Cummins Diesel Forum banner

*Fuel additives?????? - NS

13K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  WorkhorseDiesel 
#1 ·
While cruisin a few other diesel forums, I run across at least one or two posts about running some sort of additive in the fuel. Would this be recommended for a new truck with only 6k miles on it? :confused:

G
#3 ·
Another thing to consider when buying an additive is most have a centane improver that will yeild enough economicgain to justify the cost of the additive so the lubricity qualities simply become added bennies from that point

#4 ·
Stanadyne Performance Formula........I highly recommend this stuff.

I use it year 'round, and believe in it's quality. Especially the anti-gelling properties--I use straight #2 and with a 1/2 pint of Stanadyne per 30 gallons of fuel all winter and never gel up.

G
#5 · (Edited)
Ok ill give it a shot ....

LAYMENS TERMS

theres 2 major types of Diesel Fuel Additives

Emulisfiers and Demusifiers

Emulisfiers Clump up water particals in the fuel making it easier for the OEM water seperater to catch how ever if it misses then you get a slight miss .... Emulisfiers are Stanadyne , Power service ect....

Demusifiers Break apart the water into very small particals that get trapped by the OEM water seperator if it misses the amont is so small its passes un noticed Demusifiers are RED LINE avalible at auto zone

I use Red Line because IMO the OEM water seperater is a joke and I dont want big particals going threw all at once

Also I dont want my fuel to gel on me and by keeping the water particals seperated there is less of a chance

~~~~~~Disclaimer~~~~~~
This has been brought to you from sector 3 quardrant 8 of my brain from a tdr post over a year ago ,,,, other not so usefull info is in this area also so bare with me

DM

#6 · (Edited)
Whitmore said:
Another thing to consider when buying an additive is most have a centane improver that will yeild enough economicgain to justify the cost of the additive so the lubricity qualities simply become added bennies from that point
I noticed with the silver bottle Power Service cetane improver that my results in mph gain were mixed. One day I came across an article on cetane improvers (wish I could find it again) that explained it to me.
It appears that most cetane improvers use liquid nitrous oxide to improve cetane, problem is it turns into gas in your tank and escapes though the tank vents over time.
After I learned this experimented and sure enough if I added PS cetane improver and drove straight though a tank I gained 2 mpgs, if the tank sat for a couple of days there was no mpg gain at all.
Buyer beware, you might be wasting your money unless on a long trip.

Quit using Stanadyne several years ago because the stuff gels up at 10F, at minus 10 you can't even pour it out of the can. Heck if I'm going to cruise around with the stinky stuff in my cab to keep it usable.
Never had a gelling problem with any other additive I've used.

G
#7 ·
Alot of good info here and I am still learning.......I have been using the Lucas stuff, got me a couple cases at cost so took advantage of it, small bottle good for 30 gallons..................I need to go out to the shop on a cold morning and see how this stuff is doing on the gell issue.....this blows me away

#8 ·
I too use the power services cetane improver. And like Bill, I have noticed a MPG improvment as well as a power increase. I have never let my truck sit long enough to see if it evaperates, but havent paid attention either. The Stanadyne is the shiznit but price and availability in my area make it an inconvenent alternative.

Bottom line, look for something with cetane improver and lubricity adder. Those are the 2 things that are missing with todays diesel at the pumps.

G
#9 ·
Some good reading here as to how the low sulfer diesel will effect our elastomers (O-Rings) in the fuel systems

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/documents/elastomer_chevron_tb_2005Aug.pdf

Another good one here on the low suler fuel and its lack of lubicating properties, lower centane numbers and lower BTU content

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/diesel/ulsd.shtml#A9

I highly recommend the use of an additive year round, I spent some years delivering fuel for Flying J and where we picked up the majority of our base fuel was from Conoco/Phillips, upon delivery of the fuel to the station it was our responsibility to add the "additive package" to the bulk fuel.............what I am saying is that sometimes we ran out and the additive didnt always get to the consumer in the end....................dont take that chance

G
#15 ·
Here is some more info from Diesel Injection Services

Why do I need to add an additive in my diesel fuel?

A better word for additive would be treatment. A treatment is needed when the diesel fuel is lacking a substance or has a contaminant. This is very obvious in winter time when the temperature gets cold enough to wax up. Treatment with a winterizer lowers the wax point of the diesel fuel to a lower temperature similar to the way adding antifreeze lowers the freezing point of water. The most common reason for treating diesel fuel is to provide extra lubrication. Almost every fuel injection component requires the diesel to lubricate at least some part of that component. Since low sulfur fuel was introduced, the lubricating quality of diesel fuel has varied greatly. Some suppliers put in an additive for this and some do not. Each tank of fuel you fill up with can be different. Since low sulfur fuel began being used in on-highway vehicles we've seen the life expectancy of the fuel injection system drop as much as 25%. This is great for the repair business but bad for diesel vehicles in general especially since fuel injection components keep getting more and more expensive to repair. Taking this into consideration, treating diesel fuel with a lubricant is more like an insurance policy against wear and although it does not stop the wear, consistent use can delay repairs considerably. However, caution should be made not to treat your fuel with an additive containing ALCOHOL. The alcohol has been proven to deteriorate some fuel injection components quicker and could even cause long term engine damage.

With an additive like STANADYNE PERFORMANCE FORMULA you not only get the winterizer and the lubricant amongst other benefits you also get a 5 point cetane increase and in turn up to an 8% fuel economy gain to help pay for the protection you get by adding the lubricant.

#16 ·
I'm like everyone else here... I use a "treatment" in every tank. For the most part I use Power Service in the white bottle many because that's what I been getting since 94' but have used the grey bottle a few time too. I never noticed a difference between the two type of PS. If I can't get the PS I use the Lucas brand. Both brands are very good IMO.

#18 ·
I'm a PowerService fan myself... But it hard to get ahold of it around here. I need to get more now but it will be awhile till I get to Lewiston, ID or Boise, ID...

Locally they sell PS but it the small bottle at the large bottle price! :fist:

#19 ·
Use Schaeffer's Diesel Treat 2000 (#137 Summer & #137A Winter) with every go juice fillup. Info at following link - http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/137A.pdf. Use an empty Crown Royal whiskey bottle to store the fuel treatment while on the road. Definitely get interesting looks from other fuel patrons when they watch me pour the contents of a whiskey bottle into the fuel tank.

#20 ·
Have any of you guys heard/used a product called Amalgamated #15 fuel additive?

It is by far the best product I've ever used....
The story is the fellow (a chemist) who developed this stuff was originally asked by Stanadyne to develope a fuel additive and he set about doing so....
Now, again this is only what I've been told, but Stanadyne wanted him to alter the product because there was not enough "margin" between manufacturing cost and retail pricing..
He took his product and left....
This was apparently the origin of this additive.

My brother ordered a 5 gallon drum (smallest order option). He had it delivered to his doorstep here in Canada for approx $125.00 CD.....
Again my brother asked for some info on it prior to ordering and he received a complete 3 ring binder on the product/components/application/effects of each component in the product....very comprehensive..
This product is even better than the SPF I've used and still use on occasion.
Look into it and see what you think....

bob...

#26 ·
i used to run powerservice....but i got hooked on amsoil cetaine boost....along with a bottle of marvel mystery oil to a tank of fuel....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.