Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

416Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,176 Times in 2,188 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Camping

I did a search and didn't find anything similar, and I know there are real camping forums, but I figured I'd give it shot and start a thread for all things camping. Where have you stayed, what campgrounds do you like/dislike. Any cool trips planned or taken recently? Where ya from, where ya going, how ya getting there, what's your set up?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I've got a 2015 Lacrosse 336bht, just got it this year. First travel trailer. Bought it at the end of summer so we haven't done too much. Stayed in Oklahoma in it after I bought it, did a test/break in trip close to home at Yogi Bear, currently have camp set up in Minnesota at a real nice campground near Rochester. The big trip we are planning next year is a tour of the western states for a week or so.

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #3 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Just picked up our 2013 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel a few weeks ago. Took a trip to a local campground (50 miles) last weekend, and hoping to do a couple more small weekends like that before we close for the year. We have already booked a spot at a campground in Myrtle for next summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to camarochevy1970 For This Useful Post:
BobSagetIsGod? (10-15-2015)

post #4 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:51 PM
RACE KTM

Garage
We mostly "boondock" at the VCHSS races all over VA. In fact in the last 4 years of owning a toy hauler, we've only camped at TWO locations with hookups. That's how you put 600 hours on a generator in two years.
Ynotturbo and Dogpatch like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
16 Mega DRW, Aisin, 4:10s, Fuel wheels, Nitto Mts, Promaxx LEDs.
2015 Jeep GC SRT.
2014 Jeep GC Overland Diesel
1986 Jeep CJ-7 Last of the real Jeeps!!
2012 Shelby GT500...Borla Axle backs, TVS blower, JLT 127mm intake, Ford Racing 65mm TB, AFCO dual-fan HE, and Forgestar CF-5 wheels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NC4stroker For This Useful Post:
BobSagetIsGod? (10-15-2015), Slats Extend (05-15-2016), w6pea (10-16-2015)
post #5 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

I've thought about a generator, for that exact purpose.

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #6 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Cummins Fanatic

NC4stroker, You have an outstanding looking rig setup.

Our Generator came in handy camping when cat 1 hurricane came ashore in Melbourne Fl in 2012. Only had to use it a few hrs though till power came back up.

2008 2500 HD 4x4 6.7 CTD 68RFE. 4:10 Gears. AFE Stage II W/PG7. 275/70/R18 Nitto Trail Grappler on DCII rims. Reese 15k 5th Wheel Pulling a 2007 Heartland Cyclone 3795
United States Army, Retired
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodgetracker For This Useful Post:
NC4stroker (10-17-2015)
post #7 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Cummins Nut

We have a 25' TT, it is an easy pull for us. Tend to stay at the National/State parks in the west but planning a big trip to Glacier/Canada next year. Might move up to a 5th wheel before the trip. Would love to have a bigger shower!
Just did the southern coast of California a couple months ago. Some hook ups and some non hookup sites along the coastal highway.
Nice thing about an RV, if you don't like your spot just move. And it works the other way for us too. If we love a place, we go no further. Great adventures.

2007.5 Ram 3500 SRW/QCLB Big Horn,Edge CTS Juice w/Attitude, S&B CAI,Pace Edwards bed cover w/Transferflow 37 gal. fuel tank and Ranchhand Legend bumper w/skidplate, BFG TA/KO 285/70/17, 3.73 gears and 68RFE Auto Trans. Bilstein 5100's
The Following User Says Thank You to Livermorenick For This Useful Post:
sierra nevada (10-16-2015)
post #8 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Cummins Nut

We've owned our Heartland Trail Runner 30' bunkhouse trailer since April of 2011.

We have been seasonal campers all but one season since owning it. I try to get it onto the site in such a way where I only need to hook up and go if we want a weekend away.

I've camped at Road America and the Milwaukee Mile and various private campgrounds in southern Wisconsin and as far north as the Dells area. Getting out of the state somewhere is on my "Bucket List" and we will some day. We bought the travel trailer with the term TRAVEL in mind, not to pitch it on a permanent site and let it rot. It is for the reason of travel that I bought my Dodge.

