I can't pull this trailer - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can't pull this trailer

I don't know what's going on, Cummins are built to pull. This past weekend I loaded my Chevy on my dad's 35' gooseneck and brought it home, 15 miles. My last truck, (2006 Mega Cab 3500 SRW, G56, 3.73, 37s), screamed in 5th trying to hold 65 mph. Before anyone blames it on the 37s, my current set up is 2006 Reg Cab 3500 DRW, G56, 3.73, 33s, and it had the same problem. Intake, exhaust, programmer were all the same on both trucks.

*This is my 4th 2006 Cummins, all have pulled this trailer the same*

Old truck, (didn't haul both, just wanted to see if they fit).

New truck. The Chevy was about a foot too far back, but it was fine.

-AFE stage 2 intake with S&B filter and filter and pre-filter
-4" straight exhaust, no cat, not muffler
-Bully Dog Triple Dog

This past weekend it was pretty windy and I was driving straight in to it. I also know that my chevy is like pulling a giant shoe box down the highway. 5th gear, pushing as hard as I could, trying not to smoke my clutch, I was holding at 1200*. Each tire and wheel on the Chevy weigh around 250 lbs, and the rockwells weigh 1100-1200 lbs each. The rest of the truck is just a small block Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, not that heavy.

I don't think the trailer is at fault? I've hauled the Chevy and a Jeep TJ on this trailer with my dad's Duramax, and it pulls it easy. It's not just his truck, he gets a new demo every 5,000 miles and I have pulled this with 6 of his trucks. I have also pulled the same set up on our shop truck, 2006 Reg cab 3500 DRW Duramax and it pulls it easy.

I would think that my black dually would tug this around all day long without breaking a sweat? Even unloaded, this trailer is a challenge to pull. I know it's a big heavy trailer, but should it be this hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dumb suggestion but I would assume that the plug is a six round, so I would check how the wires are hooked up for the brakes. I know i have hooked up to some trailers and the brake wire would be in the center instead of the side, and my brother rented a truck one time and it had 2 in the bed one was labeled old and the other new and those adapter things from 7 to 6 are all wired with the brake in the center. I have a 02n 2500 and I've pulled a 40ft, unloaded but able to pull it fine, and i see 3500 dully pulling them every day hot shoting. Like I said dumb suggestion but worth checking
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tennesse Chapter President

I was thnking the same thing about the plugs. Actually rewired a trailer wired for an older chevy to work with my dodge.

2011 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide

lap_traffic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Something is definitely wrong (with either the truck or trailer) if it's difficult to pull UNLOADED....
Old 04-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones85 View Post
Dumb suggestion but I would assume that the plug is a six round, so I would check how the wires are hooked up for the brakes. I know i have hooked up to some trailers and the brake wire would be in the center instead of the side, and my brother rented a truck one time and it had 2 in the bed one was labeled old and the other new and those adapter things from 7 to 6 are all wired with the brake in the center. I have a 02n 2500 and I've pulled a 40ft, unloaded but able to pull it fine, and i see 3500 dully pulling them every day hot shoting. Like I said dumb suggestion but worth checking
That's a good idea, and the first thing I checked. It's a 7 pin, both my bumper plug and bed are wired the same as the pigtail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonB View Post
Something is definitely wrong (with either the truck or trailer) if it's difficult to pull UNLOADED....
It's not "difficult," just heavier than I think it should feel. I'm not really complaining about it unloaded, I just threw that in there. I know it's a big trailer, and I'm going to know its back there. Comparing an automatic Duramax to a standard Cummins is apples to oranges, but it blows me away how my Dodge's have struggled hard and the duramax's cruise right along without a problem at all. It is tiring pulling this load with my dodge, and with my dad's truck, I have pulled 6 hrs up and down hills comfortably, never having to plan an ascent up a hill.

I've pulled trailers, (mainly with Chevy's), since I first started driving around in the pasture. The two 24 valves I've had got the job done, but I didn't pull anything this heavy with them. I see hay haulers with similar trailers, loaded down with round bales that have to be heavier than what I'm pulling.

I guess I need to have one of my friends that hauls heavy with his cummins drive mine and see what he thinks.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

What gear ratio did these Chevys have? And what tire size? It seems that your truck is not set up properly for heavy towing. Also, 1200 is not too high for egt and id suggest switching to a Smarty or EFI Live.
DieselPlower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

The Chevy's have 3.73 gears (same as mine), and 285/e BFG A/T that measure out to 32.5" (0.5" shorter than mine). I guess it's time to try out a Smarty, can't hurt. I've been meaning to get one, but I always end up buying something else truck related at the time.

I have not tried towing this load with stock tires. And my Chevy might weigh more than I think it does. I'll try it out with stock tires and take it to the nearest scales and see what's really going on back there.

I just can't believe the drastic difference between the two types of trucks. I am interested to know why; that is why I started this thread. I will get as much info as I can to help diagnose even further.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

It'd be easy enough to pull the trailer plug and take it for a small test run. Just be careful of the location since you'll have no brakes or brake lights. I'd find a back road and try it that way.

Mike
mikebol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,684 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
G56 with 3;73's is perfect for towing. I was dragging a 40 ft 8k flatbed around all the time and have had up to 21k on it and had no issues. sounds like something mite be hanging up in the drums on the trailer. I also think you carrying that truck to far back on the trailer.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage View Post
G56 with 3;73's is perfect for towing. I was dragging a 40 ft 8k flatbed around all the time and have had up to 21k on it and had no issues. sounds like something mite be hanging up in the drums on the trailer. I also think you carrying that truck to far back on the trailer.
I have a buddy with a 94 12v with 4.10s that will act about the same as my 07 g56 with 3.73s with a decent load behind it.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,684 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
The ratio on the g56 is the reason you cant find any with 4:10's unless they are done special. Its basically like have them with the ratio's in the tranny
Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
PA Cummins

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I'm betting, with the tires listed, that the speedo is at least 10mph off - if it's not been recalibrated for the larger circumference tires. .02
'99, 3500 12' Flat/Dump/Service Truck
'98, 3500XHD, "Tandem Ram", 22ft Flatbed, Tag Axle, 19,000 GVWR
1970 MoPar "Rapid Transit System" Collection
PA Outlaw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.