47RE Transmission Problems - Page 6 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #61 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Not sure but I there a great tranny. Mines a 98 and has over
600000km on it and the tc just went in it last week. So I think they are a great tranny I worked mine everyday with a 225' float trailer with a 9ton mini ex on it. And wasn't driven easy.
tutuffcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I put 107k on the original before losing second gear, then went through 2 Mopar rebuilds in 3 years. That was all before doing anything to add power. Now I have a Goerend "HD" rebuild. Best upgrade I've done!
S&B intake, MBRP 4" TBE, Smarty S-03 REVO, Goerend HD + billet, PacBrake, DDP 50hp sticks, Bank's monster ram, Raptor 100gph, 1/2" line tank to VP, boost elbow @32psi, ProWeld SuperCooler, ISSPro FP boost trans, Edge Insight, TC lockup switch, Sport headlights, AirLift 5000s, LoadController II
2011 Colorado 320BS-FW, 36', 12K lbs
Thanks Left Coast Diesel!
rasteck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #63 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I just pulled my 47RE out of my truck.... Its definitely never was touched since it left the factory when it was built new back in 1996.

It still worked fine but not effectively (mostly of how its built: sloppy torque converter, so soft shifting that I almost can't feel it).

It had AFC mods @ FF and #100 fuel plate and 16* timing on it for it's last 10,000 miles. Not a problem at all, even pulling a ~7,500lbs trailer up a hill at 35 psi boost at 70 mph (accelerating) with TCC locked.

However I understand the fact that chrysler's automatic transmissions have higher failure rate than most of other manufacturers but they can be made into a good trans.
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 CCLB 4WD. 4" Straight Pipe, Gauges,AFC Free Mods,TST AFC Spring Kit-Light Spring,No Plate,Mack Plug,4KGSK,295/70R17 3rd Gen. Alum Wheels,Ford knuckles,4340 35 Spline Inner/Outer Axle Shafts in the D60,105 Gallons Transfer Tank,WMO,Beefed 47RE.
TrailTamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #64 (permalink)

Most of you guys understand, but a few of you guys need to grow up..

Automatic transmissions in the automotive industry for the most part are problematic,
period.

Childishly talking crap and being dumb founded at why your cranked up tq monster destroyed its 100k+ mile auto trans makes me laugh.

When you crank anything up, you have to pay to play. I've had my trans out of my drag car 7 times in one season, but you'll never hear me crying about it.

My 12v tow pig, has 230k, auto trans fluid is not discolored, shifts fine, it fact its a dream to drive. I'm thankful and look forward to it every day. I drive it with sense, I don't hot rod it like all these retarded concrete farmers. If it left me stranded tom, I would man up and fix it, not whimper on here about what I knew was coming. Maybe you all should have done some research prior to your parents purchase.

These are good trucks overall, no truck is perfect, they all have their own pros and cons. Anyone that thinks these trucks are garbage over a single part is a fool. If your willing to throw dodge under the bus over this, don't let the door smack you on the way out and this forum will be a better place with out you. These problems can be fixed easily, its not dodges fault you are not capable and can't handle it.
dkgoodrich.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dkgoodrich.com For This Useful Post:
theBurlyone (10-18-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #65 (permalink)

47 Re Blown 40k on rebuild

Blew this thing away even with an HD 3 fin billet Torque converter. Lost ever gear up a hill today. Putting in an Allison A1000, pile of Chrysler transmission. 40k on a rebuild with fluid changes and filter and bands adjusted regularly. I'll never use another Chrysler trans again.

2000 2500 75 horse injectors and 120 comp hot 2nd vp at 178,000. 40k on rebuilt auto.

Last edited by MIsterE357; 10-17-2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: More Stuff.
MIsterE357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #66 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIsterE357 View Post
Blew this thing away even with an HD 3 fin billet Torque converter. Lost ever gear up a hill today. Putting in an Allison A1000, pile of Chrysler transmission. 40k on a rebuild with fluid changes and filter and bands adjusted regularly. I'll never use another Chrysler trans again.

2000 2500 75 horse injectors and 120 comp hot 2nd vp at 178,000. 40k on rebuilt auto.
lol, sounds like you didn't add a shift kit.....
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #67 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
lol, sounds like you didn't add a shift kit.....
Also look at all the added power and then bash the tranny that was NEVER built for anything like that? Never ceases to amaze me.
'01 QC 2500 long bed, 3:54 auto w/Dunrite VB & LU switch, untapped Comp, Scan gauge II, Raptor lift pump, fuel pressure gauge and trans temp gauge.
Russ Roth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Roth For This Useful Post:
pepsi71ocean (10-18-2011), theBurlyone (10-18-2011), Twistedcummins (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #68 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Roth View Post
Also look at all the added power and then bash the tranny that was NEVER built for anything like that? Never ceases to amaze me.
Oh I know, as I said in another post, it annoys the Crap out of me! Once you leave stock power levels it's on you. Dodge built it to handle what it had when it left the factory, so expecting it to hold up to more than that is not right. If you do expect that then when it breaks, don't come crying to us.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #69 (permalink)

tranny

I have a 99 24v 4x4 and i put five trannys in my truck. there is no warning when they go it just happens. the first 4 would stick in first gear. The lastest one just slips its off in 1 n2 gears. I even had dodge look at mine and they have no idea what the problem is they say tightn bands add coolers but they are temper mental turds. so does that any of ur horror storys.
chrisg450 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #70 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg450 View Post
I have a 99 24v 4x4 and i put five trannys in my truck. there is no warning when they go it just happens. the first 4 would stick in first gear. The lastest one just slips its off in 1 n2 gears. I even had dodge look at mine and they have no idea what the problem is they say tightn bands add coolers but they are temper mental turds. so does that any of ur horror storys.
take my advise, any dealership in jersey...run far far away.

I know more about our diesels then the Cummins certified mechanic does. if it doesn't show up on the start scan then they cannot fix it.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #71 (permalink)

Considering how well I treated the auto transmission?

How many of you "Gents" change the fluid in your 47re every 12,000-15,000 miles and adjust the bands? Do you know the proper band adjustment in a 47RE transmission? Anyways, you probably don't so moving on. Before you remotely call me "Stupid" and tell me I just beat the crap out of the transmission. I have never power braked the truck; I've never done a boost launch from a stop light. I've only pulled over 10k with it once, I pulled 22.5k with that truck on a Pintle with the auto in it. The most that was usually hauled around was a double axle with 5 quads on it. So tell me again how I "Abuse" the truck? I love it, but the auto transmission regardless is ing worthless. If you can't drive it with a stick you should probably not drive it. So guess what? Thanks for the bashing but you can all go and yourselves. It now has an NV4500 and a SBDD3600.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #72 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIsterE357 View Post
How many of you "Gents" change the fluid in your 47re every 12,000-15,000 miles and adjust the bands? Do you know the proper band adjustment in a 47RE transmission? Anyways, you probably don't so moving on. Before you remotely call me "Stupid" and tell me I just beat the crap out of the transmission. I have never power braked the truck; I've never done a boost launch from a stop light. I've only pulled over 10k with it once, I pulled 22.5k with that truck on a Pintle with the auto in it. The most that was usually hauled around was a double axle with 5 quads on it. So tell me again how I "Abuse" the truck? I love it, but the auto transmission regardless is ing worthless. If you can't drive it with a stick you should probably not drive it. So guess what? Thanks for the bashing but you can all go and yourselves. It now has an NV4500 and a SBDD3600.
i did, and did it my self, and i still only got 80K out of it, there is so much to learn about why the 47re failed that it is amazing.

im not trying to bash, but a triple disk torque converter without a valve body or a shift kit will not solve the first problem which is that the trannys have weak line pressure.

the 47re behind a gas engine in a racing application (of which it was devised from the 727 torqueflight) is a strong trans, and can handle the torque and HP, but the problem is it can't do it 1,200rpm's.

you can add all the clutches and kevlar bends you want but if your not getting 150-200psi at lock up your slipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.