runs rough and blows white smoke on startup - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > General Forums > Technical Service Bulletins & Recall Support
Technical Service Bulletins & Recall Support Specific discussion of New and Old TSB's For the Cummins Powered Dodge Rams ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
runs rough and blows white smoke on startup

my 2006 5.9 (15K miles) began running rough when I started it cold(70degrees) and blowing white smoke about two weeks ago.

I took it to the dealer, they could find nothing and of course it didn't do it at the dealership(engine warm). Dealer reset the computer but it still does it.

Took it back to the dealer, he has had it for two days says it does not run rough or blow smoke. He still has the truck.

Any ideas on this??
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

fuel pressure low?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

how can i check the fuel pressure
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

should be a port on the fuel rail or general vicinity to hook a pressure gauge up to, another thing to do is get some gauges for your truck, fuel pressure, boost, egt, trans temp. so you can keep an eye on everything while driving, and since it's an rv puller, i would suggest getting them soon. or maybe the edge juice w/attitude since it has all the gauges on the in cab monitor.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

does anyone make a gage package? I intend to get the Edge once my warranty is up. I was told it would void the warranty.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

might want to check either the full pressure or the fuel filter. i had that problem on a cold engine start not cold weather but cold engine and i had white smoke and really rough running. changed the fuel filter has not done it since.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I took mine in for the same problem in Nov 07. dealer said no flash was available.
took it back last week and flash was available. Truck has no symptons so far.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
my truck actually did this when the first oil change was due... and flashed a code dealership said it was common???? how long has it been since you changed the oil?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I prefer the quad monitor cause it does rail pressure also. The edge might but if you ever get tired of the edge chip it wont work with another chip/programmer as far as i know. And quadzilla chips arent traceable if you take them off. PM me if you are interested about it i dont mark them up much. As for the smoke.. could be an injector but most of the time an injector would do it constantly. It also depends on whether it was stuck open/closed. When i had an injector go out it didnt white smoke but it just dumped fuel into the oil. Check the oil level, and see if it smells like diesel or if it is thin. Also, if this is happening your oil pressure will drop so watch that too. Even after replacing the injectors mine had a small amount of visible smoke on startup in cold weather, but it quickly cleared. It could be the lift pump also. Dealer should be able to do a flow test on the lift pump for about fifty dollars. This is what they quoted me when i suspected mine was going out. Lift pump should sound like your running out of diesel if its bad. Some things you should try: I dont know how cold it is, but you might consider pluggin in your diesel cause the low sulfer gels bad. You could also try some fuel additive.. i use power services whenever i cant afford schaeffers. If it gets cold there, get additive that advertises anti-gel. Thats about all i can think of unless you can give some more symptoms.
04.5 Red CC DRW 4x4- Billet auto, triple disk TC, 5'' TB w/9'' black tip, Smarty,tc and smoke switch, Volant Stg 2, F1 Flux 2 injectors, PPE 150-GDP Filters08 DMAX CC SB-6" stacks Socal ECM, GONE-dpf, egr, speed limiter95 powerstroke sc lb-6"haulers 305's
H.O.T. Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

not cold here, mid 60s at night mid 80s during the day. I had the dealer change the oil last week when I first took it in as it had almost 15k miles on the truck.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Definetly go with the juice with attitude. Very nice and lots of power and adjustments with all the gauges you will need to monitor. Yes you can piggy back on the juice with attitude I think. Atleast in the second gen stuff.
[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]2002 Dodge 24 valve Cummins 2500 4wd shortbed, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Fass HPFP 150,edge stage 1 injectors, nv5600 6 speed, Straight Piped, BHAF w/ pre-filter, Rhino Liner, HBS Level Kit, Procomp ES9000 shocks, 107,000 miles
IPOLUTE is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

well, after nine days the dealer told me they replaced the trucks computer and it should be fine. However when I was leaving the service manager told me that it would Idle rough and blow smoke upon cold start for awhile. I told him that was why I brought it to him in the first place. he said I could have gotten some bad fuel. I told him this was the third tank full since it started blowing smoke and ideled rough on cold start.

Two days later I took it to another dealer, he told me that they had hooked up their machine and could find nothing wrong with the truck after two days. I went outside and started it and let it blow smoke into their shop as I left. I had even brought them a copy of the TSB on rough idle and blowing smoke on cold start. They said that was just a gudeline and they saw nothing wrong. Truck has 14,200 miles on it.

Any ideas on this?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.