Cummins Diesel Forum banner

3500 Towing Specs

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  GAmes 
#1 ·
Hi first of all. This is my first post, but certainly wont be my last. I recently bought a 2011 3500HD 6.7L Laramie Crew cab with 4.1 Gear Ratio DRW Long Box. The dealership led me to believe that the truck is rated to tow 22,000lbs on the rear and 27,000lbs on the 5th. Looking at the receiver the other day made me wonder if they were correct. As far as I can tell it has an OEM hitch on it which is a Class IV, but when I looked for a manufacturers name there wasnt one to be found, just some numbers stamped in it. Looking up a variety of Class IV hitches, it would seem the largest I can find only has a weight rating of 16,000lbs. So now I am really confused. Why put a hitch that can only take a max weight of 16k if the truck can take 22k? So before I go spend $$ and have the hitch replaced so I know for certain what its capable of hauling, does anyone know definitevly where I can find;

The towing capacities for 5th and weight distribution for this truck?
The weight capacity of the OEM hitch thats on the truck?

The dealership has been useless for information, and a near by shop that does hitch and brake controller installs is just as lost as I am.

I'm debating on installing a Class V if I can find one that fits my truck and if the dealership was correct about it capable of hauling 22k.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
So they told you a bunch of crap. The stock hitch on my11 is rated for only 10000 pounds. And for what it's "able to tow" that's up for debate. My opinion is, follow the law, don't exceed your axle, wheel, tire, or hitch rating and the truck should do fine

#4 ·
Ok, that helped out for sure. According to the info in that link, mine is good for 19,400lbs. So looks like i will have to change the hitch to reach those weights. Still doesnt make sense why they would install such a light duty hitch when its capable of so much more.

#5 ·
I just briefly looked at that link but I think you are confused about some things.

I think 19.4K is what Dodge says is your towable weight rating, with a GOOSENECK trailer, 27K is your over all GCWR that includes the trucks weight+ that 19.4K trailer weight. Your class 4 reciever hitch is for pulling small stuff, basically trailers 10K and lighter. You would have a hell of a time trying to pull a receiver hitch tongued trailer that weighed 19K. Anyone that is towing more than 10K behind them is usually using a gooseneck trailer.

#8 ·
Check your door tag for your trucks GCWR.
You can look on Home | Dodge Body Builder's Guide for estimated base weights too but each rig is different after you add your stuff to the cab and the bed so best to hit a scale such as a nearby CAT Scale.

#11 ·
Don't get hung up on class IV, class V, etc. There isn't an industry standard, so one manufacturers "class IV" can be another's "class V". I have heard that the hitch rating is in the owners manual in the newer trucks. Mine had a tag on it that showed it's max weight ratings, with and without a weight distribution hitch. I replaced it with an after market 2" receiver with almost double the ratings.

#12 ·
I would look closely at the threads about the factory hitches and they're poor welds, and quality. There are lots and lots of stories. And of course is typical a salesman knows NOTHING about our trucks. I'm not sure how they keep their jobs.

If I were pulling anything over 7500 I would upgrade to an aftermarket hitch.

#13 ·
From my experience the failures occur to overloading the hitch weight ratings. Trailer weight ratings are certified, so if the hitch is rated for 10,000 pounds, with a W/D there isn't an issue towing up to that much. It is towing the same 10,000 pound trailer without a W/D, which drops the rating to 5000, that causes receiver failures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.