Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Do the weights look Right??

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  utahtrapper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hay run's and always wanted to get the weights. This was a 6 level load last year did several 7 high loads. Which would add about 2,400 lbs more.
By my calculations 14,440 lbs on a 7k trailer
So do the Steer axle, Drive axle, and trailer axle, #'s look good?
Bottom ticket empty with trailer, Top ticket loaded but missing passenger he could not wait for the restroom. So missing 180lbs. Would have been over 30k The pic in the avatar is a 7 high load.

The Bottom Pic is with 7 rows and should gross 32.5k according to the ticket 6 row ticket.

Any suggestions on weight distribution?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Correct I was figuring the weight I added to the trailer. The trailer is rated for 20k with dual tandem 8 tires 10k oil bath axle's so even when I add the 7th row I should be around 21k give or take a couple hundred.
The weight distribution across all the axle's from an unloaded trailer to a loaded trailer does that look right between the 2 tickets?

#5 ·
That's a pretty well balanced load, I am a little surprised it only added around 1500 lbs to the drive axle.

#6 ·
I agree.
It seems to have only added 212 lbs to the drive axle per ton on the trailer.
Glad I did it once and for all and now know.
Cost was only 11.00 for 1st weigh and 2.00 for the second so not to bad.

#7 ·
That looks like a 20+5 trailer like I have, mine weighs 6500 lbs
Your scale ticket shows 5520 trailer axle weight which puts nearly 1000 lbs on the truck for around a 15% weight transfer which is about right.
What's not adding up is when loaded it's only transferring around 10% of the loads weight to the truck, my poor math says there should be another 700 lbs on the trucks drive axle.
Did you load all of the heavier bales on the back. (Joke)
I've got a bunch of round bales to move soon and will be going right by a set of scales, you have me wondering what the weight transfer % is to my truck when loaded, I was assuming the normal 15-20% for a goose neck trailer, I've weighed a few loads to get the gross weight, but never axle weighed this trailer

#8 · (Edited)
LOL we just start stacking and wish they would get lighter by the end not heavier.

Now that you mentioned it I may have the neck of the trailer 1 hole higher than I should.
Setting empty the trailer does look alittle raised in the front. Could that do it?
Although the empty weights look right from the scale ticket.
All 8 tires on the trailer are G Rated thou for added safety.
I have blown rear tires on a living quarters horse trailer when I had it set to high in the front.
Look forward to seeing your scale weights for a comparison.
Yes it is 25 ft with 3 fold down ramps adding the 5 extra feet. With moving more hay these days I welded a flat plate on hinges to give me a level deck with no gaps for all 25 ft.

#9 ·
I always learned that unloaded, the front of the trailer should be about 1 inch above level. That way when you are loaded you should be level.
Like I said, that's what I always learned.

#10 ·
Well Thank You sir
That is how this one is setup.
Looking forward to your numbers.
Have a safe trip

#11 ·
You are welcome. I have yet to have a trailer weighed. Then again, I drag horses around more than anything else. Well horses & 7,500 pounds of alfalfa oat cubes....

Reactions: utahtrapper
#12 ·
So in the first pic of this post I have the truck and trailer weights unloaded and then loaded with 234 bales and grossed 29,860 lbs in June of 2017.
These pic are of today's load June 2018 with 234 bales and they averaged heavier. I Grossed 31,400 lbs pulled the same 6% grade for 12 miles out of Helper UT to the top of soldier summit. With the new BBI Tow Injectors never had to drop down less than 4th gear. I am very impressed with my truck and the New BBI injectors my egt's were down at least 150 degrees never broke 1300 degrees and WOW did she pull strong.

Attachments

Reactions: Martin_BBI
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.