Definitely look into armed forces weekend at the private campgrounds. Sometimes, they will let you stay for free if also reserving for Memorial Day weekend.

Your profile says "Northwestern Illinois". We got the May special at Crazy Horse Campground just a tick west of Beloit, Wi.

Someday, when we decide to plan a long trip, we are looking to be on the road from day to day for not more than six hours. You can go pretty far in that amount of time and still be able to set up and burn wood and enjoy a fire in the evening, and then in the morning not having to rush out of the campground for the next day's ride.

'07.5 6.7 2WD G56 Quad Cab 8' bed. Mods: ccv delete, Banks snorkel, Edge Juice W/Attitude display.
Tows a 30'TT roughly two times / month during the summer season.
post #9 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by timflury View Post
We've owned our Heartland Trail Runner 30' bunkhouse trailer since April of 2011.

We have been seasonal campers all but one season since owning it. I try to get it onto the site in such a way where I only need to hook up and go if we want a weekend away.

I've camped at Road America and the Milwaukee Mile and various private campgrounds in southern Wisconsin and as far north as the Dells area. Getting out of the state somewhere is on my "Bucket List" and we will some day. We bought the travel trailer with the term TRAVEL in mind, not to pitch it on a permanent site and let it rot. It is for the reason of travel that I bought my Dodge.

Definitely look into armed forces weekend at the private campgrounds. Sometimes, they will let you stay for free if also reserving for Memorial Day weekend.

Your profile says "Northwestern Illinois". We got the May special at Crazy Horse Campground just a tick west of Beloit, Wi.

Someday, when we decide to plan a long trip, we are looking to be on the road from day to day for not more than six hours. You can go pretty far in that amount of time and still be able to set up and burn wood and enjoy a fire in the evening, and then in the morning not having to rush out of the campground for the next day's ride.

There's a lot around the dells. Good for the kiddys too if you have to keep them occupied.

Just got back from Rochester MN. Stayed at autumn wood just south of town by the airport. Great quiet little place. We were up there for more "business" than pleasure. Had some check up appointments at the hospital. Would recommend autumn wood if you like a nice, quiet, clean, small camp ground. Conveniently located. BUT, it's close to Rochester, and there main clientele are there for medical reasons. So if your looking for a party, I'd suggest somewhere else. I like quiet. No fires though.

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #10 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Diesel Head

My camping is always boondock style. Bring the generator but rarely use it. I camp in the woods and fields for trail riding or enduros or harescrambles or dual sports. Bring my 4 legged friend Buddy and the Gf. Always have a good time and even when it's just the 3 of us that I know at an event always meet a great group of people. I honestly bought my travel trailer for a hot shower after a ride. I still tent camp occasionally and still love it. It's just easier with the camper as it stays packed and doesn't have too be unloaded like the truck when tent camping. Most event have a large community bon fire and during the races the wife's gfs and peoples kids usually get involved or hang out and talk. So the camper is basically for sleeping and a shower. But I don't regret buying it one bit.
slpcrf450x likes this.

04.5 Silver 3500 Quad Cab, Long Bed, Dually, 4X4, NV 5600, Intake Horn, Bully Dog Triple Dog, High Idle, FASS 150/150And A MANIAC Behind The Wheel!
post #11 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head

Just got all winterize. You don't fill the hot water heater with antifreeze correct? Instructions say it will ruin the anode. I just drained and bypassed it.

'10AIRSOLD
'14AIR-FUELSOLD
'17
post #12 of 900 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Cummins Nut

It's better to leave the anode rod out over the winter. I recently purchased one of these,

Item

I'm going to give it a shot and see how much crap collected in the water heater over the past five seasons.

Even though yours is still brandy new, there are plenty of service videos to watch on the you tube.

'07.5 6.7 2WD G56 Quad Cab 8' bed. Mods: ccv delete, Banks snorkel, Edge Juice W/Attitude display.
Tows a 30'TT roughly two times / month during the summer season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode