Putting a tube in a tubeless tire?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > Tires & Wheels Forum
Tires & Wheels Forum Discussion of Tires and Wheels...pretty obvious, eh?

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Putting a tube in a tubeless tire??

Hi guys,

I've never had to do this or be in a situation where I would have to do this until now. I was traveling and had stopped to get some lunch. I knew that I needed some new tires soon, so I've been looking through the classifieds in the newspapers whenever I stop looking for some decent deals. Well, I came across a set of 4 BFG MTs KM 35x12.50x17 with 60-70% tread for $225 for the set. I called him up, and the guys girlfriend had bought him the newer BFG KM2s for their anniversary so he was selling these to get them out of his garage.

I was fairly close, so I asked if he had anyone else thinking about getting them. He had someone coming in about 1 hour. So I hauled you know what and got there before the other guy and snagged them really quick. I didn't have the time to inspect them really thoroughly before I left.

Well, turns out one of the tires has a cut in the sidewall. It's a pretty good sized one as well (about 1-1.5 inches). I called a local tire shop to see what could be done, and they said about the only thing would be to put a tube in it.

So, what are the problems with doing this? Safety? What about if I need to tow something? Will going off road be a problem?

I would just buy a new tire, but it looks like they have stopped producing them in this size. I've only been able to find them at one place online and they are backordered.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by nGoldenm; 03-03-2009 at 02:58 PM.
nGoldenm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The only issue i can see being possible is with the torque these trucks put out, you may actually "spin" the tire over the tube. If that were to happen you would tear the valve stem and be putting the spare on along side the road. I dont think i would be to torn up about it myself though!
2006 flame red ctd auto quadcab shortbed 3:73's 4x4
GusFlame06 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFlame06 View Post
The only issue i can see being possible is with the torque these trucks put out, you may actually "spin" the tire over the tube. If that were to happen you would tear the valve stem and be putting the spare on along side the road. I dont think i would be to torn up about it myself though!
So, as long as I put it on one of the front non drive wheels I should be good, correct?

I should probably take this chance to buy another one as soon as I can find one to replace this bad one with. Then use the bad one to replace my stock spare.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

it should be ok. its what we do with tractors
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Guppy View Post
Well then, I'll just have them mounted and put the tube in this weekend. Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Guppy View Post
Does your tractor go down the highway at 70mph?

Having a cut in the sidewall is scary, id get a new tire if it were me. I really have no experience with tubes in on-road vehicle tire, didnt even know they did that, but I wouldnt take the chance of having that sidewall come apart on the highway, might end up being a more costly mistake than a $250 tire...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
have to make sure your tube isnt rated for 25 mph or lower, otherwise should be fine. Semi's use to run tubes back in the day, with them good ol split rims.
partyshortbusdriver is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyshortbusdriver View Post
have to make sure your tube isnt rated for 25 mph or lower, otherwise should be fine. Semi's use to run tubes back in the day, with them good ol split rims.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. At one time, didn't all tires run tubes? Granted, there is a reason that we don't run tubes today... The tire shop will be installing the tube, so I would hope that they wouldn't put a tube in rated for less than 25 mph.

So, I've got 3 votes yes and 1 vote no. Anybody else?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

can i they not put a patch on the inside!!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05whitegoat View Post
can i they not put a patch on the inside!!
I suppose they could, but I know for sure that I would not trust a tire with a patch on the sidewall. Maybe as a spare, but that's it.

I just don't know anything about tubes, so I'm unsure as to whether they are safer and much sturdier than patches.

I guess that is the question, is putting a tube in a tire with a sidewall cut considerably safer than patching it? If it is similar in strength/safety/reliability to a sidewall patch, then I will most definitely NOT do it.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

we used to patch sidewalls at the shop all the time
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I dont think youll get a shop to patch a sidewall. too much liability My opinion is use the tire with a tube as a spare ,thats it. Many times we neglect safety for ourselves , but we share the roads with others. Sorry for the bad news
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.