Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Nitto 420s 305 55 22 safe to drive on?

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Piggsdiezel 
#1 ·
The title should be 305 45 22 first off. My bad it's my first time posting. So I have seen tons of people driving on the nitto 420 tire and would really like to get some for my 22s but this tire is 4 or 6 ply rated. My truck is not my towing truck so I would not tow on the tires just daily drive and lots of interstate driving. Isn't this tire rated way too low to install? Thanks for the advice.

#2 ·
"Safe" is a relative term that includes a lot more than just a tire's rating. You actually answered your own question when you mentioned the weak sidewall. Its not a 6ply tire, or it would have a "Light Truck - Load Range C" rating, which is the lowest rating for light truck tires. I dont know for sure, but I even doubt it has a 4 ply sidewall rating, probably 3 ply and could even have a 2 ply rating. Use them on a lighter 1/2 ton truck? Maybe. But there is a reason it is listed under "passenger car" tires (2 - 3ply rating) on Nitto's website, and not under the "Light Truck" tire section :confused013:

Reactions: Piggsdiezel
#4 ·
Im not saying people cant "get away" with running them without issues, but why take the chance on something happening? Not worth the risk of losing everything I own in a lawsuit, just to run the wrong tires on my truck.... all for a coolness factor :confused013:

#6 ·
I run the 305/50r20 and there rated for 3086 lbs@ 50 psi and tow all the time .. nothing super HUGE but between 4-10k lbs and have no problems ... on my 2ed set of tires actually ... I am sure if you loaded it like a retard you would have problems ................

but the 305/45r22 is rated for 2910 lbs @ 50 psi ... I see no reason why it would be a problem unless you had a mega cab and were always overloaded but these tires do put you at a higher risk of hurting a rim

#7 ·
305/50/20 is the size that seems to be most popular. At least that's what I see most people running. How many miles did you put on your first set? The tire can definitely hold the weight of the truck unloaded but is the tire not thick? I guess what I'm trying to ask is would the tire be easy to puncture by road debris?

#8 ·
I think I got about 25-30k out of them but I drive like a jack romping on it everywhere and there was a few burn outs here and there.... shoot every time I go to my buddys I still see 2 marks I left like 6 months ago lol

The puncturing question is hard for me too actually answer... If something sharp was to hit the sidewall or a nail pointed in the right direction any tire will get messed up ... I feel the tires are thick but there not stiff like a 8ply or higher tire

Reactions: dieselzamust
#9 ·
Havent been running them long but my 03 2500 is running the 420's on a 22x12 with a -44 offset. Looks great IMO and I've had buddies run them for a really long time. None of the trucks I've seen with them installed are hauling anything crazy. I would imagine that they wouldn't be ideal for any real weight though .... Guess it all depends on what you use the truck for .... Just my 2 pennies

#10 ·
I personally have not run these tires, but I have several close friends who run these tires in both sizes listed above, and tow with them on a fairly regular basis. As mentioned above "safe" is a relative term, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. One friend in particular has a set of the 305/45R22s on his 4th gen Mega and tows his 28ft enclosed race trailer with his 3rd gen RCLB 4x4 truck inside going on 2 years now with no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.