find the problem to fix it.
99 Quad Cab, 4wd, Comp Box W/Pump Wire & Boost Elbow installed, K&N Air Canon, MBRP exhaust, Twin PE 4200 High Pressure Fuel Pumps W/Fleetguard inline filter, Isspro EV Pyrometer, Boost Guage, Fuel Pressure Guage, DT Pro Fab Trac Bar, South Bend 13-1.25 Con O Clutch, Royal Purple Synthetics all around

374.2/846.7 at 30psi
99 cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

My troubles started with the TC slipping. When that started the rest went in about 3 months. The debris from the TC clutch was in everything.

JP
DieselDood is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

So I would have to say the 47re is a pretty good transmission because I only received 4 replies, one with 103,000 miles the other one was the TC going out and polluting the Trans. The other two seem to be intermittence that no one can figure out, I suppose that the 47re then is a pretty reliable trans
Thanks to all for your responses.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

mine has 97000 on it now without any problems, imop if the horspower stays within what the tranny can handle and the tranny is maintaned and not hammered on(powerbreaking and such everywhere you go) than it will probably be fine. the number one reason for tranny failure in my experience is fluid breakdown.

99 4x4 2500 longbed extra cab, 24 valve ctd, bhaf with outerwear and heat shield, edge juice with attitude , vulcan big line pump relocate kit with holley blue:thumbsup , mechanical fuel pres guage ,straight piped, automatic overdrive, 2 inch leveler lift, 17x10 ion rims with 315/70-17 bf goodrich at's ,bug shield, nerf bars, and other misc.:thumbsup

Last edited by guroo987; 10-16-2006 at 12:18 AM.
guroo987 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

So no one has had a catastrophic failure or knows of no one first hand having one, I am feeling this rumor was started by the guys of the lesser trucks!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

In 2003, we had 98.5 with low mileage, towing a 10k 5th wheel. We were just started pulling out of Watson Lake Yukon and the transmission failed. We had no warning - just died. The mechanic asked if we were using the OD and we were, but would turn it off on the hills. He said he's replaced lots and (mostly Dodges) because people would tow with the OD on. SO I got rid of the 98 and got a 2004 and tow with OD off!!
04cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Cool

I service mine every two years.

@ ~68k pulling my 5er the tc acted like it went into the "n" gear. I took it to the dealer who said there was nothing wrong. I wanted a second opinion. A buds dad has a freind who owns a trany shop, I trust him. I explained what happened. He said it was probably a sticky something in the vb, and indicated it was something seen on Dodges at times. I had him go through the trany and install a tc to handle the hp the truck currently puts out. He installed a shift kit and said the bands where in awsome shape, so he wouldn't touch them. Short answer, I had stuff done to make me feel better for towing my crap. I have no issues getting hp to the ground.

I'm now over 105k on the first VP44 and have no regrets.

Good luck all :thumbsup
jefff929 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Oh, and the reason the tc was slipping was some goon put DD2s and an EZ on the truck.

jefff929 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.