Pickup camper with the hitch extension, how much weight will it hold? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > Specialty Forums > Towing & Hauling
Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Pickup camper with the hitch extension, how much weight will it hold?

I was hoping some one will chime in here, I want to know how much tongue weight will one of those hitch box's hold. I want to buy a bigger camper and still tow my horse trailer. the tongue weight on the trailer is 840 LBS. that seems a bit high to me. What do you know?
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I do not believe there is any way that you can safely tow anything with a tongue weight of more that a couple of hundred pounds or even that. All I have ever seen behind a truck camper rig is a small boat.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.

Last edited by Motorboat; 08-10-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Motorboat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ontario Chapter President

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverram323 View Post
I was hoping some one will chime in here, I want to know how much tongue weight will one of those hitch box's hold. I want to buy a bigger camper and still tow my horse trailer. the tongue weight on the trailer is 840 LBS. that seems a bit high to me. What do you know?
I'm kinda confused here, You wanna put one of them tool boxes that fit into your hitch reciever with another reciever on the back of it and THEN pull the horse trailer from behind that or kinda what I'm describing below??

At one time we yanked around a 31' bumper pull camping trailer AND a 10' enclosed golf cart trailer behind that, we did put a proper class 4 hitch on the back of the camping trailer and had 2 sway bars on the little trailer just in case.
GONE but never forgotten - 2001.5 24V QC SLT Laramie 2wd 47RE/3.55, LB, ICEBOX w/4510, FBD 4" turbo back w 5x18 SS tip, silencer ring MIA, FASS 150, IIS HRVP, DiPricol 30 psi FP guage, 1 qt 2 stroke EVERY tank!! 16.5481 @83.29mph on 7/7/07
My new ride - 09 Ram, For NOW .... it's got one of them damn HEMI'S in it.
CumminThru is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

^ He is talking about a slide in camper. The overhang on the rear of the camper precludes an easy way to modify the hitch on the truck.
'97 3500. 4X4 3:55s, built auto, vb and triple disc tc w/lockup. Boost, trans, pyro and F/P. Silicone hoses and boots. Icebox intake, 4" Diamondeye. 10 plate, 330s, 60# springs, 4GSK, Pacbrake. Mag trans and diff covers. Firestone Bags and 51 Gal. transfer tank.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ahhhhhhhhh .......Gotcha now Motorboat, :fist: they do make extensions that do mount from the truck reciever to the rear most portion of the slide in camper don't they??? I was looking at an 11' slide in a few years ago and wanted to bring my boat along as well, I'm sure the dealer I was at said they were pretty common for that exact purpose.
Load capacity would be up to individual manufacturers, I'd assume there may be different "classes" as there are in hitches. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup
GONE but never forgotten - 2001.5 24V QC SLT Laramie 2wd 47RE/3.55, LB, ICEBOX w/4510, FBD 4" turbo back w 5x18 SS tip, silencer ring MIA, FASS 150, IIS HRVP, DiPricol 30 psi FP guage, 1 qt 2 stroke EVERY tank!! 16.5481 @83.29mph on 7/7/07
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

You need a Superhitch. I've seen them before behind plenty of campers. It's basically a double reciever to keep it from flexing. I work with a guy that tows a 19' fiberglass boat behind his 96 F-350 PSD and an 11' Lance. 15k when he's loaded for the weekend. Pulls the hills at 65+.
I would look for a Superhitch. I'm not sure of the tounge weight that it's rated for but it's worth a shot.
msbweiland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I use a a regular 18" extention, but my tongue weight is pretty low (I don't know how much, but I can lift the tongue, so I know it can't be over 200 or so). This is towing an 18' jet-jon boat. The 90 hp 4 stroke on the back of it helps keep the weight down up front. I agree, you are probably going to need the Superhitch. Cabela's carries them, so you may want to take a look there to get the info on weight ratings for it.
-Steve 2003 SO CTD 3500 SLT QC SRW 4x4, NV4500 5-speed w/ Fast Coolers, Donaldson muffler, Commander w/ Xzillaraider, S&B Intake, Kore leveling, BD E-Brake, Hellwig Sway-Bar, ATS Arc-Flow, ATS exhaust manifold, HE351 turbo and Glacier GFS-392.
SteveinAK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

your reciever hitch is rated at 10,000 pounds, of which 10% of your trailer weight is onthe truck,...15,000 pound boat? 1,500 pounds onthe hitch, your actual hitch is more important. I would suggest B&@ select a ball it is rated for 10,000 per pin, and I have hauled as much as 18,000 on my bumper with it.

there are no good reasons to ever extend teh hitch too far past the bumper. every inch can add thousands of pounds of pressure on a bad road. I have seen plenty of reciever that are angled down from improper loading and extending of hitches too far back. if you are just going to the lake for the weekend, then probably alright, though your insurance company will not likely cover you for pulling tandems as i see all the time.]

Last edited by dodgerep; 08-10-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: mis read topic
dodgerep is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Thanks guys for the response.

The first pic is my current camper and horse trailer. My camper does not stick past the rear bumper. I want to buy a camper like that lance in the 2nd pic. That camper sticks 2 foot past the rear bumper. I want to know how to safely haul my horse trailer and the camper.
Like i said the horse trailer weights 4900lbs as is and has 840lbs of tongue weight.
I checked out the superhitch and it looks like it would work. They claim (12,000 lb. pulling capacity, 1,200 tongue wt. achieved only when used with weight distribution type system.) here is a pic of it also.
I did some searching and they are $763 on ebay.

Is there any other options available for less?

Last edited by silverram323; 03-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
silverram323 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverram323 View Post
Is there any other options available for less?
Post up in the vendors section, maybe one of our own will be able to set you up for less....:thumbsup

Personally I'm thinkin that setup should work fine.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Looks like it should work. That and Airlift (air bags) should get you down the road. You might get out the door for $1000.00.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My neighbor runs a 99 F-350 with a camper (11 ft.?) and pulls a 22' Cobalt boat. He had a fab shop build a hitch from that ran from the reciever to the bumper of the camper. It bolted on to the camper bumper also. It's a heavy solid piece with some gusseting. Has worked for him for years. No weight rating, but no problems so far. The superhitch is a good piece and should handle your load without rolling the dice.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.