Towing & Hauling Discussion of Towing & Hauling Habits

408Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #865 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM
08 Cummins

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrend View Post
We're actually about to list our 5th wheel for sale, to replace it with a slide in truck camper. Our 5th wheel is just to big for what we're wanting to do. It requires so much planning in advance that we can't really just take it and go. It's also not worth taking it out for an overnight.

With that said, my wife still almost cries every time we mention it lol. We got everything we wanted, was just more RV than we needed.

Right now, we're considering two options, the Host Rainier 9.6 or an Eagle Cap 850.

Host: (Different Name, but same Camper)

Eagle Cap:

It was a bit of an eye opener last night, when I noticed I was around the length of a Semi parked next to me..

I've been looking at truck campers for the last two years and have been in just about everything on the market. The Eagle Cap are nice campers but they felt kind of cheap to me. I really like the Host campers though. To me they actually feel like a very nice camper.

I got to talk to the Host General Manager, Randall, at the Seattle RV show last week. Host seems very willing to work with their customers. They don't just mass produce campers. They build two units a week and it sounds like most of them are being built for specific customers. Sounds like they have a lot more options available than what it listed on their web pages or brochures at the dealer. If you are really interested in a Host, I recommend you give them a call. They are open to touring their manufacturing facility as well to see how their campers are built. I plan to make a trip down this summer to take a tour.

I plan to order a Host Mammoth as soon as I figure out what I'm doing with my truck.

Duane

2008 Ram 3500 QuadCab
Hamilton 103# Springs & HD Pushrods, ARP 2000s, EFILive, SB 3250 DD
2014 Jetta TDI 6 SPD Manual

Last edited by KhakiCummins; 02-16-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #866 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Cummins Fan

Great thread guys. Hoping to post up some camping pics as soon as things dry out a bit up here in the northwest.
BobSagetIsGod? likes this.

01 4x4 quad cab long box, lots of stuff (sold)

2012 CCSB 3500 Leveled,Black Maxx,Flo pro,OPT7 led high/low bulbs
post #867 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,578 Times in 2,633 Posts
Poke my nose in here ..
New i-go 25ft double side

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
BobSagetIsGod? likes this.

2016 4x4 3500 Laramie CCLB LOST MY EXHAUST SO I HAVE AN 18 INCH RESONATOR AND EGRDELETE.. ALSO HAVE EFILIVE BY PPEI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.42 rear ,68 trans TUNED BY PPEI
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #868 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Lifetime Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog1 View Post
Poke my nose in here ..
New i-go 25ft double side
Um we're gonna need pitchers Jeffdog

Gerry
2011 white Ram crew cab short box, Viair, train horns, Amp bed step
2010 Sandpiper 345RET, 40ft 5th wheel
post #869 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Diesel Head

Sorry late to the party...
The bath is huge for a 25 footer

2016 4x4 3500 Laramie CCLB LOST MY EXHAUST SO I HAVE AN 18 INCH RESONATOR AND EGRDELETE.. ALSO HAVE EFILIVE BY PPEI
post #870 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Lifetime Thread Hijacker

Very nice wagon man, outside entertainment n all ....... happy camping

Gerry
2011 white Ram crew cab short box, Viair, train horns, Amp bed step
2010 Sandpiper 345RET, 40ft 5th wheel
post #871 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhakiCummins View Post
I've been looking at truck campers for the last two years and have been in just about everything on the market. The Eagle Cap are nice campers but they felt kind of cheap to me. I really like the Host campers though. To me they actually feel like a very nice camper.

I got to talk to the Host General Manager, Randall, at the Seattle RV show last week. Host seems very willing to work with their customers. They don't just mass produce campers. They build two units a week and it sounds like most of them are being built for specific customers. Sounds like they have a lot more options available than what it listed on their web pages or brochures at the dealer. If you are really interested in a Host, I recommend you give them a call. They are open to touring their manufacturing facility as well to see how their campers are built. I plan to make a trip down this summer to take a tour.

I plan to order a Host Mammoth as soon as I figure out what I'm doing with my truck.
I've debated trading my truck in on a long bed.. I just can't bring myself to do that. We're looking at taking a trip to Austin to see a wide range of TC's, it's the nearest dealer with more than a single brand. It's also the only host dealer within seven hours. I wouldn't mind a factory tour, but that's a 24 hour drive per direction for me, so I don't see it happening all that soon.

I did play with a spec sheet, I'm curious if I'm going to be able to get much of a deal out of a dealer on one. Due to the rarity of TC dealers, it seems like we might be hard pressed to get one to give us a RV-typical rate. I'm also looking into adding a Torklift Magnum to my 3500, I really want the ability to tow my 10k trailer if we go this direction. We just have to find something we can both be happy with.

2015 Laramie 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 DRW Maximum Steel
Aisin | 4.10 | 5th/Goose Prep | Air Assist | Ranch Hand | Warn 12,000
post #872 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Trucker View Post
Yes the full bath rm is nice, depends on the type of camping you do,
if the park has a shower then you done need one I guess
The plan is to avoid parks. I'm shooting for BLM and boondocking. That's been my drive to get a TC. My 3500 is surprisingly able to negotiate more mud and worse terrain while carrying a heavy payload and trailers. In fact just Wednesday I pulled my 5th wheel through a muddy, hole covered swamp of a field. Aside from a bit of sliding it didn't seem to bother it at all.

I want to be able to load up the Jeep and head to Moab for a week, or my wife's Ooutback and head to Pensacola or the Black Hills. Park in a family members driveway and avoid the multitude of diseases we always catch from their kids. The goal is to be self reliant and be able to go with zero planning.

If we do decide to go to a park, I like the idea of not having to call ahead to see if one of the three out of 70 spots that we can fit in is vacant to. We can always set up in the tent area, or fit in the smallest RV spots that are almost always open.

It'll also be nice to be able to keep it at home. I don't even want to try to get my 5th wheel to my neighborhood, let alone into my caldsac lol

post #873 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Diesel Head

Just so you have leg room to crap is a winner .. ..
All kinds of nowhere to camp .. my wife knows how to get there..

post #874 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Diesel Head

Only thing that kept me from a truck camper when I was looking was all the crap I have in my toolbox. I'm not emptying it to get the tool box out to get the camper in.

And I guess there is another. Bought a 25 foot toy hauler and now me and the gf and the dogs are comfortable when we are sleeping or if it's crappy out.

04.5 Silver 3500 Quad Cab, Long Bed, Dually, 4X4, NV 5600, Intake Horn, Bully Dog Triple Dog, High Idle, FASS 150/150And A MANIAC Behind The Wheel!
post #875 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog1 View Post
Just so you have leg room to crap is a winner .. ..
All kinds of nowhere to camp .. my wife knows how to get there..
I'm also worried about breaking the plastic toilet in the smaller ones.. lol My wife just can't wrap her head around showering standing over the toilet.

As for the wife, reminded me of something else I won't miss.. *Pitch Black* "No come over this way".. "This way isn't a direction" "Towards me, This way!" "And which black space would that be?.." lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by macko300exc View Post
Only thing that kept me from a truck camper when I was looking was all the crap I have in my toolbox. I'm not emptying it to get the tool box out to get the camper in.

And I guess there is another. Bought a 25 foot toy hauler and now me and the gf and the dogs are comfortable when we are sleeping or if it's crappy out.
My truck bed has remained pretty empty surprisingly. I think that's mostly due to the shortbed with the B&W hitch however.
Ontario Trucker likes this.

post #876 of 887 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Diesel Head

My dogs drove us away from a slide in camper...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode