DOT numbers on side of truck - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
DOT numbers on side of truck

How do I know if I need them?
Do I need a CDL to have DOT numbers?
Do I need DOT numbers to have a CDL?
If I put DOT numbers on the side of my truck, do I count as a commercial vehicle (For use on Parkways that have "No Trucks" signs.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wont playwell with others

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,790 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
1) if your commercial and crossing state lines for commerce.
2 n 3 are the same question and the answer is no
No trucks is usually a weight issue, but it also depends on the cop
Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If you advertise a business name on your truck then you are commercial. Not sure on all states but commercial trucks have to have a DOT number. You can have a CDL without DOT numbers. If you use your truck to make money, example pull lawnmowers or a bobcat, they will consider you to be commercial. I have always had a CDL so I'm not to sure if you have to have a CDL to drive a commercial pickup. They have really cracked down on all these guys pulling lawnmowers and constuction stuff in Kentucky. You must carry commercial ins,log book,maintance records, DOT number,etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
What is a USDOT Number? - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Hypothetical situations that could happen with my truck:

1.) I'm driving to/from the track, hauling my track car... Somehow, I won a cash prize at the race.

2.) My buddy calls and tells me he blew a transmission, I go to haul his vehicle and he buys me a case of beer and slides me a $20 for fuel.

3.) I've got a load of drywall in the back. It's for a rental property that I'm fixing up, not for my own home.

In all three situations, technically, I'm getting some form of payment for using the truck. In a roundabout way, you can consider me making money with the truck... But I am not a company. Is this considered commercial use of the truck?

I am right on the edge of Virginia, into Washington D.C. and Maryland... Additionally, tracks I go to are located up and down the eastern seaboard. (Road Atlanta, Summit Point, Pocono Raceway, Carolina Motorsports Park, VIRginia International Raceway, Sebring, etc.) Let's say I'm hauling my buddy's car to/from one of those places... Or that I won at an out of state track.. Or that load of drywall was picked up at a Maryland store that was having a really good discount... Now it becomes Interstate Commerce... Does this change anything?

I'm definitely below the 26,001 lb limit required for a CDL. Trailer only has a 10,000 GVWR.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm trying to follow the letter of the law 100%, because I think the DOT guys make a good bit of money offa people who don't know any better.

Last edited by Pele; 03-08-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Pele is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

If the above 3 options are the most that you will be doing , then i think you shouldnt really bother with the hassle of the #s. DOT #s will only get you noticed more. Now, if youre really hauling more often and for pay (there is always a side B to a story) , then dont try to get by without the proper paper work and authority. It can and will catch up to you !
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

^

Nope, that's the most I'll ever be doing. I have a day job that pays the bills and if I need to drive for work, they provide the wheels.

Just making sure my ducks are in a row if I get pulled over by a trooper that's having a bad day.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
CO President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
Hypothetical situations that could happen with my truck:

1.) I'm driving to/from the track, hauling my track car... Somehow, I won a cash prize at the race.

2.) My buddy calls and tells me he blew a transmission, I go to haul his vehicle and he buys me a case of beer and slides me a $20 for fuel.

3.) I've got a load of drywall in the back. It's for a rental property that I'm fixing up, not for my own home.

In all three situations, technically, I'm getting some form of payment for using the truck. In a roundabout way, you can consider me making money with the truck... But I am not a company. Is this considered commercial use of the truck?

I am right on the edge of Virginia, into Washington D.C. and Maryland... Additionally, tracks I go to are located up and down the eastern seaboard. (Road Atlanta, Summit Point, Pocono Raceway, Carolina Motorsports Park, VIRginia International Raceway, Sebring, etc.) Let's say I'm hauling my buddy's car to/from one of those places... Or that I won at an out of state track.. Or that load of drywall was picked up at a Maryland store that was having a really good discount... Now it becomes Interstate Commerce... Does this change anything?

I'm definitely below the 26,001 lb limit required for a CDL. Trailer only has a 10,000 GVWR.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm trying to follow the letter of the law 100%, because I think the DOT guys make a good bit of money offa people who don't know any better.
Just tell them you are not making any money with said items and you will be fine. It is on them to prove otherwise which they will not take the time to do. Been down that road a few times with pull trucks.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDengine2 View Post
If you advertise a business name on your truck then you are commercial. Not sure on all states but commercial trucks have to have a DOT number. You can have a CDL without DOT numbers. If you use your truck to make money, example pull lawnmowers or a bobcat, they will consider you to be commercial. I have always had a CDL so I'm not to sure if you have to have a CDL to drive a commercial pickup. They have really cracked down on all these guys pulling lawnmowers and constuction stuff in Kentucky. You must carry commercial ins,log book,maintance records, DOT number,etc.
A vehicle with a company name on the side is commercial but as long as it doesnt meet the weight or hazmat requirements it doesnt require a dot #. Church buses and other 15 passenger vehicles require a cdlbut dont need dot #'s. If its used for a commercial purpose its the commercial ins thats needed by ins companies long before the dot #'s. Like i said before you dont need a cdl to drive joe blows lawn services truck and he doesnt need the #'s till he is over the weight requirements just the ins. You also dont need to run logs under a 150 air miles either. Maint records and such can stay at the office, you will how ever need a medical card for sure if your crossing state lines. Out of the 3 scenarios only the race care one would fall under the cdl stuff.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
How do I know if I need them?
Check the FMCSA site.

What is a USDOT Number? - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Quote:
Do I need a CDL to have DOT numbers?
No.

Quote:
Do I need DOT numbers to have a CDL?
No.
CHIEFIE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpage View Post
2 n 3 are the same question and the answer is no
How is it the same question?
CHIEFIE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

because in root form they aske the same question because how could one be yes and the other no. But yes i forget you are the king
mikeshauling (03-11-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.