Michelin LTX A/T2 or BFG A/T KO or Nitto Terra Grappler - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > Tires & Wheels Forum
Tires & Wheels Forum Discussion of Tires and Wheels...pretty obvious, eh?

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

View Poll Results: Which Tires?
Michelin LTX A/T2 19 19.79%
BF Goodrich A/T KO 28 29.17%
Nitto Terra Grappler 49 51.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Michelin LTX A/T2 or BFG A/T KO or Nitto Terra Grappler

1996 Dodge 2500 4WD LB The stock tires are LT245/75R16. I want a little larger tire. I'm considering a LT265 or LT285/75r16 from the above manufacturers. The prices are all about the same, $920 out the door at Costco.
I live in Florida and my driving is mostly paved road, however sometimes in the woods and sugar sand. I don't want to get stuck in the event of off road evacuation in a storm. Fuel economy is somewhat important, noise is not as the diesel noise is fine anyway. Any advise is helpful. Can I go to the above larger sizes with a 6" wheel? Thanks.

Last edited by HoundDog7; 02-03-2013 at 07:22 PM.
HoundDog7 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I have been a Michelin man for a long time. Always ran them on my Suburbans (and cars) the A/T models over years. Never a flat or did I get stuck and drove them coast to coast, Mexico to Canada. They always timed out on me before I wore them out. I heard they do tend to crack at about 6 years and that was my experience.

That being said I just went to BFG TA KO 285/70/17 E, Michelin does not make this size tire in the A/T in a load range E so I didn't have the option. I like the tire so far but haven't towed with it yet. My tire guy runs them on his 4x4 and loves them. It is also rated for extreme weather, it sure looks agressive on the truck. In one weekend I had 3 strangers tell me how good they looked on my truck. Stock on my truck was 265/70/17. My shop already adjusted my speedo too.

The tires are plenty stiff even at 60psi front and 50psi in the back. No wondering around or that floating feeling. Figured I might put some extra psi in the back when I tow. They are rated to 80psi but I don't think I will need to go there for my loading.

Wish I had 10k on them so I could give you a better wear idea. Way better in the snow than the OEM Michelin A/S tires and the same ride quality.
2007.5 Ram 3500 SRW/QCLB Big Horn,Edge CTS Juice w/Attitude, S&B CAI,Pace Edwards bed cover w/Transferflow 37 gal. fuel tank and Ranchhand Legend bumper w/skidplate, BFG TA/KO 285/70/17, 3.73 gears and 68RFE Auto Trans. Bilstein 5100's
Livermorenick is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Livermorenick For This Useful Post:
NorCaler (02-06-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Michelin LTX A/T2 or BFG A/T KO or Nitto Terra Grappler

I've had terra grapplers and the bfg's. Both good Tres in my experience but my bfg's and several of my friends sets of bfg's for that matter all wore kinda funny even with regular rotation and proper inflation. Overall I preferred the nittos by a pretty large margin as they got just about as good of traction and wore much more evenly as well.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

the nittos r bricks! ive had 2 sets and they wear so slowly it s krazy. had 38,000miles on them on my 05 that i sold and they had an honest 20k to go. i just picked up some 315/75/16s used for 110bucks and they have plenty of tread left. love those nittos!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Had 315/70/17 BFGs on, they burned up pretty fast. Now i have Yokahama Geolander AT-S in the same size on her now. Love them.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Company Name

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Love my BFG'S listed in signature below. I don't have one thing to complain about on them. Super quiet ride, yet they look aggressive and tow our 31 ft travel trailer very nicely.
NorCaler is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCaler For This Useful Post:
Livermorenick (02-09-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
ordo ab chao

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayouCummins View Post
Had 315/70/17 BFGs on, they burned up pretty fast. Now i have Yokahama Geolander AT-S in the same size on her now. Love them.
Same here, I have had both BFG AT's and MT's both are soft compound tires. I was lucky keeping them balanced and rotated to get 30000 miles a set.
I have had great on road luck with Michelin's even in the winter for traction. If you drive off road in the sand then a all terrain tire theoretically should not pack up the treads unlike straight mud.

Either BFG's AT or Michelin AT should serve you well in the sunshine state.
2007.5 3500 MegaCab SRW Khaki 6.7 Auto, Debadged, H & S Race Mini Max with 68FE shift software mounted overhead, 5" Flo Pro SS TB SP with Torquetight SS band clamps, MBRP's SS 7 inch tip, CD Steering Brace, GDP S3 Intake,GDP MKII & Cat Filter, GDP CC Vent Kit, AEM CAI, Bilstein stabilizer and 5100 shocks, 315/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's on factory spoke alloys, EGR Vent Visors, Westin 4" SS Tube Steps, Bully Tail Gate Lock, Husky Floor Liners and Weathertec Mats, Husky Black Aluminum Tool Box, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps.
Motorolanut is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I have had a set of Michelin's, a set of BFG's and now the Nitto's. Much better traction, handling, wear, mileage, and looks with the Nittos. I will certainly buy another set next time around. Great for mud & snow here in the Buckeye State.......
Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

for what it is worth.
my work truck is an 02 ccsb duramax 4x4 fully loaded. have a cap on the back with the side pockets there full. bed has a pull out tray and its maxed right around 1500-2000 lbs. since august of last year we have put 50,000+ miles on the Michelins. yea we drive alot. the rears had maybe 1/4-3/8 tread and fronts were half easily. i just got two new rears. the only reason was with dot we dont need any reason for them to hit us. all we do it drive. just food for thought, i really like the tires, have not used 4x4 in any of the snow and ice yet.
mattswaggs (02-16-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,347 Posts
Highly recomend checking out Toyo AT II. Need to see them in person. They are still a new tire but they claim higher mileage than the competition.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.